I shot a .270 Winchester today!!!!

2»

Comments

  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 18,961 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Shot placement

    All three in the lungs behind the shoulder.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,685 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    All three in the lungs behind the shoulder.

    Yeah, I don't doubt that one bit. I've seen deer run off and found them with the lungs totally destroyed. Also, in a couple cases the heart was shot out from a 180 grain .30-06 bullet. But they still ran a long way. In my opinion the only sure way to put an animal down is a head shot that hits the brain, a neck shot that hits the spinal cord or a spine shot. When the brain and/or spinal cord is hit the motor activity is gone and he loses his legs.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,347 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    :spittingcoffee:

    That's brilliant! You can double the range of the .270, but only if you fire it from East to West.

    That last target's windage was off because Zee failed to account for Coriolis deflection!

    More seriously, damn fine shootin'! :worthy:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 21,468 Senior Member
    Shooting is good therapy. When you're out shooting you have to concentrate entirely on the shooting; doesn't leave any room for thinking of other things. And you're a good man for getting him to stretch what he thought was his max range to double that and then some! He looks pretty tickled at the results. I like his rifle as he has it set up. Handy length and nice stock, too.

    Most animals can absorb a lot of internal damage and run for a long way at times. Your elk was an example of that; they're dead, but just don't realize it. Just be glad you had a repeater, and not a .54 cal. Hawken flintlock! They take a mite longer to load for followup shots.
    A double action revolver is a semiauto firearm. It fires once for every trigger pull.



  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,648 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    I've thought hard about this. I've got only one .270. I have multiple rifles in other calibers so if I'm gonna be the .270 poster boy I need more .270s and the Savage may get the nod. A nice fat barreled one that will shoot bug hole groups at 500 yards would be nice. However, I want one with a 1:8 twist so I can shoot the new VLD heavy long bullets.

    I have two, a 1500 Howa that has killed four white tails, and a couple of hogs, one over 300 pounds, and a #1 Ruger that, so far, has only killed paper. The 130 grain SP is a good choice. Keep yer powder dry...........robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 18,961 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't doubt that one bit. I've seen deer run off and found them with the lungs totally destroyed. Also, in a couple cases the heart was shot out from a 180 grain .30-06 bullet. But they still ran a long way. In my opinion the only sure way to put an animal down is a head shot that hits the brain, a neck shot that hits the spinal cord or a spine shot. When the brain and/or spinal cord is hit the motor activity is gone and he loses his legs.

    Don't recall the distance. Maybe 150ish yards.

    Cow elk who was trotting along. To be fair, the first shot stopped her. She stood there and stared. Buddy said, "Shoot her again!"

    I did. She stood there.

    "Shoot her again!"

    I did. She stood there.

    "Shoot her again!"

    "No! I've hit her 3 times!"

    So we waited a little bit while she did the spread leg wobble and eventually fell over dead. All three shots were fatal. She just didn't believe it the first, second, or third time. And that's all it took. Time.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 18,961 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Shooting is good therapy. When you're out shooting you have to concentrate entirely on the shooting; doesn't leave any room for thinking of other things. And you're a good man for getting him to stretch what he thought was his max range to double that and then some! He looks pretty tickled at the results. I like his rifle as he has it set up. Handy length and nice stock, too.

    Yeah. We had a good time. It was nice to see him light up and smile again. We enjoy shooting together and it got him out of his current rut. Liked seeing him smile.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 18,961 Senior Member
    And he liked that I had brought the Ruger he'd given me with us. Didn't say it, but I could tell.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 5,998 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Don't recall the distance. Maybe 150ish yards.

    Cow elk who was trotting along. To be fair, the first shot stopped her. She stood there and stared. Buddy said, "Shoot her again!"

    I did. She stood there.

    "Shoot her again!"

    I did. She stood there.

    "Shoot her again!"

    "No! I've hit her 3 times!"

    So we waited a little bit while she did the spread leg wobble and eventually fell over dead. All three shots were fatal. She just didn't believe it the first, second, or third time. And that's all it took. Time.

    Reminds me of my first elk. It was the lead cow, and big. Based on the weight of the hindquarters, a friend estimated it to weigh about 600 pounds.

    She was trotting about 150 yards away when I shot. I knew the shot was good, and was very surprised when she didn't drop. She did stop, though, and allowed me 3 more shots. She fell after the 4th shot. All 4 were in the rib cage, and one blew a baseball size hole out of the far side of the ribs.

    That's my story of killing an elk with a .270 and I'm sticking to it.

    Zee, have you experienced a sudden fondness for Cheetos?
    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,685 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Yeah. We had a good time. It was nice to see him light up and smile again. We enjoy shooting together and it got him out of his current rut. Liked seeing him smile.

    The threat or thought of the possibility of losing your spouse is a heavy load to carry. Anything you can do to give him some relief is a God send. With cancer it can be a long time load on your mind. It ain't like he can go in and take a nap and his headache goes away. Keep him shooting. That could bring him through a rough time. This guy sounds like a real jewel of a friend. Keep it up.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 18,961 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Zee, have you experienced a sudden fondness for Cheetos?

    No! Why?

    4237868850_99e2b5afb2_z.jpg
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,629 Senior Member
    Did y'all follow up each shot with a similarly placed ..22 LR in order to scratch the paint on the targets?
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 18,961 Senior Member
    JKP wrote: »
    Did y'all follow up each shot with a similarly placed ..22 LR in order to scratch the paint on the targets?

    BB Guns
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,350 Senior Member
    I need an address so I can mail you your Savage hat now.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 626 Senior Member
    I googled Bridget the midget, damn. "imoit:"imoit:
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,685 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Don't recall the distance. Maybe 150ish yards.

    Cow elk who was trotting along. To be fair, the first shot stopped her. She stood there and stared. Buddy said, "Shoot her again!"

    I did. She stood there.

    "Shoot her again!"

    I did. She stood there.

    "Shoot her again!"

    "No! I've hit her 3 times!"

    So we waited a little bit while she did the spread leg wobble and eventually fell over dead. All three shots were fatal. She just didn't believe it the first, second, or third time. And that's all it took. Time.

    Just for the hell of it, what bullet were you using on that cow elk?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 18,961 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Just for the hell of it, what bullet were you using on that cow elk?

    If I remember correctly, it was factory Winchester 150gr Power Point.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
2»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file