Guns That Don't Do It For You?

Replies

• TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 5,727 Senior Member
    I agree about the .40 S&W. Absolutely no desire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,688 Senior Member
    Freezer wrote: »
    The Enfield, though the best battle rifle ever built, is about as ugly a rifle ever built. It is what it is, a great battle rifle. It will never be a beautiful sporter. It's a fat, ugly buck-toothed, under bite, pimple faced, redhead that can cook and make a rabbit jealous. You can put a 2k wedding dress on her with a thick vail but she'll still shine through! It is what it is, a great battle rifle.
    A Nagant isn't much better and the Styer is only a cousin.

Ah, but look at the #5:

attachment.php?attachmentid=8407&d=1464744936

Its a thing of beauty!

Oh, and its "veil", "Vail" is a town in Colorado. You're welcome, but don't thank me, I'm just channeling Sam. :tooth:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
    Black powder firearms. At this point in time the only reason I would buy one is to extend my hunting season. Other than that I can not get excited about them.
    Loud, spits fire, smoke everywhere! What's not to like? :tooth:

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,012 Senior Member
    I'm not really a revolver fan. They are fine guns, I own 3, but I hate reloading them after 5 or 6 shots. Give me something that holds 15 rounds or more and takes 2 seconds to switch mags so I can get back to shooting.

Same with bolt guns. Great fun to shoot but a lot of effort. Just not patient enough to take 2 minutes for one long distance shot. I appreciate the skill involved and maybe someday.

Black powder, meh

Springfield or FNs or Walthers, Sigs, not much interest.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    I'm not really a revolver fan. They are fine guns, I own 3, but I hate reloading them after 5 or 6 shots. Give me something that holds 15 rounds or more and takes 2 seconds to switch mags so I can get back to shooting.

I'm largely with you here. I can load up a bunch of mags before I go to the range - depending on the gun and what I'm planning to shoot through it, I may not need to reload at all, swap mags and keep on going. OTOH, my wife is strictly a revolver gal - she HATES flying brass. She's left handed, we kinda thought it might be because the brass flies across both eyes' vision, but it didn't improve her outlook on semi-autos when she tried my P.38 (ejects to the left).

OTOH, I'd kind of like to have a 9mm revolver. I don't know why, just "because". Maybe a Rhino.

• KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,236 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Everyone needs lots of .22's.
    FIFY
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,422 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Everyone needs a buttload of .22s.
    NOW that statement works! :cool2:
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    Loud, spits fire, smoke everywhere! What's not to like? :tooth:

It is like dating a high maintenance woman. After a while you get tired of all the work to get to the good part.
    It's because I hate Trump.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,352 Senior Member
    Gene, Zorba

Excuse me for offending your daughter but.... That two piece stock and extra metal do nothing for me! You can't clean up it's lines enough to make it sexy. I agree there was some beautiful work done on those rifles. I've seen them engraved and the most beautiful wood attached to them but that metal in the middle is like chipped buck tooth. Zorba the flat floor plate did take some weight off her but....JMHO
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,648 Senior Member
    Freezer wrote: »
    Gene, Zorba

Excuse me for offending your daughter but.... That two piece stock and extra metal do nothing for me! You can't clean up it's lines enough to make it sexy. I agree there was some beautiful work done on those rifles. I've seen them engraved and the most beautiful wood attached to them but that metal in the middle is like chipped buck tooth. Zorba the flat floor plate did take some weight off her but....JMHO

Zorba can jump in here but I think the magazine is out of it. and that's an "as issued" #5
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Zorba can jump in here but I think the magazine is out of it. and that's an "as issued" #5

Yes, and yes.

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,422 Senior Member
    I've got several guns in addition to the No 4 with exposed magazines...2 788s, an Argentine Mauser, a Savage 340, and a CZ 527. I like them, and especially like the Enfield. If the stock were checkered in an Old School English fashion, it would be entirely period correct and worth probably three times what I paid for it.

Taste is taste, of course. I've had my share of Fugly guns and find they shoot just as well as beautiful Weatherby/Brownings. I prefer having a beautiful gun, but I like the era-specific exposed magazines and the practicality of the 788s. The CZ is a fine looking rifle to me. My Enfield would not be out of place in Africa back in 1948 or so.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    Someone said they didn't like NAA revolvers either, so here is a quickie composition I call "Big and Small":

attachment.php?attachmentid=8409&d=1469931874

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,422 Senior Member
    Ok, that's freaking cute...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    More like "smaller and smallest." I wish I'd kept my No 5, sometimes. I can't even remember what I traded it for. When I got it, it didn't have a flash hider, but I got another one from Numrich and after I put it back on, the rifle was in excellent shape.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 30,712 Senior Member
    Quick, fling that little **** off that Enfield before it sticks :jester:

I read they have a new model on the NAA Mini, with a normal swing out cylinder called a Sidewinder.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,099 Senior Member
    I had a NAA. Kinda wish I'd kept it. Other than the noise scaring someone, a knife is a FAR better defense tool. Point blank range, a .22 Lr out of that tiny barrel wouldn't penetrate a 55 gallon drum.
    It WAS surprisingly accurate. It just took 2 minutes to get lined up on target with the tiny grip, crappy sights and short sight radius.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 13,814 Senior Member
    If it goes bang, I am open to it.... for the right price.
    I had a NAA .22 LR or whatever it was before NAA unless NAA was first. This was a long time ago. It had a set of real ivory grips carved from a piano key, I heard. I couldn't hit a thing at 3 yards with it. I carried it for several years as an extreme concealed gun for emergency use only.

