David Petzal of Field and Stream

Comments

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,709 Senior Member
    Don't get me wrong: an editor should've caught this since it's not the first time a gun writer got himself the wrong kind of attention bagging on a segment of gun culture that they don't particularly enjoy. In this case, he gave a healthy handful of quotes (some of which you highlighted) to those who REALLY want to disparage the gun industry, and gun owners, across the board. I just think that he was trying to pitch a personal annoyance like he usually does and really failed to consider the implications.

Oh, and his booth babes rant is a whole other world of hurt waiting to happen in this day and age. The PC police are going to be giving him lashing shortly on that one.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,553 Senior Member
    Oh, I agree wholeheartedly, obviously. He had a LOT of loaded language there.

I wonder if he had been celebrating before he wrote the copy? I mean, surely he knew what he was going to start...
    Overkill is underrated.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 21,496 Senior Member
    Sort of reminds me of another 'gun scribe' that poison penned an article on the AR 15 a few years ago. Didn't work out too well for him, either.
    A double action revolver is a semiauto firearm. It fires once for every trigger pull.

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly, obviously. He had a LOT of loaded language there.

I wonder if he had been celebrating before he wrote the copy? I mean, surely he knew what he was going to start...

You would think, but when your M.O. is to be an open book with your opinion, come hell or high water, you might literally look right past what would/could become of a piece that's this touchy.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,357 Senior Member
    Bu, bu, bu, but I wanna see me some booth babes!!!!!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,540 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    The fun part of being a writer is that you get to express opinions completely devoid of any accountability to enterprise goals, P/Ls, revenue and market drivers.

Probably ought to ask Jim Zumbo about that being devoid of responsibility thing.....Petzal got raked over the coals about that same time for some of his AR opinions as well....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,471 Senior Member
    The proliferation of black rifles, to the point of overwhelming everything else on the market, is the expected result of our collective sixth sense kicking in. As Sir Winston Churchill was a voice crying out in the wilderness about the mortal threat of Nazi Germany to the British Empire in the early-mid 1930s, long before anybody else in His Majesty's Government had a clue, the gun industry and most of its customers sense an impending crisis that has little to do with hunting animals. And we, with urgent trepidation, are getting ready the best we can.

T R U M P
    We don't have to live like this.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 36,686 Senior Member
    Orrrrrrrr, he just baited the entire gun community. Page views pay the bills. Look how many views his article is getting based on the outcry.

Never the less, David who?
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,139 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Orrrrrrrr, he just baited the entire gun community. Page views pay the bills. Look how many views his article is getting based on the outcry.

Never the less, David who?
    :that:
    There is an awful lot of hits on that site right now I'd wager.....any publicity is good publicity.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Does this mean we won't need the pitch forks?
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,337 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Sort of reminds me of another 'gun scribe' that poison penned an article on the AR 15 a few years ago. Didn't work out too well for him, either.

That is my thinking, he just Zumbo'd himself. The fact he stated, stuff designed to kill people and not animals, should have every single member here REALLY pissed off. That is the kind of poop that anti-gunners scan these articles for, and take to the public "see?! even their writers agree its only for slaughtering PEOPLE, you don't NEED it! BAN THEM NOW". You think they don't read that stuff? You think they don't read THESE forums? Its all ammo against us.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,691 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    People still read Field & Stream?
    :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,703 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong: an editor should've caught this since it's not the first time a gun writer got himself the wrong kind of attention bagging on a segment of gun culture that they don't particularly enjoy. In this case, he gave a healthy handful of quotes (some of which you highlighted) to those who REALLY want to disparage the gun industry, and gun owners, across the board. I just think that he was trying to pitch a personal annoyance like he usually does and really failed to consider the implications.

Oh, and his booth babes rant is a whole other world of hurt waiting to happen in this day and age. The PC police are going to be giving him lashing shortly on that one.

Editor? with Field and Stream? This is right up that magazine's alley. Petzal is the lesser of the Libtards there. As I said, I think he's just an old guy that doesn't like the changing gun world, but most of them there are just a popcorn fart away from being out an out antis.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 17,918 Senior Member
    I thought it was Sports Afield that went full-tilt bozo awhile back. More articles about biking and jogging by metrosexuals in spandex than hunting and fishing coverage!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,304 Senior Member
    I grew up in the 60's reading Field and Stream magazine. I avidly perused the pages of articles about Upland game hunting, waterfowling and shotgun sports cos that is what I grew up hunting.
    The articles on hunting North American game like Elk, Moose, Whitetail and Mule deer were things I could only fantasise about.....but they stimulated my interest in all forms of hunting.
    Fast forward to the '80's' ( I think) and I picked up a copy of Field & Stream..........There were very few well written articles or authors for that matter and the magazine seemed to be mainly ads and opinion pieces.

