BREAKING: Greater Yellowstone Grizzle Bear De-listed

Comments

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 5,878 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    As long as he files the front sight off....

That stamped sheet metal rear peep sight is damn sharp too.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 4,955 Senior Member
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    Hmmm ... my BIL has been asking for me to take him hunting ...

Make sure that you can outrun him.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,045 Senior Member
    Hey Linefinder started it when he said .270 :rotflmao:
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    That's why I Linefinder asked if I could wear sneakers... :tooth:
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 1,969 Senior Member
    Elk creek wrote: »
    I'm sure they will require a guide too......so all told it will cost you around 10 large for a grizzly rug.

Even at that...it'd still be cheaper than a guided Brown/Grizzly bear hunt in Alaska.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 3,971 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    That's why I Linefinder asked if I could wear sneakers... :tooth:

Ahh, Wambli...you underestimate the value of the finer skilz learned shooting BR comp, as do most others here...;).

I really need only 2 shots with my .270.

The first one goes through his eye socket at 200 yards.

If that doesn't do the trick, the second one's for me.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    IIRC, Gordon Eastman took a big Brown bear on one of his initial trips to the NW Territory with a .270 win.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    Linefinder wrote: »
    Ahh, Wambli...you underestimate the value of the finer skilz learned shooting BR comp, as do most others here...;).

I really need only 2 shots with my .270.

The first one goes through his eye socket at 200 yards.

If that doesn't do the trick, the second one's for me.

Mike
    :spittingcoffee::rotflmao:
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,175 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »

That is a given ... :devil:
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,083 Senior Member
    I'm sure they will require a guide too......so all told it will cost you around 10 large for a grizzly rug.

The rumor is Idaho residents will likely be around $200 for a brown bear tag if I ever get drawn. We don't have a point system so it's a true lottery. Same with moose, bighorn sheep, and mountain goats.
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,139 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    The rumor is Idaho residents will likely be around $200 for a brown bear tag if I ever get drawn. We don't have a point system so it's a true lottery. Same with moose, bighorn sheep, and mountain goats.
    The state being a government will probably see the dollar signs of an out of state hunters and somehow in state residents don't get drawn as often as nonresidents
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    The state being a government will probably see the dollar signs of an out of state hunters and somehow in state residents don't get drawn as often as nonresidents

Yeah, there are grumblings about that already with moose, sheep, and goats. The non-res fees are $2K so the residents are convinced the state gives more tags to non-residents.

Ayn Rand
    Yeah, there are grumblings about that already with moose, sheep, and goats. The non-res fees are $2K so the residents are convinced the state gives more tags to non-residents.
    With no oversight the more liberal leaning folks that don't like hunting anyway will seek to get the most benifit out of it. 2k vs. 200? Who cares if it's a guy that is going with his grandson or a daughters first hunt. Show me the money!
    The DOW here has "untouchable" status. Don't question, don't ask, just follow their rules. No exceptions. They have search and seizure powers that make most cops just stand and scratch their heads and wonder how that's possible!
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,707 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    IIRC, Gordon Eastman took a big Brown bear on one of his initial trips to the NW Territory with a .270 win.

Probably had the bayonet attached. The gun itself and the cartridge were just window dressing.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    The DOW here has "untouchable" status. Don't question, don't ask, just follow their rules. No exceptions. They have search and seizure powers that make most cops just stand and scratch their heads and wonder how that's possible!

Louisiana DOW is the same. It's not unusual to see a State Trooper and a DOW vehicle have someone pulled over. The DOW guy can search the car without permission or a warrant. If the trooper can't get either expeditiously, the just call the DOW to do the search for them.

Mike
    KSU Firefighter
    Louisiana DOW is the same. It's not unusual to see a State Trooper and a DOW vehicle have someone pulled over. The DOW guy can search the car without permission or a warrant. If the trooper can't get either expeditiously, the just call the DOW to do the search for them.

Mike

This was California's supreme court ruling in 2012:
    The California Supreme Court ruled that a game warden who reasonably believes that a person has recently been fishing or hunting, but lacks reasonable suspicion that the person has violated an applicable fish or game statute or regulation, may stop the suspect's vehicle to demand the person display all fish or game the person has caught or taken.

