Do you even buy factory ammo?

2»

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,926 Senior Member
    No, I let Clean buy it.
    I have a need for speed
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,341 Senior Member
    Mix of both.

All my handguns are currently factory ammo. With the 44 and 41, I'm building up a supply of brass through factory ammo. I have dies for the 44 and 38, I'll have 41 dies soon from the forum classifieds. I have a single stage press, I have no desire to load several thousand rounds of 9mm, 40 and 45. Iffin' I pick up a 10mm, still have a few hundred rounds.

Have a large supply of 223/556 for the AR as well. Now I do have 223 dies, brass and some bullets, but no specific powders. I'll start reloading for the H&R and the Savage 116 when it gets home.

Now my other 2 lowers, now that I have a regular ol' AR, will be built into more specialty rigs, and will be reloaded. Mostly because ammo is either really expensive, or wild cats.

All the other rifles I have are hand loaded. I do have some factory here and there.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,352 Senior Member
    Pretty much no.

22, SD, and shotshell, and 9mm is the only ammo I buy.
    I hand load for 17? cartridges. The majority of my revolvers and rifles have never seen a round of factory ammo.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,420 Senior Member
    I don't reload at all, so it's factory stuff for me.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,071 Senior Member
    I load most everything except SD, rimfire, shotgun, 7.62x54R and 9x18. I buy a couple boxes of SD ammo for each handgun, shoot one to make sure it works and hopefully never use the other. I'm pretty far behind since I've been loading and shooting 9mm the most for competition lately. Darn near out of .45, .40 and 10mm. Low on .223 as well. I did lots of .38 spl last winter as that load never changes and I only shoot 100 of them per month in matches plus whatever I use for practice. 9mm I go through 250 a match sometimes times a couple matches a month or more. Mailman hates me for ordering 1000 bullets or more at a time.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,463 Senior Member
    Pistol ammo except for .44 Mag and Special.

I don't want to fool with 9mm and .38/357. I don't shoot a whole lot of it and don't have dies, and those two are the only rounds I shoot that I don't reload for. .300 Savage? Reload. .310 Cadet? Yep, since the ammo is as expensive as hens teeth. .303, 8mm, 7.65 Argentine? You bet.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,599 Senior Member
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »
    I don't reload at all, so it's factory stuff for me.
    Same here
    Not yet anyways
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,370 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Unless it's shotshell, rimfire or SD, it's reloaded in my house. I have guns that have literally never had a single factory round through them.

This. Factory ammo is just icky!
    I even have one that factory ammo isn't an option.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,144 Senior Member
    Factory only, 'cause there's no reloading here. Law has changed to allow it but apparently importers will either not bring components to keep charging A LOT for ammo (Twice the price you have over there; rifle ammo will go for at least 3 times :angry:) or simply can't make shipping companies to transport powder.

So far a few components have been available every now and then from a single store; usually some Boxer small pistol and large rifle primers, and bullets to reload 9mm and .308. Presses, dies, molds, etc. have to be scrounged here & there. I have managed to gather some items but still have to build my table so at least can start re-processing old 7.65 Mauser ammo (Faulty primers) for my rifles, and making my own .38 Special/.357 Magnum loads.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,144 Senior Member
    Factory only, 'cause there's no reloading here. Law has changed to allow it but apparently importers will either not bring components to keep charging A LOT for ammo (Twice the price you have over there; rifle ammo will go for at least 3 times :angry:) or simply can't make shipping companies to transport powder.

So far a few components have been available every now and then from a single store; usually some Boxer small pistol and large rifle primers, and bullets to reload 9mm and .308. Presses, dies, molds, etc. have to be scrounged here & there. I have managed to gather some items but still have to build my table so at least can start re-processing old 7.65 Mauser ammo (Faulty primers) for my rifles, and making my own .38 Special/.357 Magnum loads.
  • KTSullivan105KTSullivan105 New Member Posts: 2 New Member
    edited June 12 #42
    rberglof said:
    Haven't been shooting much lately....have been buying ammo when the price is right.
      I hear you there! I tend to stock up when there's a good sale going on. Last time I stocked up whe

Edit: All links and company name removed.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,370 Senior Member
    Spamalamdingdong
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 951 Senior Member
    Almost a two year shelf life on this spam.
  • RaptortrapperRaptortrapper Posts: 36 Member
    Well since this thread was revived from the dead, I'll post!  I read through all the posts, and there is some good stuff in this thread!  

Reloading is relaxing to me.  It is a great outlet for my anal retentive attention to detail.  I weigh every. single. load.  

As far as buying stock ammo, I just bought some a couple weeks ago!  I'm going to a shoot, and I'll be borrowing a gun.  The owner of that gun wants only stock ammo through that gun, or his reloads.  I bought a bunch of stock ammo to honor that, and then I'll have the brass to reload when I get my own gun in the same caliber.  Won't be the same platform, but it will be the same caliber.  

Otherwise, I don't usually buy stock ammo.  I prefer to put the money towards components, then enjoy my time while reloading.  It is also a challenge to me-- trying to make my ammo as precise as possible.  That way, if I miss, I can't blame anyone or anything except my trigger finger.  I love it when my chronograph spits out really low Standard Deviations after a string of 10 shots.  Means I'm doing my part at the reloading bench!!
    Some people are like a slinky-- not much fun till you push them down the stairs!
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,637 Senior Member
    I think if not for California's lead hunting ban forcing me to buy Barnes coppers for the deer rifles, I wouldn't even be buying factory BULLETS anymore:

.455 Webley MKII hollow bases in progress.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,926 Senior Member
    I do not have any reloaded ammo
    I have a need for speed
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,071 Senior Member
    I buy 7.62x54R and 9x18.  Just don't shoot enough of them to reload.  I shoot and buy tons of .22lr.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,187 Senior Member
    edited June 12 #49
    Buy?  No. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
2»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file