Ruger 10/22 Scope Recommendation

Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior MemberPosts: 972 Senior Member
I finally got to shoot the Ruger 10/22 that I bought last year when Cabelas offered me a great deal. While it handled great, the sights (plane Jane wood carbine) were a problem for me. My eyes just aren't what they were. I decided a scope would make it more fun to shoot. I plan on using the rifle for inexpensive practice and plinking. I am not planning on pimping this gun out- just want a fun gun.

Can someone recommend a good low cost scope to me?

Replies

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,086 Senior Member
    Define: low cost.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,291 Senior Member
    I have a Busnell on mine, inexpensive and works well. I can't really see spending a lot on a rimfire scope. Mainly what I do is just use a take off scope from something else that I put better optics on which is how all 3 of my rimfire rifles got their scopes.

Ruger1022targetrifle.jpg
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,416 Senior Member
    Bushnell has a .22 scope that seems to be a good scope, and priced right. Whatever you get, make sure you have an adjustable objective for close in shots. I like a fixed 4X scope on .22s but you can't find them any more at a decent price.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,365 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    Bushnell has a .22 scope that seems to be a good scope, and priced right. Whatever you get, make sure you have an adjustable objective for close in shots. I like a fixed 4X scope on .22s but you can't find them any more at a decent price.

I do as well....I have an old weaver fine crosshair one on one of my .22's and really like the combo

You could check some of your LGS and see if they have any older fixed power scopes for sale.
    You can usually pick them up very reasonably priced
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,643 Senior Member
    Weaver has served me well on rim fires.
    Gene L wrote: »

Im REALLY digging my fixed 4X. Its a Nikkon rimfire scope.
    Zee
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 972 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Define: low cost.

I am more of a pistol guy than a rifleman. I only bought the Ruger because Cabelas had a great deal on them. With cheap ammo and the ability to use it on "short" ranges, I figured it would be a fun gun to have and shoot.

I don't know enough about the 10/22 to know if there is a good, low cost option or if there are only bad, cheap options (I love the cheap sushi ad on TV). If I need to save up to get acceptable optics, I will. But, I don't want to save up to get the best available either.

In car terms: I want Honda - not a Mercedes or a Pinto.
  • rallykidrallykid Senior Member Posts: 657 Senior Member
    A lot of decent reviews on some of the low end scopes like the Simmons 22 Mag and the BSA sweet 22. Personally I was looking for a budget scope and as much of a bashing as they take and personal issues people have had with the owner of the company I ended up with a Mueller APV 4.5-14 x40 on one of my rimfires. The glass was a lot clearer than most of the low end scopes and the guys at rimfire central love them. Are they a high end scope? No. Are hey going to compare to a $400+ scope? No. However it was had locally for $89. It is definitely better than anything else in that price range and gives the best bang for the buck. Even at the $130 they are going for online they are worth it as long as you are not expecting $800 in features for $130. For the majority of people they work just fine. I am buying 2 more for upcoming rimfire projects I am planning so obviously it is good enough for my application.

It may be a bit more scope than you are looking for but don't discount the brand. Here it is on my Savage.

IMG_27732.JPG
    No, I do not have a pink fuzzy bunny fetish but apparently my Facebook hacking wife does.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,617 Senior Member
    Weaver RV7 2.5-7x28mm. Run you about $150
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    The guy a Cabelas tried to convince me their store brand was a good option using the base that came with the rifle.

I am thinking that a Nikon might be worth saving up for.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,209 Senior Member
    When I had 10-22, I had a Bushnell and it worked quite well.

I now have a Savage .22, and it's topped with a Burris 3x9 rimfire that I really like.

Bellcat
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
    bruchi wrote: »

I have been trying to figure out the difference between Nikon's Porstaff and their P models like this one.
    http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-P-223-3x32-Matte-Carbine/dp/B006Z07JTE/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1359751768&sr=1-3&keywords=nikon+scope+rimfire

With sales, it looks like I can get a pretty nice Nikon for under $150 but not under $100.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    I like midway and some of the rest but when jerm posted a link to Natchez shooters supplies some time ago, I tried them and it's been a good experience. Here's a link to their .22 scope offers. I swear I think they must have some special deal with Burris, seems like they often have a rebate offer on Burris scopes. Lat one I bought had a $50 rebate which I recently received. Anyway, here's the link:

https://www.natchezss.com/accountInfo.cfm#q%3D.22%2520rifle%2520scopes
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 13,808 Senior Member
    Sightron has a 3-9x SI scope on sale at Midway for $99. If not, there are some refurbished Nikon 2-7x p-22's at Natchez for $110. It really depends on what you want. What you have to watch on a rimfire scope is the parallax. Most of the regular rifle scopes are set for 100 yards. The rimfire scopes are set at 50.