In the movie "Assassination Tango" Robert Duvall uses one to whack three people in Brazil. At touching range.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    The biggest (ha!) problem with shooting the NAA is finding a grip that works for ya. I'm now able to stay on target at 7 yards with it; when I first got it, I was lucky to stay on paper at that range. Involves holding with the right, and pulling the trigger with the left. From what I've read on the NAA forum, that's apparently the grip a lot of shooters use for the little guy. When I got the little grips checkered, THAT helped a lot too!

Mine's the smallest of the small, the .22 short version. Totally a stupid gun - and stupid fun too!

Big Chief wrote: »
    Quick, fling that little **** off that Enfield before it sticks :jester:
    Just cycle the bolt, the Enfield will chamber the entire revolver!
    I read they have a new model on the NAA Mini, with a normal swing out cylinder called a Sidewinder.
    Everybody's yakking about it over on the NAA forum. I'm sure its a nice gun, and probably far more practical than this little guy - but the ridiculousness of the "original" is part of its appeal!

• BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,012 Senior Member
    NAA does beautiful machine work. To bad it does not transfer to accuracy. They are a novelty.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 670 Senior Member
    NAA briefly made a top break called the Ranger, they were a bit complex design wise and were discontinued, it looks like they are re-introducing it this year with some design tweaks.
    A .22 magnum top break? Shut up and take my money!!!
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,341 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    NAA does beautiful machine work. To bad it does not transfer to accuracy. They are a novelty.

I would imagine the NAA's were meant for REALLY up close and personal work, kinda hard to miss at >1 yard. I always wanted one, just never went ahead and bought one. I'd be curious how they perform with the newer 22 mag ammo made for PD from really short barrels.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    I've been told by multiple sources that NAAs are quite accurate. I wouldn't know myself... :cuss:

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,254 Senior Member
    Been thinking about this and my list (at the moment)

Shotguns, yeah I have one. Its cheap, and the 2-3 shells I shoot a year work.

Little handguns. Yes I have one for the utilitarian value. It will hold a group better than it should. The ONLY thing that is interesting is that they carry well.

stuff with engraving or checkering.

Off the shelf "huntin rafles"

Stuff that doesnt shoot well. SKS, I have one. Not only is it anemic and ugly, it isnt accurate enough to hold my interest. I have thrown better groups with a flintlock roundball at the same range.

Bench rest rifles.

AR's dressed for Call Of Duty cosplay. Dont get it. If you take a rifle and cut it down to carbine size/weight, would one not be defeating the purpose by hanging 7lb of trash on it to blast silhouette targets at 50 feet.

Caplocks. If I am going to go with a dirty girl, I want the real thing.

Glocks, and plastic pistols in general. Kinda like the wedge shape vette. No soul moderate performance. That and my handspan without stretching is over 10 inches, XL doesnt always fit, and neither did the early gen Glocks and they dont interest me enough to try again.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,785 Senior Member
    Glocks, and plastic pistols in general. Kinda like the wedge shape vette. No soul moderate performance. That and my handspan without stretching is over 10 inches, XL doesnt always fit, and neither did the early gen Glocks and they dont interest me enough to try again.

No soul?

Who cares? It is a simple machine that works exactly as intended, for a long time. Try a G-20. Shoot a couple of magazines at a paper plate, at 50-70 yards, then look in the mirror and see if you are smiling. I have a hand span of 9-1/2" and the G-20 feels like a block of wood in my hands, but nevertheless, it is surprisingly easy to hold a sight picture on target, throughout the relatively long trigger pull. It feels a little weird, sure, but I forget quickly when the bullets start hitting the target.

I look at it as if it were an old, ugly, beat up tool that I hardly ever use, but I still don't want to be without it, because it does what it does so well.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,254 Senior Member
    Because stuff that fits works as well or better. Done 2L soda bottles at 100 with a Security 6 and 1911's. Why shoot something that is uncomfortable? No reason to re-invent the wheel. I am not going to buy a Glock so that I can try to like it. I have shot a few up to Gen 3. That was enough for me.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,107 Senior Member
    My list is:

- Glocks; had a 17 1st. gen. for a while and...meh! Accurate and reliable but not enough for me

- Single-shot shotguns

- Bullpups

- Benchrest rifles

- NAA revolvers

- Pocket pistols, specially the old European ones in .25ACP

- Anything .25ACP

- Mossberg's whole current line of products.
  • Hondo341Hondo341 Member Posts: 448 Member
    Pistol grip shotguns

Sig Sauer pistols

Any gun with multiple "accessories" aka Tacticool

Anything inaccurate All these new guns popping up in the magazines raving over the 3" group they get........worthless. New gun that need to be "customized" to shoot how they should shoot to begin with from the factory.
    "People are responsible to play a role in their own safety." Sheriff David Clarke 2016

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file