What cartridges have you taken deer with?

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,196 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Looking at your elephant gun damage again.....my 7mm08 (hardly an elephant gun) destroyed FAR more meat than you elephant gun did.
    It's interesting to see the difference in slow and heavy bullets VS fast-ish light bullets.

Pretty cool, eh?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • VargetVarget Member Posts: 99 Member
    Why would I have been shown the door, because I think shooting a 40 lb. doe with an ELEPHANT GUN is stupid?
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,709 Senior Member
    You seem to not like it here, YET, you continue to :vomit: words.
    IF stirring the pot or seeking attention through demeaning others is your joy, you won't last long here.
    Varget wrote: »
    Isn't this place great?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,380 Senior Member
    Why would I have been shown the door, because I think shooting a 40 lb. doe with an ELEPHANT GUN is stupid?

What do you hunt deer with?
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,764 Senior Member
    Have you taken your .458 Win mag prairie dogging yet?

I've shot prairie dogs with a .45-70....they blow up...just like they do when you shoot them with a .22-250....maybe I was overgunned with the hot rod .22...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Wouldn't want to get kicked off the forum for speaking my beliefs or hurting anyones feelings (which is common practice here). So I am done with this post. Who knows maybe I don't even hunt or maybe I use a 17 hmr or a 375 h&h mag.
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,687 Senior Member
    Methinks....someone has been around before. With another name. Not sure which one, but im guessing they were shown the door.
    Just a theory.

I was thinking that same thing.

As to the OP 30-30, .308, .357mag, and in my wilder younger days .22lr
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    Wouldn't want to get kicked off the forum for speaking my beliefs or hurting anyones feelings (which is common practice here). So I am done with this post. Who knows maybe I don't even hunt or maybe I use a 17 hmr or a 375 h&h mag.

Don't go. I can assure you, my feelings aren't hurt. I'm actually enjoying this.

Please, enlighten us on your experience with your cartridge of choice.
    All you folk that listed the .357 Mag...............if you can actually find this post amidst all the clownery..................

What bullet did you all use and how far was the shot? In light of the .357 Mag test conducted recently.........I'm interested.
    Wouldn't want to get kicked off the forum for speaking my beliefs or hurting anyones feelings (which is common practice here).

Whoa there Bub! Care to expand on that?
  • RiflemannRiflemann Member Posts: 269 Member
    30-30
    30-06
    22-250
    444 Marlin
    357 Mag

1989 Mack Truck Going 65mph, About 21 years ago:driving: :driving:
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Whoa there Bub! Care to expand on that?

Ar15 what's the real attraction. Is a prime example.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,568 Senior Member
    Interesting question, I have only actually used a 30-30 and my .300 Win Mag, I seem to be in a rut.

Also, I think it is pretty amusing that Varget thinks Zee did not hit what he was aiming for on that deer.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Wouldn't want to get kicked off the forum for speaking my beliefs or hurting anyones feelings (which is common practice here).

Speak your beliefs, but afford me the option to defend my actions and speak mine as well. No?

And keep in mind, I never referred to you or your beliefs in a derogatory manor. Not that I'm aware if or intended. Can you say that?
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,687 Senior Member
    Zee my shot was about 30 yards from a Ruger Blackhawk 158gr copper jacket with exposed lead flat point.

I was hunting with a 30-30 but the buck snuck up on my right as I was sitting on a big rock taking a break, my rifle was on my lap with the muzzle pointed to the left.

The Blackhawk was on my right hip so I drew and shot him in the front of his neck, he ran about 50 feet and plowed in face first.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,288 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    All you folk that listed the .357 Mag...............if you can actually find this post amidst all the clownery..................

What bullet did you all use and how far was the shot? In light of the .357 Mag test conducted recently.........I'm interested.

Zee, my deer with .357 Mag. pistol(Ruger Blackhawk), and that gawdawful looking rifle were taken with 158 grain gas check truncated cone home hard cast bullets at close to max pressure and velocity. The shots were within 35 yards for both rifle and pistol. Complete pass through with no bullet recovery. Entrance and exit holes weren't all that much different in size, but internal shock wave did some liquifying of the surrounding internals. All deer shot dropped within 50 yards of the shot, and a couple didn't take two steps. As always, shot placement is everything, and I didn't do as good a job on that with the pistol as I should have.

If I can get a couple of extra doe tags this fall I'd like to try the rifle with those 200 grain round nose bullets, and with a 158 grain gas check wadcutter. The accuracy potential of the 200 grain RN is already a fact. I just need to get a good load worked up for the 158 grain WC.
    Non Sibi Sed Patriage (Not for self, but country)

So, no (or little) expansion from the hard cast?

Which would end end up working much as your test and mine would.

Hmmmmmmmm, this may still be a viable load..........
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,288 Senior Member
    So, no (or little) expansion from the hard cast?

Which would end end up working much as your test and mine would.

Hmmmmmmmm, this may still be a viable load..........

Pretty much. A hard cast bullet at good velocity just doesn't have an opportunity to expand in the short distance through a broadside deer, I guess. And a softer alloy would be problematic with smearing in the grooves and possibly stripping in the rifling.

