Ned's Shooting Thread

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,915 Senior Member
    Shot a few .327 and jugs.

Humid.
    Deer fly numbers are down; but, yellow flies have taken their place.

Saw a male wood duck that just tried to sneak away on the water instead of exploding into the air
    I expect the males are molting as it is early summer.
    I have a need for speed
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,097 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Shot a few .327 and jugs.

Humid.
    Deer fly numbers are down; but, yellow flies have taken their place.

Saw a male wood duck that just tried to sneak away on the water instead of exploding into the air
    I expect the males are molting as it is early summer.

Hey flies and ducks...........something that .327 Magnum can handle :jester:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    No ducks today, but, as I peddled around the curve I found two terrified doe standing in the road
    but not for long.

Shooting was better, I think I have a few 85 gr .327 mixed in the box I'm using, the single 7 doesn't like those.
    I have a need for speed
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,928 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Hey Ned wrote a book called:

.45 Long Cold and Old Lace :tooth:

Maybe he needs to try that new one, the 45 Long HOT! That Cold one is pretty weak. Other wise he may as well get him a Judge in .410.

:tooth:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    King snake in the road today.

Adjusted the rear sight on that .45/45

That bicycle is a piece of work, the chain came off again today.
    I have a need for speed
    Mr No Shoulders would have slithered off off before you could see him if you were carrying that awesome .327 Federal Magnum. :jester:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,247 Senior Member
    King snake in the road today.

Adjusted the rear sight on that .45/45

That bicycle is a piece of work, the chain came off again today.

Sounds like you are in need of a chain tensioner on that thing. Multispeed bike?
    Non Sibi Sed Patriage (Not for self, but country)

tennmike wrote: »
    ....... Multispeed bike?

Yep, slow or fast as he can pedal :jester: :jester:
    Sounds like you are in need of a chain tensioner on that thing. Multispeed bike?

Huffy one speed
    slow
    I have a need for speed
    Huffy one speed
    slow

You can adjust the chain tension, then. Have you done that? should be pretty simple to do, if I remember correctly. If it has just the coaster brake, throwing the chain could get exciting! :silly: :tooth:

You can adjust the chain tension, then. Have you done that? should be pretty simple to do, if I remember correctly. If it has just the coaster brake, throwing the chain could get exciting! :silly: :tooth:

Yeah---you just unhook the clip for the brake lever
    loosen the axel nuts
    pull back on the wheel----and tighten everything back in place.

I may need new axel nuts because they slip with time. I have a monkey wrench in my range bag if I can't just work the chain back on in the field.

The only problem except for complaining about it would be is if the chain came off while I was fording the flooded areas----they are dry again for now.
    I have a need for speed
    Well, if your nutz are loosening up and slipping then go to the local hardware emporium and get some of those handy dandy nylon insert lock nuts. They won't loosen up on ya! :up:

Well, if your nutz are loosening up and slipping then go to the local hardware emporium and get some of those handy dandy nylon insert lock nuts. They won't loosen up on ya! :up:

That is an option, I looked in the garage, I have some spare nuts with that series of grooves on such nuts to try, also.
    I have a need for speed
    We're 0n the way to WW and Clean said, " What is that gun sign over there?": so we went to see and low and behold there
    is a LGS in Havelock that popped up out of the wood work. It has been many a year since we had one in this town.
    We stopped or exactly turned around and stopped.

They don't have much a few guns for sale, offer gunsmithing, some ammo, and an ordering service.
    Pleasant counter man, put up with a couple of old people.

So I bought a box of ammo:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=10153&d=1498849553

230 gr hp with a cross in the HP
    attachment.php?attachmentid=10152&d=1498849493

attachment.php?attachmentid=10151&d=1498849424

Ammo shot fair, it hit high; but, my sights are set for ball and this is bill at 920 at the muzzle, so maybe it shot very good.
    It hit hard it seemed and probably expanded well, one water jug was split in half with a high hit, but, the exit was not big.
    The other jug split in half and the exit hole was the back of the jug.

