Spring bear hunting

CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior MemberPosts: 4,084 Senior Member
My season opens on Saturday, April 15th. I've got the bait barrel full of rotten beaver carcasses :vomit: and a great hunting spot picked out.

I'll refrain from asking about what cartridge I should use...:tooth:

Anyone else bear hunting this spring?
The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand

Comments

  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,349 Senior Member
    No season here..... Should be but...

    Go get Ginger she should be pretty gray by now.
  • 6EQUJ5 - WOW!6EQUJ5 - WOW! Banned Posts: 482 Member
    Haven't been hunting in years but I miss the days of tagging along with an old timer in Oregon who used to run hounds before they outlawed it. He was taxidermist by trade out of Talent, Oregon. It was big fun watching those Walkers. To think of the training that goes into those dogs. Incredible. Sure miss the days of hanging around his old shop back in the late 80s.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 13,761 Senior Member
    No spring season here. I am saving up my points to take my son on a fall hunt in a couple of years. And maybe I can convince a friend or three to come along with me.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,715 Senior Member
    Good luck, Cali! Hopefully, putting up with the funk of those rotting beavers will pay off quickly.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,084 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Good luck, Cali! Hopefully, putting up with the funk of those rotting beavers will pay off quickly.

    I have to roll it out first thing tomorrow morning. No baiting until the season opens.

    My dogs find the barrel VERY interesting...
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

    Ayn Rand
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,715 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    I have to roll it out first thing tomorrow morning. No baiting until the season opens.

    My dogs find the barrel VERY interesting...

    That's a good sign. Hopefully, their long lost cousins will find it equally interesting!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,706 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    My season opens on Saturday, April 15th. I've got the bait barrel full of rotten beaver carcasses :vomit: and a great hunting spot picked out.

    I'll refrain from asking about what cartridge I should use...:tooth:

    Anyone else bear hunting this spring?

    Fresh outta bears here in Port Lavaca. i could go to Victoria to the zoo, but the bunny huggers might get upset! So I'll just enjoy Bear Hunting through you guys experiences.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,084 Senior Member
    The bait barrel is up with a trail camera. I'll post pics when something interesting happens.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

    Ayn Rand
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,706 Senior Member
    Seen any bears yet?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,084 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Seen any bears yet?

    Not near my bait. Kinda disappointing, and I've been distracted.

    morels_zpshgata8q7.jpg
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

    Ayn Rand
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 36,690 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    Not near my bait. Kinda disappointing, and I've been distracted.

    morels_zpshgata8q7.jpg
    Hope those give you the squirts.
    :tooth:

    While I've never found enough to save, if I do I'm going to dehydrate them. I found 5 the other day that were all dried up. A few minutes in water and they puffed back up, and fried just like fresh ones. Morrel of the story, DONT pass up dried up crusty ones.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,084 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Hope those give you the squirts.
    :tooth:

    While I've never found enough to save, if I do I'm going to dehydrate them. I found 5 the other day that were all dried up. A few minutes in water and they puffed back up, and fried just like fresh ones. Morrel of the story, DONT pass up dried up crusty ones.


    Dehydration is the best form of preservation for morels. They will re-hydrate just as you mentioned, even after months on a shelf.

    Don't freeze them. It ruins the texture.
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

    Ayn Rand
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,706 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    Not near my bait. Kinda disappointing, and I've been distracted.

    morels_zpshgata8q7.jpg

    Well hell's bell's boy, get after them bars. Time's a wastin!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • KMT2KMT2 Member Posts: 116 Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    No spring season here. I am saving up my points to take my son on a fall hunt in a couple of years. And maybe I can convince a friend or three to come along with me.

    ive got like 9 points
    If you think OHSA is a little town in Wisconsin you may be in trouble!
    Peace is firing my guns or 60 feet below the surface of the water.
  • 6EQUJ5 - WOW!6EQUJ5 - WOW! Banned Posts: 482 Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    Not near my bait. Kinda disappointing, and I've been distracted.

    morels_zpshgata8q7.jpg

    Nice Morels! Did you get those in the burn area?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file