17 Hornet

bellcatbellcat Senior MemberPosts: 1,209 Senior Member
When out with my friend and his CZ550 chambered in 17 Hornet today. What a neat little caliber, and of course a beautiful rifle. He has it topped with a Nikon. Early loads were OK for accuracy but I think with some work it will be an excellent shooter! We were shooting 20gr V-Max's today. Can't wait to trim the Flickertail and prairie poodle population with it!

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v467/bellcat/Mobile%20Uploads/trim.53547425-6769-462D-B7FE-DA471D265A66_zpsz6nbmgrk.mp4
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,752 Senior Member
    Very interesting little cartridge. I have yet to shoot one myself, but a reloadable .17 really sounds useful and deadly for small varmints.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 5,895 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Very interesting little cartridge. I have yet to shoot one myself, but a reloadable .17 really sounds useful and deadly for small varmints.

This.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,468 Senior Member
    Video did not work, but I clicked on the picture of the lady with the walleye:applause:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,209 Senior Member
    Try it now.....love those CZ rifles
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,415 Senior Member
    My LGS owner loves the .17 Hornet. Maybe I'm wrong, but it looked like your friend was resting the barrel on the bag, which can cause problems with accuracy.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,209 Senior Member
    It was close, he was having some trouble adjusting his elevation, but I was watching to make sure it wasn't touching.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,415 Senior Member
    Good! When you rest the barrel on the front rest, you un-float the barrel. Interferes with the harmonics. With some rifles that don't have a fore-arm, resting the barrel on the rest is cool, but it's always been bad for me.

I'm getting 3000 fps with my .22 Hornet. with a 33 gr. bullet. I don't know what the 17 is getting, but it's got to be at least 500 fps more.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file