PDA

View Full Version : Stevens favorite

coop
08-09-2011, 12:18 AM
I picked up an old Stevens favorite (1894 I think)in firing but rough shape in the bore.Any good place to look for a repro barrel,or a good used one .I found lots of parts,no barrels.

Wambli Ska
08-09-2011, 01:36 AM
I have an old Stevens .22 that has a pretty rough chamber/bore but still shoots surprisingly well. It does need to be cleaned a lot more frequent than a regular gun with a nice barrel but I don't shoot it enough to really care. I would not rush to get a new barrel (Not that I think you'll even find a replacement) until you have a chance to test this one for accuracy, it might shock you. If you decide that a new barrel is needed it is a lot easier to bore out the existing barrel and install a barrel liner which then can be chambered etc. If done correctly you will have to look REALLY closely to notice the liner and you will mainatain the original look/age of the piece.

Medicine Hat
08-09-2011, 02:24 AM
I think Brownells has bore liner kits.
edit, just checked, and they do have. 770-100-022 Ther part # for a .22cal, 1-16 twist, 25 in. length.
also a good article on the use of same.

tennmike
08-09-2011, 02:10 PM
The Brownell's liner is a good deal, and not that hard to install. You do need the special drill, though.

Numrich Gun Parts has a replacement barrel for the 1915 model that is half round half octagon. Don't know if it would fit or not, though.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=593550&filter=stevens+favorite+barrel&catid=0

Big Al1
08-09-2011, 02:29 PM
I have the same rifle that belonged to my father. I installed the Brownell's barrel liner, shoots great and dosen't change the original looks of the gun.
If you don't want to do it yourself Redman's http://www.redmansrifling.com/liners.htm
can do it for about the cost of a liner, drill, and chamber reamer.

Wambli Ska
08-09-2011, 03:03 PM
The Brownell's liner is a good deal, and not that hard to install. You do need the special drill, though.

Numrich Gun Parts has a replacement barrel for the 1915 model that is half round half octagon. Don't know if it would fit or not, though.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=593550&filter=stevens+favorite+barrel&catid=0

Well I stand corrected. I should have looked there before I spoke :bang:

calebib
08-09-2011, 03:21 PM
I have an old Stevens .22 that has a pretty rough chamber/bore but still shoots surprisingly well. It does need to be cleaned a lot more frequent than a regular gun with a nice barrel but I don't shoot it enough to really care. I would not rush to get a new barrel (Not that I think you'll even find a replacement) until you have a chance to test this one for accuracy, it might shock you. If you decide that a new barrel is needed it is a lot easier to bore out the existing barrel and install a barrel liner which then can be chambered etc. If done correctly you will have to look REALLY closely to notice the liner and you will mainatain the original look/age of the piece.

What he said. If done correctly it can be very difficult to tell that a liner has been installed and they tend to shoot very well afterwards. I've installed a few of them and they are pretty easy.

tennmike
08-09-2011, 03:41 PM
Well I stand corrected. I should have looked there before I spoke :bang:

Don't feel too bad. I had to LOOK pretty good to find it. It wasn't listed in the parts breakout for the Favorite rifles. Had to a search for -Stevens Favorite barrel- on their site. Knew they were listed in the catalog, but didn't want to get a hernia lifting the catalog!

coop
08-10-2011, 12:57 AM
Thanks for the help folks!Ive always thought these were neat little guns,grandad had a few of these,a crackshot,and a Hamilton.Im not really mechanically inclined so Im none too sure about relining barrel on my own.The bore is pretty nasty,cleaned it thoroughly,still rough.Not sure if barrel on Brownells would mate with mine,Ill call and check.