Range Report, sort of

BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior MemberPosts: 4,008 Senior Member
We had a speed steel match yesterday morning. It was OMG hot but lots of fun. Finished 14th overall. There were some good shooters so I was not to unhappy. I was shooting rifle and a couple of stages were not rifle friendly, to much angle leaning around corners. So 14th out of 46 was ok.

I loaded up some .38 spl to really light loads, 3.5 gr of trail boss over 125 gr lead flat point. I wanted to see how they worked in the Uberti and vaqueros for my first SASS match next weekend. Put a couple in the revolver and shot at this giant cowboy shaped steel target 10 yds away. I could not hear or see any hits. ??? Can't miss that close. Tried again, same thing. Tried shooting low and finally saw some dirt fly up below the hit. Loaded some in the rifle and man is that thing sweet. Aimed at the center and hit exactly center over and over. No recoil at all,shoot as fast as the smooth action lets you. I shot all fifty I loaded w/o issue. Man I love that rifle.

Also tried out out the RIA 10mm. Only had 20 rds of hornady 180 gr hollow points. Can't shoot the steel with it so I shot at a paper target about 20 yds away. Well I hit it the first few shots and destroyed it. Recoil was similar to a .45 1911, perhaps a little more. My daughter didn't mind it a bit. I was pretty impressed with it's accuracy and it ran all 20 rounds w/o a problem. I think it's a keeper. I got some reloading to do.
"He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file