Havent read another one since........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,056 Senior Member
    He directly inferred the American shooting citizens with the Nazi SS. He can go die alone in a nursing home.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • conchokidconchokid Administrator Posts: 497 Member
    Teach wrote: »
    I thought it was Sports Afield that went full-tilt bozo awhile back. More articles about biking and jogging by metrosexuals in spandex than hunting and fishing coverage!
    Jerry

That was in the late '90s, Jerry, and it lasted only a couple of years. Bob Petersen bought Sports Afield in 2000 and returned it to its hunting roots . Today it's owned by Safari Press and the content is strictly about hunting and the shooting sports.
  • MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    Bu, bu, bu, but I wanna see me some booth babes!!!!!

You looking for makeup tips or wardrobe advice?
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 36,686 Senior Member

BAM.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 1,969 Senior Member
    I find that he does pine for the old days a bit, but he also doesn't hesitate to air out obsolescence. For instance, someone will write to him about putting a cherished, old scope on a new gun purchase, to which he will bluntly inform them is a stupid thing to do considering that yesterday's glass doesn't hold a candle to what we have now, that it will artificially limit what is likely a very capable gun, and to stop being so cheap. He also speak worlds of good about how great modern rifles shoot compared to what he grew up with in the field. So, yeah, can be a tool who gets annoyed by some modern stuff, I think his genuine shtick is really more about being "the grumpy old guy" more than anything else.

Well, in one sense, yes, but in the other, no. As you stated, his opinion has about zero impact on the market he gripes about...but it's people vehement love or hatred for what he says that keeps the magazine afloat (at least in part). Howard Stern said it best when [to paraphrase] he stated that, in entertainment, you don't need to right, you just need to have an opinion. In the case of his publication, if his comments lead to a nosedive in readership, he will be held accountable.

Sort of how Metcalf was held accountable for pissing off the G&A readership with his comments that were praised by anti-gunners everywhere. Good riddance. Dave Petzal is an opinionated grumpy old man with a writing style that is abrasive to some, but not all of the F&S readership. He does tend to live in the past I've noticed after reading his column. I for one, like his writing style.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 18,963 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Jerry

Nope. Sports Afield is still all about hunting adventures, hunting rifles/shotguns, and conservation (in relation to hunting). Albeit, they are hunts and guns I'll never be able to afford.......but I can at least read about them.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,357 Senior Member

Snort! :rotflmao:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
    Sort of how Metcalf was held accountable for pissing off the G&A readership with his comments that were praised by anti-gunners everywhere. Good riddance. Dave Petzal is an opinionated grumpy old man with a writing style that is abrasive to some, but not all of the F&S readership. He does tend to live in the past I've noticed after reading his column. I for one, like his writing style.

Precisely. He's gruff and short, but I enjoy his writing and much of what he writes. This, of course, is a deviation from what I would call "praisworthy" prose, but I do like the sum of his work.
    Precisely. He's gruff and short, but I enjoy his writing and much of what he writes. This, of course, is a deviation from what I would call "praisworthy" prose, but I do like the sum of his work.

Yeah, put me down in that column too Six Gun.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Zee wrote: »
    Nope. Sports Afield is still all about hunting adventures, hunting rifles/shotguns, and conservation (in relation to hunting). Albeit, they are hunts and guns I'll never be able to afford.......but I can at least read about them.

What do you mean you'll never be able to afford? You get a new gun about once a week, you make Wambli look like a homeless hobo. If you quit buying guns for six months you could probably afford to hunt the whole of Africa AND Alaska.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,540 Senior Member
    Nothing is wrong with Petzal's writing style....pretty much classic outdoor writing...it's the CONTENT that's the issue...every once in awhile he apparently goes off his meds, forgets who he's working for and writes what he REALLY thinks...as is evidenced by his most recent contribution.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Murphy's LawMurphy's Law Member Posts: 313 Member
    I read the article and didn't really take his views as anti-gun but more about dismay over the loss of the classics. Kinda like an old timers love of a 68 Mustang vs a Prius. It is kinda funny though when going to the local range and everyone and their mother is shooting an AR in some configuration and the guy who pulls out the old Winchester or Marlin lever gun gets the weird looks.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,054 Senior Member
    Well, in one sense, yes, but in the other, no. As you stated, his opinion has about zero impact on the market he gripes about...but it's people vehement love or hatred for what he says that keeps the magazine afloat (at least in part). Howard Stern said it best when [to paraphrase] he stated that, in entertainment, you don't need to right, you just need to have an opinion. In the case of his publication, if his comments lead to a nosedive in readership, he will be held accountable.
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Probably ought to ask Jim Zumbo about that being devoid of responsibility thing.....Petzal got raked over the coals about that same time for some of his AR opinions as well....

I read his article and got the impression he was ragging more on the SHOT show and industry in general that is feeding this "tactical" frenzy. What I meant to say is that he's got it backwards. SHOT and the manufacturers are just responding to market demands (what sells) so they can keep their profits healthy.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 7,792 Senior Member
    Wait people are surprised that a grumpy old **** is ranting about how things aren't like how they were back in the "good' ol' days"?
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • Murphy's LawMurphy's Law Member Posts: 313 Member
    Wait people are surprised that a grumpy old **** is ranting about how things aren't like how they were back in the "good' ol' days"?

Exactly! Kinda like Clint Eastwood's character saying, "Get off my lawn!"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file