What's your all time favorite center fire hunting rifle?

2»

Replies

• JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,642 Senior Member
    It has taken me a couple of days to decide. I have one rifle that goes on every overnight or weekend hunting trip. I may not use it because I brought it along "just in case" but it is always there and ready.

My Remington 788 in .243. It was my second center fire purchase. It is light enough to pack all day, quick to my shoulder, has enough punch for any critter in OK and enough reach for any place I hunt.

I've got one of those. Highly under rated IMO.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,225 Senior Member
    Every year I have another to choose from or replace but it just never happens it seems......between myself, my Son and my Daughter for the past few years (and for me many more in between) it is a Remington VTR in .308. This gun is light weight,short barreled, quick to the shoulder and extremely accurate. No matter what I acquire every year this one is the first out of the case every fall and has never failed any of us, we fight over this one between the three of us every time!
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,357 Senior Member
    Sako Vixen in 222.................Have taken everything from rats and rabbits up to and including wild bulls.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,465 Senior Member
    I would love to say one of the old rifles that we have, or one I had from childhood. But, in all honesty I need to say my Savage 110 in 30-06. It is lightweight, with Fusion ammo more accurate than I am, and has enough horsepower to kill anything I am likely to point it at, if I do my part on bullet placement.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,835 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I don't have a favorite. I've used different guns so much, I can't nail one down. I'll get something new, then have to blood it. Then the next year, I get something new and have to blood that. I've tried, but can't use just one.

Ah yes, I can see it all now. One day you will have exhausted the field, then you'll have to do the wild cat thing. Then, when you have done all the wild cats, Weatherbys, everything, you will have only one left, because cartridges are a finite entity. And YES, your worst fear, your WORST NIGHT MARE! will be staring you right in the face! Because the only one left will be that cartridge you hate, that cartridge you abhor so that you lose sleep just thinking about, That old Winchester Cartridge. Whatcha gonna do then Slick?I call you Slick because by now you will have pulled all your hair out in anticipation of this moment of truth. What will you do then? Give it up an play Golf? Or Go for the GOLD???

:yikes:..........:fan:..........:bang:..........:bang:..........:bang:

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::roll2::roll2::roll2::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::roll2::roll2::roll2:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,651 Senior Member
    My Remington 700 BDL in .243 Winchester. It was my first center fire rifle, and has accounted for more game than all of the rest combined. Victims include deer, rabbits, squirrels, ground hogs and a few crows. Second choice would be my Howa 1500 in .270 Winchester or my Marlin 1894 in .44 magnum..........Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 13,799 Senior Member
    I can't answer the question. It is like asking which child is your favorite.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,352 Senior Member
    Snake your just good. Your mission may have already been accomplished after he reads your post. Your just not right! :punch:
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • drwalker47drwalker47 Member Posts: 192 Member
    I have a hard time too, but my Voere 98 Mauser in 7 x 57 is the one I keep coming back to, and my grand kids love it also.
    Celebrate life, moment by moment. I plan to enjoy what time I have left, and that means MORE GUNS!
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,073 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Ah yes, I can see it all now. One day you will have exhausted the field, then you'll have to do the wild cat thing. Then, when you have done all the wild cats, Weatherbys, everything, you will have only one left, because cartridges are a finite entity. And YES, your worst fear, your WORST NIGHT MARE! will be staring you right in the face! Because the only one left will be that cartridge you hate, that cartridge you abhor so that you lose sleep just thinking about, That old Winchester Cartridge. Whatcha gonna do then Slick?I call you Slick because by now you will have pulled all your hair out in anticipation of this moment of truth. What will you do then? Give it up an play Golf? Or Go for the GOLD???

:yikes:..........:fan:..........:bang:..........:bang:..........:bang:

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::roll2::roll2::roll2::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::roll2::roll2::roll2:

There isnt a single chance in hell that will ever happen.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    There isnt a single chance in hell that will ever happen.

You know what they say, "Never say Never!"
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Even if I did shot a 270 at a deer, it would drop the exact same way as if it was hit with a 30-06, 35 wheelen 7-08, .243, etc.
    but, I'll never do it so....
    Zee
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,040 Senior Member
    Even if I did shot a 270 at a deer, it would drop the exact same way as if it was hit with a 30-06, 35 wheelen 7-08, .243, etc.
    but, I'll never do it so....

It only works if the bullet actually makes contact with said animal. As I recall, that's been a problem for you in the past. :jester:
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    It only works if the bullet actually makes contact with said animal. As I recall, that's been a problem for you in the past. :jester:

Hitting wasn't the issue. Hitting in the proper place was the issue.
    Zee
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,040 Senior Member
    Hitting wasn't the issue. Hitting in the proper place was the issue.

I stand corrected.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    JerryBobCo wrote: »

........................:applause:..............:cool2:...............:worthy:........................

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    snake284 wrote: »
    ........................:applause:..............:cool2:...............:worthy:........................

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    youhave zero room to talk.
    And as a side note, I ate the deer that I "missed".
    Zee
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,403 Senior Member
    Had to spit out bullets like melon seeds right?
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Had to spit out bullets like melon seeds right?

Still went to bed with a full belly.
    Zee
    waipapa13 wrote: »
    I'd like a .250 99 as well, or a savage model 1920 in .250, that would be sweet.
    I have a 22 hi power 99 take down that has a loose barrel which is close to a .250, it's a dream rifle, one day it will be re-barrelled, blued and re stocked in a native hardwood, ballistically it's very interesting to me as a goat and fallow gun.
    Hey, when you rebarrel it you could do it in .250 or maybe a .243. Does it have the old Rotary magazine?

Yes I do! I have two rounds worth to talk. I only shot 3 rounds at my deer, you shot five. And what the hell! Coyotes gotta eat too! And besides, I wasn't saying anything. I was just ah enjoying Jerry Bobs comments.

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,617 Senior Member
    700 XCRII .30-06. It's blackened stainless. It's synthetic. With it I can forget all of my maintenance and historical artifact preserving programming and HUNT without having to worry about scratches or rust. It's a working tool with no emotional baggage attached.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
2»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file