I shoot ONLY T/C Maxi Balls in my T/C Hawken muzzleloader. Pure soft lead slug. I have never recovered one of those INSIDE a deer. I have managed to dig a couple out of the dirt. No expansion inside the deer that I could tell, but the nose got buggered up hitting the dirt after passing through. (The ridge I hunt on has no topsoil to speak of, just fine sand/gravel, and rocks.)

Edit to add: When I first got the Hawken I used patched round balls for deer, but once I started molding and shooting the Maxi Balls I never went back to the patched round ball. With the 1:48 barrel twist the Maxi Balls were more accurate out to 100 yards.
    Non Sibi Sed Patriage (Not for self, but country)

• justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    Mine was a 60 yard shot using factory Grizzly 180gr hard cast ammo. The shot was a little high in the shoulder and he dropped on the spot, you can see the exit in the pic. A second shot was needed for a finisher, it entered the bottom of the chest and exited the top of the back.

002-5.jpg
    You guys are gonna make me get a bigger .357 Mag!!!

I have a snubby and 4" barrel revolvers currently.

Hmmmmmmmm........
    Ar15 what's the real attraction. Is a prime example.

Are you implying that someone got kicked off the board for something they said in that thread?
    justin10mm wrote: »
    Mine was a 60 yard shot using factory Grizzly 180gr hard cast ammo. The shot was a little high in the shoulder and he dropped on the spot, you can see the exit in the pic. A second shot was needed for a finisher, it entered the bottom of the chest and exited the top of the back.

002-5.jpg

This picture may be the straw that broke the veritable camels .357 Mag back for me.

I hate you.
  • justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    007-7.jpg

:tooth:
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    This is true. And the fact that the deer ran approximately 50 yards is amazing to me!! Not 30 minutes earlier, I'd shot a doe with my .375 Ruger in the other side if the blind and she went straight down. They are quite amazing creatures in their stamina.

Taking a 500gr bullet from an "elephant gun" (someone else's words) and running 50 yards or so. Amazing!

I remember the very first hog I ever shot, at a range of about 40 yards. The shot broke three ribs high on the left side, turned the lungs into mush, broke two ribs on the right side, and exited. The hog turned 90 degrees to his left and ran about 50 yards before going down. I believe a human suffering a similar injury would have gone down instantly, no movement.

On another occasion, I was hog hunting with a dog and knife. The dogs had cornered a nice boar. I stabbed the pig in the lungs with a large knife, and he went down. A few seconds later, with blood pouring out of the exit wound like a faucet and three 100 pound catch dogs all over him, he got back up and tried to run, before being dragged down again for good.

The first deer I shot was at about 100 yards. The exit wound was sizable, and when I flipped the deer over, the lungs literally poured out of the exit hole. Still, that deer managed to run 50 yards after being hit.

I too have been impressed by game animals' stamina after serious, fatal, injuries.
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    Looking at your elephant gun damage again.....my 7mm08 (hardly an elephant gun) destroyed FAR more meat than you elephant gun did.
    It's interesting to see the difference in slow and heavy bullets VS fast-ish light bullets.

I've seen similarly sized exit wounds on animals I've shot with my 30-06 and 150 grain factory loads. Thats with only 44% of the frontal area and only 30% of the bullet weight. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to exit wounds, at least as far as I can tell.
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Oooops............left out the 22-250

I remember your goat hunt with the .22-250. If I recall, you had video? Or at least some cool pics up in the cliffs. I've shot many a deer with the .22-250 and quite a few hogs. It was my cartridge of choice for many years when culling deer on the ranch I managed. It sure did a number to the head and neck.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,946 Senior Member
    I shot a spike this past season with my 9.3x62 Mauser using one of my hand loads for it, a 270 grain Speer Hot Core Semi Spitzer over 59 grains of IMR-4895 at a little over 2500 FPS MV. It's still used on the Big Five in Africa successfully. It is allowed in most African countries where .375 is the minimum caliber allowed. But due to its effectiveness most countries overlook it even though it is only a .366. And it didn't cut my deer in half. It did leave a nice big exit hole but I wish all my rifles would do that. It put that deer down Dead Right There, Bang Flop Dead. No tracking necessary. Just walked over and tagged it and threw it in the truck. Didn't mess up a lot of meat either. That's MY Kind of performance on game. I like it. Too much rifle? I don't think so. Not with performance like that.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    He's being serious. I've seen it. No Not on purpose, it was an accident. He turned around before zipping. But I digress.
    It's tiny. Like so small I couldn't make fun of it small. I felt bad for him.

Meat Gazer!!!!
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,403 Senior Member
    I remember your goat hunt with the .22-250. If I recall, you had video? Or at least some cool pics up in the cliffs. I've shot many a deer with the .22-250 and quite a few hogs. It was my cartridge of choice for many years when culling deer on the ranch I managed. It sure did a number to the head and neck.

Goats out to 400+ yards...............Not small goats either, the 22-250 dropped them on the spot.

Talking of that 'goat' place...............The population is climbing, get yourself over here and we can go down and thin them out with the following. 204, 222, 22-250, 7mm08, 308, 30.06, 375 H&H, maybe even rile them up with the 270 if I get it scoped........

Hell, we could really go to town on ballistic testing cos there is no shortage of targets.!
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    justin10mm wrote: »
    007-7.jpg

:tooth:

Bastich.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file