Sub Compact 45 ACP

PoppyPoppy New MemberPosts: 28 New Member
Looking for some opinions between the Springfield Armory XD 45 & the Kahr PM45

I like both of these but could use more input.

Thanks.
No matter how dark is, you could always see a light...I said it :uhm:

Comments

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,551 Senior Member
    Is the Springfield the XD or the XDs? The XD is a double-stack and not available in a .45 sub-compact, XDs is a single-stack and a little slimmer, slightly slimmer than the Kahr per Kahr's and Springfield's specs. Kahr's a rather smooth DAO, Springfield's a striker-fired SA.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • PoppyPoppy New Member Posts: 28 New Member
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 17,915 Senior Member
    Hmmmm- - - -sort of looks like a Glock that was picked before it was ripe. If I really need something smaller than a 1911 that lobs small boulders I carry my AMT Backup .45. It carries 5 +1 rounds and is DAO.

3099855_01_amt_45_acp_backup_stainless_640.jpg

With a slight modification to the magazine, a standard 1911 mag can be used for a +2 round reload, after concealability becomes a moot point.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,533 Senior Member
    Poppy wrote: »

Thanks.

Actually, it would help if we knew more about your experience with firearms...I would not recommend either for a novice...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Thanks Jerry, but didn't like the reviews on the AMT Backup 45
    My only experience with firearms was being a combat infantryman in Nam.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 17,915 Senior Member
    Mine sucked swampwater, trigger-wise, until I mirror-polished all the contact points where the trigger linkage rubbed the frame and hammer. Now it's slick as owl snot and shoots everything I feed it without a hiccup- - - -and it's been doing that for 25 years. Your mileage may vary. How did one shoot when you tried it, or are you letting someone else do your thinking for you?
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,034 Senior Member

Thanks.

The Kahr is a slimmer gun but both guns are great SD pistols that should serve you well. Whichever fits your hand better should be the winner. For what it's worth I like the trigger on the XDs better. Take a look at the single stack XDs also. NICE guns!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 8,968 Senior Member
    Buddy of mine runs the Kahr as his primary carry gun. Good gun.

I have one of their 9s, and it is great as well
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    My only experience with firearms was being a combat infantryman in Nam.

No insult intended...we get all kinds of folks on this board inquiring about firearms...some have zero experience with firearms and sub-compact pistols are no place for a novice to start...

I, personally, have no use for Kahr pistols...on the other hand the XD in .45 ACP is an excellent pistol with a great trigger once you've run about 500 rounds through the thing...
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,597 Senior Member
    26 oz is too light a handgun for me in .45 acp to do much shooting.
    My new Signature
    Wambi Ska

Bullsi1911

NN
    Thanks for yor input
    Jayhawker

I'm leaning towards the XD 45. Will read more, nd watch video's.

Thanks for your help.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,306 Senior Member
    If you can, go to a range that rents guns and shoot a few boxes through each that you are considering
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,242 Senior Member
    I have an xds in 45 and I like it. I shoot it for practice with reloads that are a little softer to shoot. When shooting loads designed for self defense it is not fun to shoot. It tends to bite into the web of my hand after a couple of mags.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 8,452 Senior Member
    I have the Kahr in 9mm and the XD in 40. The trigger is light on the Kahr, but it has a long pull. The grip is just too small to control that long pull and it is harder to shoot accurately than the XD.

The XD is fat and harder to conceal. I am thinking of trading my Kahr for a XDS.... hopefully the best of both.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,034 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    26 oz is too light a handgun for me in .45 acp to do much shooting.
    Don't worry, I'll have my wife show you how to handle a lightweight .45 by shooting her Kimber UltraCarry at Jerry's this year :tooth:
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,659 Senior Member
    The XDs, the S&W Shield, and the Glock 43 are all the same size, within fractions of an inch. If you have large hands, the XDs is the best, because the trigger breaks further to the front than the others, allowing you to shoot it without extra contortions to the trigger finger. If your hand is less than XL glove size, I would recommend the Glock 43 - they don't have a .45 model. The Shield is a great moderately priced subcompact now made in .45, but it needs trigger work (for me) right out of the box.

I chose the XDs for my .45 subcompact. It is smaller and softer recoiling than both the Kahr P-45 that I once owned, and the all steel Kahr K-40 that I still own.
    I actually like the grip safety on the XDm
    it is a 9mm, though.
    My new Signature
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Don't worry, I'll have my wife show you how to handle a lightweight .45 by shooting her Kimber UltraCarry at Jerry's this year :tooth:
    She is a lot younger than I, I'm pretty much limited to shooting .22 shorts in a handgun.
    My new Signature
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,551 Senior Member
    If I were getting a sub-compact I'd lean towards the XDs (the single-stack) over the double-stack XD, and choose the XDs over the Kahr... mainly because I prefer the XDs's trigger over the Kahr's. I could make either work, but the XDs just gets me there sooner. That's purely personal choice.
    Overkill is underrated.
    Diver43 wrote: »
    If you can, go to a range that rents guns and shoot a few boxes through each that you are considering

I'll be going with your suggestion, and it's a good one.

Thanks
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,410 Senior Member
    I have an XD MOD 2.0 in .45acp, as does at least one other person on the forum.

Here's my range report: http://forums.gunsandammo.com/showthread.php?28283-Range-Report-Springfield-XD-MOD-2-0-3-3-quot-45acp
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • Cheetoh734Cheetoh734 Senior Member Posts: 692 Senior Member
    XD subcompact is a great carry gun option. I carried an XD9 sub compact (gen 1) for years. For such a small gun the ergonomics and trigger were great and several thousand rounds without a single malfunction.
    The only thing I hate....and I mean absolutely HATE about the XD is that whole "Grip zone" thing...clearly a corporate weenie at work....
  • North ForestNorth Forest Member Posts: 276 Member
    I am still using my XDs .45 for my "comfortable" CC gun. Takes some practice and getting used to compared to other .45s, but is reliable and fairly accurate with a trigger that isn't too bad. I use the extended 7 round mags for better grip.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,410 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    The only thing I hate....and I mean absolutely HATE about the XD is that whole "Grip zone" thing...clearly a corporate weenie at work....

:rotflmao: It is pretty obnoxious.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 2,925 Senior Member
    I have the gun you are interested in knowing about. It calls itself a subcompact...but it ain't that sub. Still, I can easily conceal it and it's a very good shooter and it's one of the softest shooting .45s I own. Both 230 grain ball and 230 grain hollow points hit exactly where the sights are looking. No bobbles or jams. Comes with 2 mags, one a 9 rounder which gives you 9+1 and a 12 rounder that gives you 12+1 but harder to conceal.

I like it a lot.

The Kahr is significantly more difficult to detail strip than the Springfield. Very complicated when tearing down the slide. I own a Kahr as well.

Of the two, I like the Springer better.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • NomadacNomadac Senior Member Posts: 849 Senior Member
    I own a Colt Lt. Wt. Officers Mdl. .45 acp that I have owned and carried for years. Colt discontinued the Officers Mdl. but replaced it with the Defender which is the same size. It has a 6 rd. mag. but I carry 7-8 rd. mags for backup if necessary because I have a Colt Commander and a Govt. Mdl. I even have some 9 rd. mags.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,470 Senior Member
    Neither one. Big calibers in small guns are a bad mix. They all mean hellish recoil, painfully short practice sessions, and in a moment of truth, your second and third shots are too long in coming. A small gun properly chambered in a smaller caliber is much easier (faster!) to shoot effectively.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file