Need advice on best scope mount for sporterized 1903 A3

timctimc Senior MemberPosts: 6,248 Senior Member
Hey guys looking for some help deciding on the best scope mount for the sporterized 03 A3 I just got. I did some test firing today In between hunts and while it shot well with the irons 2 feet high at 100 yards was the best I could adjust so I think I will just scope it and be done. So what say you guys; what is the best scope mount for the 03 A3? I would prefer a drilled mount for a more stable base and don't mind drillind since it is sporterized anyway.

I love the feel of this rifle, it handles well, the action is buttery smooth and it has an awesome set trigger; a scope would make it a perfect hunter.

Thanks in advance for the help!
timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
AKA: Former Founding Member

Comments

• mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Please don't drill and tap an unmolested '03A3 receiver! :yikes:
    "There are no victims , only volunteers!"
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,521 Senior Member
    I was going to suggest the Leupold/Redfiled style base, but it looks like they don't make one anymore. I'm sure Weaver still has a base that would fit. But as Teach would say, "Those receivers are harder than woodpecker lips", and are hard to drill. I'll search through my parts tomorrow and see what I can find.
    Found a no drill mount, but know know how good they are.
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26102/avs%7CManufacturer_1=SzzxzzK/Product/03A3-SPRINGFIELD-MOUNT
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,258 Senior Member
    Ever thought of just putting on a taller front sight?
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,248 Senior Member
    mkk41 wrote: »
    Please don't drill and tap an unmolested '03A3 receiver! :yikes:

I already have a nice mill spec 03 and this sporterized rifle started life out as sporterized from surplus parts so I am not worried about drilling it.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,248 Senior Member
    Ever thought of just putting on a taller front sight?

SInce my eyes get worse every year I'll just scope it. If the irons would have been good to start I probably would leave it with irons for a couple more years so since I gotta spend some cash anyway I'm going to put glass on it.
    The action is a later model Remington if that makes you purist feel any better.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file