In ruling against Maikhio, Chief Justice Tani Cantil-Sakauye noted that hunters and anglers engage in highly-regulated sports, so they have a diminished expectation of privacy. The court reasoned that the "intrusion upon privacy engendered by a game warden's stop of an angler or hunter to demand the display of his or her catch or take is relatively minor," and furthers the state's interest in conservation.

The SCOTUS refused to review the case.

http://blogs.findlaw.com/california_case_law/2012/03/scotus-denies-review-of-game-warden-warrantless-search.html

Ayn Rand
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 8,968 Senior Member

Mike

Yep. TPWD Game Wardens are the same. They can pretty much search anywhere and everywhere a game animal could be hidden with no warrant... which means anywhere since you could stuff a white wing dove pretty much anywhere.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Yep. TPWD Game Wardens are the same. They can pretty much search anywhere and everywhere a game animal could be hidden with no warrant... which means anywhere since you could stuff a white wing dove pretty much anywhere.

Including your house.

Mike
    KSU Firefighter
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,175 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Including your house.

Mike

And when federal and state waterfowl come into play they get real picky!
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,695 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    FIFY

"Hold my Bear and watch this!!!"
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Probably had the bayonet attached. The gun itself and the cartridge were just window dressing.

Yeah right! That old .270 was killing everything from Coyotes to Elk before any of us were born.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

That's why I took that front sight off my .270 when I bought it in 1966.
    Ole Slew-Foot
    Johnny Horton

High on the mountain tell me what you see
    Bear tracks bear tracks lookin' back at me
    Better get your rifle boy before it's too late
    Cause the bear's got a little pig and headed through the gate
    He's big around the middle and he's broad across the rump
    Runnin' ninety miles an hour takin' thirty feet a jump
    Ain't never been caught he ain't never been treed
    And some folks say he look a lot like me
    [ harmonica ]
    I saved up my money and I bought me some bees
    And they started makin' honey way up in the trees
    Cut down the trees but my honey's all gone
    Old Slew Foot's done made himself at home
    He's big around the middle...
    [ harmonica ]
    Winter's comin' on and it's twenty below
    And the river's froze over so where can he go
    We'll chase him up the gully then we'll run him in the well
    And shoot him in the bottom just to listen to him yell

You better be a runnin' fast if you gonna outrun that dude!
    snake284 wrote: »
    Yeah right! That old .270 was killing everything from Coyotes to Elk before any of us were born.
    But animals weren't as tough back then, as they are now. Muzzleloaders killed deer back then!
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,337 Senior Member

10k for grizz is a bargain. You're unlikely to even touch Alaska for under 20k. Plus you've gotta figure in commercial air travel there, almost certainly a charter plane to get in, and severe weight restrictions because of that.

In the lower 48? No prob. 10k for a grizz that's guaranteed never to have been hunted by man, truly wild? Sign me up
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 383 Member
    If they eventually release a few tags $10000 wouldn't touch. First grizzly hunt in lower 48 in how many years. Tags will be few and will be $$$$
    One other thing to consider....The guy that kills the first Grizzly will be "famous".

The guy who killed the first "lower 48" wolf in Idaho received 100's of death threats from the PeTA crazies. The local militia camped around his house for a few days to protect him.

Ayn Rand
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    One other thing to consider....The guy that kills the first Grizzly will be "famous".

The guy who killed the first "lower 48" wolf in Idaho received 100's of death threats from the PeTA crazies. The local militia camped around his house for a few days to protect him.

I've always found it very odd that animal rights activists condone murder.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

Oh Well, at $10,000, that all leaves me out. But on the bright side, I don't think killing Yogi is my bag of ham hocks. I'd rather a nice white tail or sow. Maybe some day an elk, but if that doesn't ever happen I'll be satisfied killing me a whitetail and a hog every year.

In Texas we have State sponsored draw hunts on TPWD WMAs that you can put in for. They draw so many names a year for each management area, depending on populations at each area. I've been drawn a few times for various Wildlife Management Areas.

Now TPWD has bought a place between here and Port O'Connor that's been the Powder Horn Ranch all my life and now will become a Wildlife Management Area. It used to be part of the King ranch. It of course has copious numbers of white tail and wild hogs, plus a big herd of Axis and Sambar Deer. These exotics are fair game on a TPWD hunt, along with the standard White Tail and hogs.

As soon as this place is opened for hunts I'm putting in every year. You can drive right to it, the gate is about 15 miles from my front door. And if you get drawn you can do it for well under $200. So with opportunities like that who the hell needs a Bear?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file