Effective Range Of 00 Buckshot On a Coyote?

N320AWN320AW Senior MemberPosts: 648 Senior Member
I'm looking forward to our squirrel season soon. We have a lot of coyotes in this area. I just ordered from Midway a few boxes of Hornady 00 buckshot to stick in my pocket while hunting.

Does anyone happen to have opinions about the max range that would put down a coyote with 00 buck?

Does 50 yards sound about right?

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 13,821 Senior Member
    Zee has done some range work with buckshot. I can't really remember how it grouped at 25 and 50 yards, but I think he may have some insight.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 30,719 Senior Member
    I remember reading in the American Rifleman about Trench Shotguns used in WWI, maybe a reprint of an old Winchester advertisement (?) anyway it said 00 Buckshot would penetrate 2 pine boards a 100 yards or something to that effect.

Hyperbole of the times or fact??? Surely couldn't try to hit any one man that far off with pellets (9) spreading in a wide pattern. Be unethical shootin any animal that far off with Buckshot.

Youtube has plenty of videos where they test Buckshot at different ranges.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,118 Senior Member
    It would probably kill farther than you could accurately place pellets on its pelt.
    I'd pattern it and see.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,657 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I'd pattern it and see.

This...telling you how buckshot works in my shotgun doesn't tell us a thing about how it will work in yours. Choke matters.
    I had a Benelli M1 Super 90 with a Carlsons Dead Coyote Choke that would roll a coyote a 50 yards...that was with 3" #4 Buck...my other shotguns with more conventional chokes...more like 35 yards. You need to use up a box of those shells on a pattern board.

Also...00 Buck isn't my first (or even second) choice for killing coyotes...as stated above, I prefer #4 buck....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,834 Senior Member
    You might want to check the legality of having buckshot with you during squirrel season in your area. It can get you ticketed here if you have anything larger than #2 shot with you and deer season isn't open.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 2,961 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    You might want to check the legality of having buckshot with you during squirrel season in your area. It can get you ticketed here if you have anything larger than #2 shot with you and deer season isn't open.

Yup.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,426 Senior Member
    I've patterned it @25 yards, and it did not pattern well at all. Big pattern holes in a silhouette target. I understand the reduced recoil shells patterns better, but I haven't tried it.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,617 Senior Member
    Three words: Federal Flite Control.

The wad in this round tightens the spread to where your effective range is easily doubled over the old stuff that would spread at roughly one inch for every yard of distance from the muzzle. At 15 yards, this stuff will keep all nine pellets in an area smaller than the span of your outspread hand. At 25 yards, they'll all stay in the 8-9-10 ring of a reduced sized BT-5 silhouette target. I'd take a coyote shot with it perhaps as far as 35 yards.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 21,927 Senior Member

What Knite said and Dan Chamberlain seconded. In TN if you're caught with buckshot or slugs while hunting small game, you're in deep stuff. And buckshot is not allowed in most counties in TN for big game hunting. Different states have different rules, so it's best to check.
    Non Sibi Sed Patriage (Not for self, but country)

• J.KeeferJ.Keefer New Member Posts: 6 New Member
    Hunting squirrels with a shot gun would get you ridiculed around here. (in a good natured way.) :)
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 17,980 Senior Member
    Anything bigger than #4 is verboten in Tennessee, with the possible exception of certain steel shot sizes for waterfowl. I think the regs say no "loaded shells or loose shot".
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,058 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    It would probably kill farther than you could accurately place pellets on its pelt.
    I'd pattern it and see.

This. I use the Hornady Coyote 00-Buckshot in my Steoger M2000. The pattern at 75 yards is adequate for use, and at 50 yards it's all fatal. I'm using the standard x-full choke that it came with.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,782 Senior Member
    J.Keefer wrote: »
    Hunting squirrels with a shot gun would get you ridiculed around here. (in a good natured way.) :)
    Welcome aboard
    where is here
    I have a need for speed
    I would not hesitate out to 40 yds on a coyote.

I'd just shoot one at 30 or less yds with #2 shot. A coyote probably not stick around while you reload the chamber with a buckshot shell.

#2 shot works on squirrels
    I have a need for speed
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,679 Senior Member
    I shoot yotes with my 870 super mag with 4buck out to 70 yards but I use a Carlson dead coyote choke.
    I haven't patterned it with any other choke.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,492 Senior Member
    N320AW wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to our squirrel season soon. We have a lot of coyotes in this area. I just ordered from Midway a few boxes of Hornady 00 buckshot to stick in my pocket while hunting.

Does anyone happen to have opinions about the max range that would put down a coyote with 00 buck?

Does 50 yards sound about right?

Good Lord, has it come to that? Ladies and Gentleman of quality do not eat squirrels. It's just not done. What would the neighbors think? Now then, let's try a little harder to keep up appearances, shall we? There's a good lad. Carry on.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,236 Senior Member
    horselips wrote: »
    Good Lord, has it come to that? Ladies and Gentleman of quality do not eat squirrels. It's just not done. What would the neighbors think? Now then, let's try a little harder to keep up appearances, shall we? There's a good lad. Carry on.

Since when has anyone on here been classified as a "Lady" or "Gentleman" of quality? You stick your pinky up whilst sipping your tea if you want to. I will continue wallowing with the masses!
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
    Since when has anyone on here been classified as a "Lady" or "Gentleman" of quality? !

Hey, six-gun and I are on this forum

Then we have Lady Klinger the:queen:
    I have a need for speed
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,651 Senior Member
    In difference to horse lips, squirrels make excellent table fare! The young ones are covered with seasoned flour and fried like chicken, and the old ones go in a stew pot with dumplings. The last coyote I killed was with 1 ounce of #4 lead shot, at about 30 yards, it was DRT. I have shot hundreds of rounds of 00 Buck, during police training, and the maximum effective range is about 25 yards, out of a riot gun with open, or cylinder bore. Choked guns will hold a pattern a little further out, but not much. When I use a shotgun while hunting squirrels, I use #4 shot because their hide is tough and they are tenacious of life. That will dispatch coyotes nicely and keep you out of trouble with the DNR..........Robin :beer:
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 17,980 Senior Member
    It looks like Horse has culinary abilities that match his political understanding- - - -somewhere between slim and none! Old, tough squirrels go into the pressure cooker for a while, then they get deboned and incorporated into a big pot of slow-simmered squirrel and dumplings! Don't get between my family and the dinner table when that gets served- - - -you'll be roadkill after the stampede!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • N320AWN320AW Senior Member Posts: 648 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    It looks like Horse has culinary abilities that match his political understanding- - - -somewhere between slim and none! Old, tough squirrels go into the pressure cooker for a while, then they get deboned and incorporated into a big pot of slow-simmered squirrel and dumplings! Don't get between my family and the dinner table when that gets served- - - -you'll be roadkill after the stampede!
    Jerry

Agreed, yum-yum, but with celery, plenty of potatoes, and a few carrots! Never thought about dumplings. Sounds great.
    Heavens to Betsy, I have wandered into the midst of an obscure, long lost tribe of squirrel eaters. The rumors and legends were.....true.
    horselips wrote: »
    Heavens to Betsy, I have wandered into the midst of an obscure, long lost tribe of squirrel eaters. The rumors and legends were.....true.
    You probably don't eat snakes and turtles and such either
    I have a need for speed
    NN wrote: »
    You probably don't eat snakes and turtles and such either

Certainly Not.
    So solly for U
    I have a need for speed
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,703 Senior Member
    I think it would not be good if they found them with you here in Kentucky during certain seasons also. Can be used on coyotes at night.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file