Do you still have your first firearm?

Replies

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,291 Senior Member
    Yep, a hand me down Win mod 67 rifle, not the boys rifle. It still shoots 3/4 or less at 25 yards, 1.5 inches right. I would be afraid to change it because then I might add the SWAG like I have been doing for 40 years and miss.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,203 Senior Member
    When I was 18, (1960) I purchased my ammo from the local 7-11
    bowserb wrote: »
    Talk about a blast from the past...on several levels. I remember when Western Auto sold just about everything I was interested in. And every kid on our block--it seems like--had a bolt action single shot .22, except for me. My first was a handgun: H&R .25 cal in 1972, for home protection for my wife when I was away or working late. Gave it to my mother a few years later, and then I had no guns until 2004, when the invasion of the Katrina "evacuees" raised the crime rate here, and home protection seemed a good idea again. FNH FNP-9. Then a CHL and a Springfield XD9-SC for carry. Then a Glock 19 primarily for my wife to carry, although she never did, but I carried the Glock for about four years. The FNH and the XD9 are both gone and replaced with an XDm-45, which for some reason I can shoot better than all three of the others, from the first box of 100 WWB, so the XDm is my carry weapon now and the Glock is in the safe.

Welcome, Virginia Boy...are you sure you're not Virginia Codger? You seem like my age!
  • lone wolflone wolf New Member Posts: 11 New Member
    Still got my Topper model 58 sigle shot 20 gauge I think it wa 1976. I gave my Sears .22 and my brothers Topper to my one of my sons last year when I moved
  • 45er45er Member Posts: 53 Member
    Savage Model 110 in .243 Win. I still have it and occasionally still hunt with it. My wife shot her first deer with it. I'll never get rid of that gun. I can't even start to remember how many deer I've killed with it.
  • Kevin M ThomasKevin M Thomas Member Posts: 56 Member
    Why Yes I do, it is a 870 wingmaster in syn, parkerized wiht a custom camo paint job. love that thing.
  • Jim TomJim Tom Member Posts: 338 Member
    Dang, Hip Shot, I read your post and had to look again, I thought it was mine! My dad got me a Model 1200 WinChoke 12 guage Winchester for my 15th Christmas too, only it was 1969 (I think I got my dates right, been awhile). Still have it, and took a nice Tom with it a couple of years ago.
  • skwirrelskwirrel Member Posts: 170 Member
    10/22 in 1990. I still have it.
    Live long and prosper.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,505 Senior Member
    I still have the first one I bought, a Winchester 250 I bought back in 1964, which I posted here,  but not the first one I owned, which was IIRC a Springfield copy of a Stevens, pull-cock in .22.  Had a hardwood stock. Got it for Christmas in about 1960 and a box of Remington Gold bullets.  I killed a squirrel with it on my first shot, right through the head, on the day after Christmas.  My second one was a Win model 37 shotgun, which I gave to my nephew about 25 years ago.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,236 Senior Member
    Holy Zombies, Batman!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,377 Senior Member
    I don't have any of my first guns, I gave them to my sons. The first was a Rem 514 single shot. It was a Christmas present in 1968. I shot, hunted and taught my kids to shoot with it. The second was also a Christmas present the next year a Win 37a single shot 12 gauge with a with a full choke. The thing kicked like a mule, had a plastic butt plate and I could never hit with it. It almost turned me off to shotgunning. As an adult I realized it was an inch too long for me. I cut it down, added a recoil pad and replaced the forfend that had split from the recoil. I hated that thing and sold it before my move from CA. When I was 16 I worked all summer to but a 94 Win/30-30 circa 1973 from a friend. I gave that to my youngest son as iron sights aren't good with old eyes. 
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 1,901 Senior Member
    Yes & it is a Monkey wards 410 bolt action for squirrel hunting with my dad at around 10 years old.

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,092 Senior Member

No, if you count a BB gun or pellet gun as a firearm. However, the first firearm I shot on a regular basis was my dad's Winchester Model 41 .410 single shot shotgun. I inherited it from him when he passed. The firing ping is worn down or the firing pin spring has weakened to the point it will no longer fire, though. Its hanging on my office wall at the moment.

One of these days I plan to fix that.  Maybe.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 1,901 Senior Member

No, if you count a BB gun or pellet gun as a firearm. However, the first firearm I shot on a regular basis was my dad's Winchester Model 41 .410 single shot shotgun. I inherited it from him when he passed. The firing ping is worn down or the firing pin spring has weakened to the point it will no longer fire, though. Its hanging on my office wall at the moment.

One of these days I plan to fix that.  Maybe.

It is always nice to have to old ones in working order . With time the parts just get harder to find. Yours sounds like a easy fix Jerry so go for it !
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,212 Senior Member
    My first was a Marlin 336 30-30. Long gone.

