Building an AR pistol...need a little help

JayhawkerJayhawker ModeratorPosts: 13,540 Senior Member
So since prices at PSA coincide with my budget, I decided to take the leap......soooooo 7" or 10"?
Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Comments

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 18,963 Senior Member
    I have both.

The 7" is stupid handy like. A great bedside/travel gun.

The 10" is kind of a jack of all trades, master of none. Not bad for everything and not great for anything.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,047 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    So since prices at PSA coincide with my budget, I decided to take the leap......soooooo 7" or 10"?
    SD or HD 7" is just :cool2: as a PDW. Even sits nicely on your lap while driving :tooth:

If longer ranges and outdoor activities (ex. hunting) are more likely the purpose then 10".
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    Zee wrote: »
    I have both.

The 7" is stupid handy like. A great bedside/travel gun.

The 10" is kind of a jack of all trades, master of none. Not bad for everything and not great for anything.

What ammo is yours loaded with?
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,357 Senior Member
    I like the compactness of the 7", plenty accurate at 100 yds.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    What ammo is yours loaded with?
    Currently 62gr GD.
    SD or HD 7" is just :cool2: as a PDW. Even sits nicely on your lap while driving :tooth:

If longer ranges and outdoor activities (ex. hunting) are more likely the purpose then 10".

I've used a 10" AR for deer and pigs.
    Currently 62gr GD.
    Cool, thanks! Have you ever tried that combo on a pig? I don't recall you doing so but I'm getting old and memory goes first :tooth:
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,579 Senior Member
    I've shot a 7" and own a 10". Of the 2, I think 10 is the "Goldilocks" length. Short enough to be "handy" but still long enough for decent velocity.

FYI, my 10" pistol is a perfect fit in a tennis racket case :wink::cool2:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Oh, BTW my current 7" is a PSA upper and runs flawless :up::up:
    Cool, thanks! Have you ever tried that combo on a pig? I don't recall you doing so but I'm getting old and memory goes first :tooth:

I've not used my 7" on game yet.
    Palmetto has some 8.5" barrels with 1/7 twist also, I think that this is what I have instead of 7" actually, I can't recall.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,540 Senior Member

See what I mean! Who could resist?

Interestingly...it's illegal to carry a loaded uncased long gun in a vehicle passenger compartment in MI..however,since this little gem is registered (MI law) as a pistol it..'s legal to have in a vehicle with a CPL....
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 21,489 Senior Member
    I have a 7" pistol and like it. Depends on what you want to do with it. 7 and 10 inch would both be good for HD, with the nod going to the 10 inch barrel for hunting, I think. My 7" length AR pistol makes a nice fit between the split in the truck seat and the buffer tube doesn't get in the way when shifting gears, so it makes a good truck gun.
    A double action revolver is a semiauto firearm. It fires once for every trigger pull.

• NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,175 Senior Member
    I picked up a complete Aero Precision 7.5" upper for a steal. I was going to swap out barrels but I stuck it on my SBR lower just see how accurate it was and at 100 yards it was 2.5" to 3" all day with 55gr FMJ. I left it alone and that 3" savings might cost a few FPS (and it doesn't seem to show any signs of destabilization) but does come in nice when mounting a can cause these short barrels bark worse than anything else I own.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    Don't want to or have not gotten to it yet?

I'd have no qualms using it for deer and pigs.
    I'd have no qualms using it for deer and pigs.
    Cool, when/if you do could you let me know how it goes?
    See what I mean! Who could resist?

Interestingly...it's illegal to carry a loaded uncased long gun in a vehicle passenger compartment in MI..however,since this little gem is registered (MI law) as a pistol it..'s legal to have in a vehicle with a CPL....
    Hell I already have one and I ALMOST ordered this one for no good reason at all. My wife would shoot me... :bang:
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,691 Senior Member
    I have a 7" barrel and 15" (each on their own upper) for mine.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 7,792 Senior Member
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-7-5-56-nato-1-7-marauder-pistol-upper-no-bcg-or-ch.html

This is the upper I got around black Friday, I think current price is $20 less than I paid. I like it. Have only shot it a few times, but seemed as accurate as I can shoot offhand which is pretty much the only way I'll ever shoot it. Didn't seem excessively loud at least shooting outside. According to the guy down the like it makes a pretty nice fireball though. As others have suggested super handy!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • RocketmanRocketman Banned Posts: 1,118 Senior Member
    I can't get on board with one because of that funky ass buffer tube that takes away from the pistol look.
    Rocketman wrote: »
    I can't get on board with one because of that funky ass buffer tube that takes away from the pistol look.

See "stabilizing brace".....nuff said...
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,621 Senior Member
    Besides if Ya don't brace against you shoulder it shoots like C___
    My new Signature

You lack vision.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,139 Senior Member
    A 7" imperial blaster...... storm trooper approved:tooth:
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    What about sights...I'm considering irons but am open to suggestions....
    What about sights...I'm considering irons but am open to suggestions....

Red Dot w/ backup irons.
    ARPistolBuild21.jpg
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,621 Senior Member
    Can you vertical butt stroke someone with the brace?
    My new Signature

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file