Midway's Sightron...
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/147249/sightron-si-rimfire-rifle-scope-3-9x-32mm-fine-crosshair-reticle-matte
    Natchez's Nikon...
    http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=NK8498BR&src=exrbSrch
    New Plan: sell the Ruger to finance the wife's new news. Thought my daycare bills were about over.
    New Plan: sell the Ruger to finance the wife's new news. Thought my daycare bills were about over.
    You know what? If you are financing those, you are doing something wrong. They don't cost anything to make (maybe dinner and a few drinks), but will put you in the poorhouse later on. Uh... Congratulations. Do you got any new guns for the new addition? May I suggest a 10/22.

What kind of scope are you going to get for it?
    ...the wife's new news.
    Shouldn't you be posting that in the "Unintended Discharge" thread?
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    :rotflmao:

congratulations (??) Uncle Fester
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.

It was definitely intended. We just had an unexpected bout of accuracy.
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    I have been trying to figure out the difference between Nikon's Porstaff and their P models like this one.
    http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-P-223-3x32-Matte-Carbine/dp/B006Z07JTE/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1359751768&sr=1-3&keywords=nikon+scope+rimfire

With sales, it looks like I can get a pretty nice Nikon for under $150 but not under $100.

The scope on the link here is designed for the ballistics of most 55 grain 223 rounds, it is sort of a dedicated AR scope.

I got some time ago with some luck and perseverance a plain jane new Nikon 2-7X for $89 and shipping but that was some time ago.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Im REALLY digging my fixed 4X. Its a Nikkon rimfire scope.

cpj, what would one like that cost?
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!

With the rimfire scopes the Parallax is set at 50 yards. With the regular Nikon I think it's set at either 100 or 150. For a rimfire unless you're shooting for real tight groups I doubt you'd know the difference. I have a 3-9x40 Simmons Whitetail scope on my 10-22 and it's ok. However, I think the reason it doesn't shoot MOA is because of the Parallax.

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    snake284-1 wrote: »
    cpj, what would one like that cost?

I have the older version of this one.
    Not sure if is the best price, it was just the first thing googled retrieved...
    http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-ProStaff-Rimfire-Riflescope-Nikoplex/dp/B004MYBLXK
    Zee

Yeah I went to the sight and I liked the regular Rimfire version of the 3-9x40 because these eyes of mine aren't getting any better. Better still the P-22 2-7x32, but it's a little more expensive. Wish my eyes were 30 years younger. 4x used to be perfect for me.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 8,499 Senior Member

That's only $5 more than I paid for one at WalMart...... oh..... 4-5 years ago?
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 8,499 Senior Member
    I recently picked up a Leupold VX-I 2-7x on sale. It is now on my custom 10/22. Great scope, nice fine crosshair. Extremely clear
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    snake284-1 wrote: »
    With the rimfire scopes the Parallax is set at 50 yards. With the regular Nikon I think it's set at either 100 or 150. For a rimfire unless you're shooting for real tight groups I doubt you'd know the difference. I have a 3-9x40 Simmons Whitetail scope on my 10-22 and it's ok. However, I think the reason it doesn't shoot MOA is because of the Parallax.

Thanks. I accidentally picked the AR scope. I meant the difference between their P Series scopes and their Prostaff lines. The prices seem to overlap for some of the rimfire models.
  • U TU T Member Posts: 403 Member
    I just bought 2 new scopes for my .22's, for a 10-22 and win 52. I was going squirrel hunting a couple of weeks ago, and went to grab the 10-22, and no scope, so I reached for the Winchester, and again, no scope! I had forgotten that I had taken them both off, and put on different guns. I ended up getting a Bushnell Banner Dusk & Dawn 4x12x40 for $129.00 at Gander Mountain, and a Nikon Buckmasters 4.5 x 14 x 40 Side Focus for $259 on sale at Cabela's. Both have adjustable objectives, which I feel is best for .22 scopes. They both seem nice, although haven't shot with either yet, and this is my first side focus scope, and I think I'm really going to like that feature. 001_zps81e43f50.jpg004_zps654a4907.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file