AR-15 Handguards

Diver43Diver43 Senior MemberPosts: 7,465 Senior Member
While shooting over the weekend, I realized that at a moderate pace the hand guards on my AR got really hot. Currently there are a low profile (thinner) aluminum quad rail on it.
I really do not care for the look and like I said they got really hot.

Any suggestions for guards that are thinner in diameter and do not get excessively hot after just a few magazines. I like the looks of some Fiber Carbon ones, but do not know how they are heat wise.
Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Replies

• JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,058 Senior Member
    Samson manufactures rails with larger inside diameters than standard. It would help some. Magpul MOE come with heat shields.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,642 Senior Member
    Got a pic of current setup? I like free float tubes like the inexpensive models found at rouschsports.com. Also really like the Diamondhead hand guards but they are pricey.

Your current gas tube / block will dictate direct replacement options. Of course if you have flexibility to change those more options are in play.

You could also consider the rubber covers that can be found for the quad rails. Should help with heat and looks tacticool!
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,227 Senior Member
    I still run the old cheese grater DD rails and Ergo ladder covers. Depending on grip, up near the gas block heats up fast, I might feel warmth unless it is a course of fire in say a class but there I do wear gloves for sure. I am not sure but the only heat shields I know of are used in say GI type hand guards, Magpul Moe furniture or such. A rail is pretty much open air from the barrel.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,245 Senior Member
    do they sell rail mounted air conditioners yet?
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 5,720 Senior Member
    I have the Diamondhead VRS-T and it does get hot. Didn't expect it to, but it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,465 Senior Member
    Until I find something I really like, I think the A-2 hand guards are going back on.
    Or maybe get some Magpuls.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,058 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Until I find something I really like, I think the A-2 hand guards are going back on.

Magpul MOE furniture requires the mil-standard forward handguard retainer. If ya have that I say go for it. Cheap trial.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Are you using an A2 front sight/gas block? Carbine length?
    Groucho Marx
    Are you using an A2 front sight/gas block? Carbine length?

No front sight. The gun started life as a DPMS lower with parts kit and a sportical upper. Now has new handguards, upgraded trigger and stock. Gas block is whatever was on it. A2 handguards were on it for a while, them or Magpuls are going on it when we get back from sin city.
    Instead of putting money into this I may just build another.
    No front sight. The gun started life as a DPMS lower with parts kit and a sportical upper. Now has new handguards, upgraded trigger and stock. Gas block is whatever was on it. A2 handguards were on it for a while, them or Magpuls are going on it when we get back from sin city.
    Instead of putting money into this I may just build another.

Ah, OK...I get it now.
    Groucho Marx
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,264 Senior Member

I think I have some carbine length Magpul handguard sitting around unused if you want them. No charge. Assuming I still have them...
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
    SS3. THANK YOU
    if you still have them we can work something out at Jerry's
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,264 Senior Member
    SS3. THANK YOU
    if you still have them we can work something out at Jerry's

I'll look tonight. They are just taking up space in a box somewhere, I'd like to see them get used. I think they are black, standard M4 length. I don't even have an AR upper that takes 2-piece handguards anymore.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file