BREAKING: Greater Yellowstone Grizzle Bear De-listed

Six-GunSix-Gun Senior MemberPosts: 6,707 Senior Member
Per the Safari CLub International email that I just received:
SCI Applauds Long-Overdue Yellowstone Grizzly Delisting

Safari Club International celebrates with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, and hunter-conservationists throughout the country the impending delisting of grizzly bears. The removal of the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem (GYE) population of grizzlies (Ursus arctos horribilis) from the federal threatened species list means that management of this recovered population of bears will finally return to the state agencies who have worked diligently with stakeholders to conserve the population. The GYE population consists of portions of northwestern Wyoming, southwestern Montana and eastern Idaho. Biologists estimate that approximately 700 bears now live in that area.

SCI has long been involved in the grizzly bear delisting saga. The Service first listed the grizzly bears in the lower 48 states as threatened back in 1973. In 2007, the Service delisted the GYE population and were soon after sued in federal court. SCI joined the suit as an intervenor to defend the delisting. After the district court invalidated the delisting, SCI, along with the other defendants, appealed the ruling. The appellate court affirmed only part of the ruling but the grizzly remained on the threatened species list. Although the Service predicted that it would be able to delist the bears again in 2013, the Service did not propose to remove the GYE population of bears from federal ESA protection until March of 2016. SCI filed two sets of comments in support of the proposed delisting.

The Service will publish a final delist rule in the next few days and the delisting will go into effect 30 days after publication in the Federal Register. Despite decades of recovery efforts, extensive scientific research, and demonstrated recovery, the battle over GYE grizzlies is far from over. At least one anti-hunting group has already stated that they will sue to reverse the delisting. If that happens, SCI is very likely to join that litigation and once again defend the delisting and sustainable use management of the bear.

As you can imagine, the Sierra Club isn't too pleased with this, as you can read from their press release below. I found the underlined part hilarious, given that the big scream from hunters for years is that...

...wait for it...

THE BEARS AND WOLVES HAVE DECIMATED THE GAME ANIMAL HERDS. Thank you, Sierra Club, for re-affirming what we already knew.

https://sierra.secure.force.com/actions/National?actionId=AR0082360&hero&_ga=2.115249358.85121355.1498167919-939389157.1498167919
Today, the U.S. Department of the Interior announced that they are delisting the Greater Yellowstone grizzly bear.
This decision will set grizzly recovery in the region back by decades. Greater Yellowstone grizzlies are already facing an uphill battle -- isolation from other bears, diminished sources of food, and record-high mortalities.
The surrounding states of Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho have already made it clear that without endangered species protections, they will immediately reduce the number of bears in the area and allow people to trophy hunt grizzly bears.

For years, activists like you have called on U.S. Department of Interior to continue to protect these grizzlies, honoring the Tribal Nations who hold these bears sacred. Now, Interior Secretary Zinke must know that we will not stand by and allow Greater Yellowstone grizzly bears to go the way of the dinosaurs.
Tell Secretary Zinke that the Greater Yellowstone grizzlies must continue to be protected and to stop these attacks on wildlife!

Regardless, it looks like limited draw grizzly bear hunts near Yellowstone National Park and other GYE areas afflicted with overpopulations of grizzly bears will finally be able to manage a predator species that is well past its recovery threshold. This needed to happen years ago, but we're finally at a point of sanity and they will be removed from the federal threatened species list.
Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Comments

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Will this precipitate endless heated debate of the proper gun, rifle, load, etcetera for hunting????:uhm:
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 18,963 Senior Member
    So, what would you use to hunt a GYE Grizzly?

:-)
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 8,968 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »

.45-70. You bought yours Yet?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    .45-70. You bought yours Yet?

Perfect!!!!
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 5,935 Senior Member
    So, what would you use to hunt a GYE Grizzly? :-)
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    A pointed stick while wearing a loincloth. You bought yours Yet?