Wish I could say a 22 was my first, but I hunted small game with my Dad's Remington bolt action 12 ga shotgun.
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,120 Senior Member
    No, SS3 has it.

"The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,230 Senior Member
    I was born in 1960.  My pop welcomed me into the world with a 1960 Belgium Browning SA .22 rifle.  I don't think we took it out of the box to shoot until I was four or five.  To me it's the sexiest looking .22lr ever made.  To this day it's still my pride and joy!  There are two rifles and two shotguns that are in my will that I will leave to my boys.  Their are expletive instructions that they are never to be sold outside of the family!  

I'm currently looking for 2017 Browning SA 22 rifle for my first grandson.  I'm doing for him what my pop did for me.  I just hope he treasures it like I treasure mine!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • Red HorseRed Horse Member Posts: 93 Member
    Sure do.  Ithaca M49 .22 single shot lever action with a Martini type breech.  Got it for Christmas 1961 (11 yrs old) from my most favorite uncle.  He also made me a leather cartridge belt to go with it.
    zu Gleich

"Better is the enemy of Good"
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 1,998 Senior Member
    edited April 1 #79
    Bought in Nov 1969 and still have it

• MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,133 Senior Member
    Yes I do. An early '70s Colt Trooper MK III that my dad gave me around 1993. It was the first firearm I shot.
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 680 Senior Member
    edited April 1 #81
    My first firearm, the first one I bought myself that is, was a Sterling .22 semi auto made in the Phillippines
    That was some 40 plus years ago.
    My Mother came to the gun shop with me,
    And that would be a big No
    I do not still have the rifle.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • FlashoverFlashover Member Posts: 384 Member
    My first gun was my Dads first gun he bought himself when he was 14. It is a C.I.L. 111 made by Anschutz. .

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,196 Senior Member
    I guess I never answered on round one many moons back.  No but I have managed to replace them with good specimens of the exact guns including my first two .22 CO2 Crosman guns.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,236 Senior Member
    Nope. Unfortunately, it was lost or stolen - in any even, it disappeared. A Winchester 1890 in .22LR - takedown version. My great grandfather gave it to my mother when she was 10. She usually shot .22 shorts in it as they were cheaper. I'm still irritated that it vanished - maybe I'll pick up another one sometime...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • Lonewolf-PeruLonewolf-Peru Member Posts: 330 Member
    A Sears model 41 22lr. My Dad bought it in 1968. Great little gun.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,998 Senior Member
    Old Ron said:
    Yes & it is a Monkey wards 410 bolt action for squirrel hunting with my dad at around 10 years old.

That's probably made by Mossberg for Mon key Wards because it is the spitten image of my old Mossberg of the same mold. My ex has it in Mo. as I lost it in a divorce.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,998 Senior Member
    I still have the first gun I ever bought myself, a 1966 Model 70 .270 Win. I bought new that year. The three I had before that were given me, the affore mentioned Mossberg .410, a Savage 340 C in .30-30 Win., and a Nylon 66. My dad never actually gifted me the Nylon 66, he always laid claim to it but let me use it. The Mossberg Bolt .410 lives in Mo. in my old gun safe with my ex and my dad and my BIL together lost my 340 Savage when I was working overseas in 1969.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 684 Senior Member

I do not have my first gun.  It was a Brazilian single shot .410 gauge like this one that I had in Africa as a teenager.

I do still have my second gun, this 1983 Marlin Model 60 my brother gave me when we came back to the States for a year when I was 15.

My third gun was a Brazilian single shot 12 gauge like this one that I bought when we went back to Africa when I was 16.

I had to leave both shotguns in Africa 30 years ago.

• shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 1,998 Senior Member
    I still have the JC Higgins (Hi-Standard) model 20 twelve gauge pump my Dad bought for me for my 14th birthday. 
  • Cheetoh734Cheetoh734 Senior Member Posts: 693 Senior Member
    I do. Its a Baikal 12ga side by side my Dad bought me when I was about 14. Its heavy and the action is stiff but it shoots straight, has killed turkey, rabbit, and countless clay pigeons...
  • Big TBig T New Member Posts: 15 New Member
    I have most of it!  I will be 66 in a few months and when I was 5 or 6, dear old dad (deceased now about 14 years), handed me a Stevens Favorite in .25 rimfire.  To protect me from myself, he filed the firing pin off.

In my mid-teen years, I decided to"customize" the old Stevens, after perusin a Weatherby catalog dear old dad had laying around.  The checkering went poorly-very poorly.  I then decided to remove the butt stock, and in doing so, cracked off the lower tang. 

Today the action and barrel (minus the lower tang, fore & butt stock) hang in my shop.  One of these days I will send the remnants out for a restoration.  But then again I might not:  as it is, there are many memories.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file