Probably would make good carry ammo with the sights set right.
    I have a need for speed
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,928 Senior Member
    You could have just moved the log :tooth:

Funny how same make/model/caliber/bbl length will prefer different loads.

I think it depends on the chamber and the rifling. Or maybe one's crown is smoother than another one. What else can it be? Other wise they're identical.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 wrote: »
    I think it depends on the chamber and the rifling. Or maybe one's crown is smoother than another one. What else can it be? Other wise they're identical.
    Also, speed of travel in the barrel, too.
    I have a need for speed
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    We're 0n the way to WW and Clean said, " What is that gun sign over there?": so we went to see and low and behold there
    is a LGS in Havelock that popped up out of the wood work. It has been many a year since we had one in this town.
    We stopped or exactly turned around and stopped.

They don't have much a few guns for sale, offer gunsmithing, some ammo, and an ordering service.
    Pleasant counter man, put up with a couple of old people.

So I bought a box of ammo:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=10153&d=1498849553

230 gr hp with a cross in the HP
    attachment.php?attachmentid=10152&d=1498849493

attachment.php?attachmentid=10151&d=1498849424

Ammo shot fair, it hit high; but, my sights are set for ball and this is bill at 920 at the muzzle, so maybe it shot very good.
    It hit hard it seemed and probably expanded well, one water jug was split in half with a high hit, but, the exit was not big.
    The other jug split in half and the exit hole was the back of the jug.

Probably would make good carry ammo with the sights set right.

I hace WWB & Georgia Arms 230 gr hp's in my house gun. Might not always open up good at slow speed but even if it don't I'm not anticipating complaints. The BPX may expand a bit mote reliably on impact.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    What is this, to be fair it is 76mm long
    found it in some stuff Clean was tossing out.

attachment.php?attachmentid=10158&d=1498859573
    I have a need for speed
    An empty brass case...........what does the head-stamp say?
    An empty brass case...........what does the head-stamp say?

F A 5 9
    I have a need for speed
    Frankford Arsenal Philly PA 30-06 or 7.62??? Match ammo.
    76mm is 2.992 inches

7.62 NATO brass is 2.015 in or 51.2 mm COL 2.75 in or 69.9mm
    30-06 brass is 2.494 inches or 63.3 mm COL 3.34 in or 85mm
    That 30-06 brass sure stretched, did you use a caliper to measure it or a ruler?
    Yeah. Frankford Arsenal and the 59 would indicate 1959 manufacture date. That's some old brass, whatever it is.

Brass for a M8C .50 cal spotting rifle
    used coaxial on a 106 recoilless rifle.

Found that case in the dresser Clean was getting rid of
    I probably picked it up in 1965 at Quantico after a night fire power show for a Marine Company.
    I have a need for speed
    Brass for a M8C .50 cal spotting rifle
    used coaxial on a 106 recoilless rifle.

Found that case in the dresser Clean was getting rid of
    I probably picked it up in 1965 at Quantico after a night fire power show for a Marine Company.

Spotter round. Those are cool to watch. Fire the spotter round from the tank, and if it's on target, the main gun fires immediately. Got to watch M48 and M60 tanks do that on a long firing line for a few nights. Trying to sleep with all that noise going on was an exercise in futility. Anyway, I had range radio watch duty, so I was up anyway.

That 30-06 brass sure stretched, did you use a caliper to measure it or a ruler?

Caliper at almost a max measurement I could take.
    I have a need for speed
    Makes sense now. It looked a little different and too long for 7.62 or 30-06.

OK you must use the smaller calipers that look like a C-clamp. Slide rule ones go to 6" or so you can measure.
    OK you must use the smaller calipers that look like a C-clamp. Slide rule ones go to 6" or so you can measure.

Well yeah, I bought it just to check handgun ammo when I suspect bullet pulling and other issues
    some times come in handy
    for other uses such as in this case to add a little smoke and mirrors to the subject.
    I have a need for speed

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file