Perfect!!!!

Perfect!!!!

cjp wrote: »

..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »

...But seriously Shush....

shush wrote: »
    Perfect!!!!

Hold my beer.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 5,935 Senior Member
    Hold my dark beer.

cjp wrote: »

..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »

...But seriously Shush....

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,598 Senior Member
    The area north of Yellowstone, the Galatin Moutains would be perfect.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,139 Senior Member
    I have a 45-70! Done!! Well, other that the thousands of dollars it will cost.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    Elk creek wrote: »

Me too!!! My wife would never speak to me if I shot a grizzly.... hmm!

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,000 Senior Member
    Did the Sierra Club really say the grizzlies would go the way of the dinosaurs? If so, I think I need something way bigger than a 45 caliber anything.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Right you are, Mate.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,592 Senior Member

Maximum style and badass points for a .54 caliber 1803 Harper's Ferry flintlock rifle replica. . .though this may spark further debate as to which of you is the actual endangered species.:jester:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 1,969 Senior Member
    I'd brush the cob webs off my model 70 in .375 H&H magnum.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,695 Senior Member

Oh Pf-f-f-f-f-t, Wimps! Here hold me Guiness.....:beer:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Just like shooting a bull elk, there would be the shooting, and then the work. But who wouldn't want a great grizzly bear skin?

D
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,551 Senior Member
    Funny thing that some folks forget is that you WANT a species to be de-listed. It means they're no longer in danger of dying out, and the numbers are increasing. Species are put on the Endangered Species List to eventually get off the list. It was never intended to be a perpetual listing...
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,707 Senior Member
    Funny thing that some folks forget is that you WANT a species to be de-listed. It means they're no longer in danger of dying out, and the numbers are increasing. Species are put on the Endangered Species List to eventually get off the list. It was never intended to be a perpetual listing...
    What you said is exactly right, but groups like the Sierra Club have continually abused the ESL provisions in court to keep animals listed well beyong the recovery point. Their goal is purely to demonstrate obstructionism against hunters with complete disregard for actual biological implications. Look no further than their efforts to prevent management wolf hunts in reintroduction areas, and the more recent push to further reintroduce wolves to Colorado. It's all about negatively impacting hunters to the max extent possible.
    Oh, I'm pretty well aware of how some groups try to obstruct hunting. And fishing. No direct personal involvement, but I have witnessed it.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 3,971 Senior Member
    .270 Win. 150 grain A-Frames.

C'mon, hairy bear. I'll meet you just shy of the middle.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,045 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »
    .270 Win. 150 grain A-Frames.

C'mon, hairy bear. I'll meet you just shy of the middle.

Mike

Perfect!!! I would love to be on this hunt with you. Would you mind if I wear sneakers :tooth:
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,045 Senior Member

A pink Cricket .22 :tooth:
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,000 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    A pink Cricket .22 :tooth:

Do you want to see if one will die from laughing?
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Do you want to see if one will die from laughing?
    I think he figures it'll hurt less when the bear rams it up his tail....
    Overkill is underrated.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,175 Senior Member
    Hmmm ... my BIL has been asking for me to take him hunting ...
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 1,969 Senior Member

I heard that the Non-resident tag fee was around $6,000.00.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,139 Senior Member
    I heard that the Non-resident tag fee was around $6,000.00.
    I'm sure they will require a guide too......so all told it will cost you around 10 large for a grizzly rug.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 3,971 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Perfect!!! I would love to be on this hunt with you. Would you mind if I wear sneakers :tooth:

You won't need em. My A-Bolt carries 5 rounds.
    3 or 4 more than I need.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,707 Senior Member
    I'm sure they will require a guide too......so all told it will cost you around 10 large for a grizzly rug.

Yep. That's exactly how Alaska does it.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,536 Senior Member
    I think he figures it'll hurt less when the bear rams it up his tail....

As long as he files the front sight off....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file