I am now a Muzzle loading hunter

2»

Replies

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,291 Senior Member
    I get Ballistol in the spray can, so I have been thinking about trying it.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    I get Ballistol in the spray can, so I have been thinking about trying it.

Where do you get your Ballistol? Teach told me where to get some, but my mind is so full of information I can't seem to sort it out. I know I've seen it somewhere, just can't remember where.

However, I have a cousin and his son that are machinist and have a big shop, so I may go see if I can bum some of that veggie based cutting oil.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
    Your in box is full

I understand that deer yards are not the same as USCS (US customary system) yards. Just something you have to remember with real BP rifles. There used to be a RB chart by lyman but I cant seem to find it and I really have to get to work :), .... here try this http://www.epmuzzleloaders.com/ballistics.html

This might be interesting to http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREARMS/lyman_blackpowder.pdf

Velocity isnt the entire deal with roundball. You have to find a happy spot between the twist rate and the load. If it is 1:48 you are going to find that a moderate load will probably work better for you.
    try this one for a idea of what the ball is doing.. http://home.insightbb.com/~bspen/trajectories.html

at 1800 he is shooting a warm load.
    try this one for a idea of what the ball is doing.. http://home.insightbb.com/~bspen/trajectories.html

at 1800 he is shooting a warm load.

I see, said the blind man... Actually I get it. Point blank range is what you sight in for which gives you a wide kill range. But what do you think the velocity of a 175 grain 50 cal round ball is going with 70 to 75 grains of black powder out of the muzzle?
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,075 Senior Member
    Snake- - - - -you're over-thinking things again! Every smokepole has a "sweet spot" where powder charge, patch thickness, and twist rate combine to produce the most accurate load. Once you find it by moving up or down on the powder charge and/or patch thickness, and the balls are grouping well, then shoot for POI at different ranges. You will learn very quickly what the gun's limitations are. Do not change the powder charge trying to stretch the range! Nothing- - - -and I mean NOTHING substitutes for range time with a caplock or a flinter. All the charts in the world will not make up for producing lots of stinky smoke, so don't try to analyze things- - - -SHOOT!

Once you're doing well with the Hawkwen, then we can move on to a long-barreled flinter with a slow twist and take the learning curve to a higher level.

Ballistol:

http://www.midwayusa.com/brand/ballistol

Don't waste money on the aerosol- - - -the 16-oz. can of liquid will last you several years. Ballistol is also a good skunk repellent- - - -it stinks!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    Teach wrote: »
    Snake- - - - -you're over-thinking things again! Every smokepole has a "sweet spot" where powder charge, patch thickness, and twist rate combine to produce the most accurate load. Once you find it by moving up or down on the powder charge and/or patch thickness, and the balls are grouping well, then shoot for POI at different ranges. You will learn very quickly what the gun's limitations are. Do not change the powder charge trying to stretch the range! Nothing- - - -and I mean NOTHING substitutes for range time with a caplock or a flinter. All the charts in the world will not make up for producing lots of stinky smoke, so don't try to analyze things- - - -SHOOT!

Once you're doing well with the Hawkwen, then we can move on to a long-barreled flinter with a slow twist and take the learning curve to a higher level.

Ballistol:

http://www.midwayusa.com/brand/ballistol

Don't waste money on the aerosol- - - -the 16-oz. can of liquid will last you several years. Ballistol is also a good skunk repellent- - - -it stinks!
    Jerry

I'm not really overthinking it. Not really thinking period. I was just curious about where i am at this point. If it groups well at 100 with this load, good, If not I can play with it as you say. But I am just curious is all.
    When the next care package arrives, the dry lube patches will start your load development all over again. It's surprising how much better it will shoot than with that greasy pillow ticking!
    Jerry
    aerosol good

It isnt just for patches, it goes everywhere WD-40 would except it does a better job. The odor has changed over the last few years. When I first started using it, if it wouldnt have worked well, I would have pitched it. Now its not so bad.
    snake284-1 wrote: »
    I see, said the blind man... Actually I get it. Point blank range is what you sight in for which gives you a wide kill range. But what do you think the velocity of a 175 grain 50 cal round ball is going with 70 to 75 grains of black powder out of the muzzle?

A completely, yanked from the postieror guess would be 1650-1700.

I shoot 80gr 2F in the longrifle for a hunting load which dropped a doe at about 60 yards with one in the boiler room, and in the Lyman with the roundball twist I was shooting a max load of 3f and that took a doe at about 85-90 where I took a shoulder shot and got a bit fwd and took out the base of the neck. I really havent had the time to play with the longrifle like I want to and I AM going to try the dry lube in it, and I have .530's and 535's to mess with.

Like I said before, you have a compromise twist 1:48, it should shoot balls OK and bullets (lead) OK. The guys that I have seen shooting well with them are loading a lot more to the low side 70ish gr 2F. Just keep your long range shots at 100 and you should be golden. The other thing that you have to remember is that trajectory drops off a roundball because velocity is dropping. If velocity is dropping then energy is dropping. I am not a huge fan of saying that you need X lbs of force to kill a deer, they aint that tough, but since I can drive to Wendys if I decide to pass one up, I figure that I don't need to push it.
    If you decide to chronograph any BP loads, set up the skyscreens about twice the distance away from the bench as you'd do with smokeless powder. The smoke cloud can mess with the chrono reading if the sensors are too close to the muzzle.
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    If you decide to chronograph any BP loads, set up the skyscreens about twice the distance away from the bench as you'd do with smokeless powder. The smoke cloud can mess with the chrono reading if the sensors are too close to the muzzle.
    Jerry

I can see how it would. Sometimes I have had trouble with lighting on a clear day.
2»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file