Confederate symbols and "southern pride"

2»

Comments

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 4,967 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    back to the original topic - I have noticed that the Gadsen and Gonzalez flags seem to be taking the place of the 'stars and bars' with people who want to tell the left to go pound sand, but don't want to be seen as a racist

I've noticed this also. We live in an area that's frequently refered to as the "Redneck Riviera" and I've seen no increase in Confederate flags around here but those are more popular with young people with big, noisy, pickup trucks covered with mud and hunting related stickers but I've definitely seen a lot of Gadsen flags appearing on residential flagpoles.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,555 Senior Member
    That, I agree with. There weren't that many left in the Democrat party after JFK was assassinated. I was a JFK democrat in the early 60's but became totally disillusioned with their leftward lurch in the mid to late 60's. After that, I went through a period of voting for only Libertarian presidential candidates, before realizing they couldn't win on a national level and started voting Republican.
    I still know a few folks who are against:
    gun control
    abortion
    raising taxes
    lowering our national defenses
    and most of the other things the modern Democrat party stands for, but who still check only the "D" boxes because "That's how my family's always voted." And these folks are in their 50s or 60s. Some of them are even floored that their children or grandchildren would think of voting for a Republican or, horrors, Libertarian.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,708 Senior Member
    I get your point but yesterday's Democrats are today's Republicans. The people who voted for those Democrats are the same people who voted for Trump. There are no "blue dog Democrats" anymore. They're all Republicans.

If todays Republicans are yesterday's Democrats, then who are today's democrats?

Actually a lot of what used to be Democrats ARE Republicans now. Why? Because the party left them. And not because of racism, but because the main stream Democrats got so radical most sensible people couldn't stomach the platform. It had absolutely nothing, Nada, to do with racism. I can even name you a few Blacks that left the Democratic party for the same reasons, and you gotta know THAT wasn't because of race.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,708 Senior Member
    back to the original topic - I have noticed that the Gadsen and Gonzalez flags seem to be taking the place of the 'stars and bars' with people who want to tell the left to go pound sand, but don't want to be seen as a racist

Damn good point. I don't see the Stars and Bars as Racist, but then I'm a Southern White Boy. And the Gadsen and the Come and Take it are inspiring for the same reasons.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 500 Senior Member
    Here's one of the reasons to stop rewriting history with emotional nonsense.

Im reading a nonfiction book about WWII. It references the end of the civil war where Lee's staff suggested he disband the army of Northern Virginia to scatter into the mountains and carry on guerrilla warfare. Lee was appalled for obvious reasons. I've read about Lee and this is in line with what I've read. There must be many more instances where civilian populations were spared horrific consequences by the character of the very people that are being vilified out of context with ignorant bias.

Just saying.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 21,548 Senior Member
    snake284 said:

Damn good point. I don't see the Stars and Bars as Racist, but then I'm a Southern White Boy. And the Gadsen and the Come and Take it are inspiring for the same reasons.
    Y'all are calling the Confederate battle flag the 'stars and bars'? WRONG! The Stars and Bars flag was the First National flag of the Confederate States of America.
    Click on this link and learn the different flags of the CSA. The Battle Flag was the square flag with the stars set in a St. Andrews cross. The Confederate Naval Jack flag was the rectangular St. Andrews cross flown most frequently now. Just like with firearms, flag nomenclature is important; just ask a Navy 'signal floozie'! :)

http://www.usflag.org/history/confederatestarsandbars.html

As to the battle flag use now, it's more of an in your face show of defiance to those that wish to force their will on those who WILL not be run over, submit, or surrender to the will of the lunatic fringe Left.

A double action revolver is a semiauto firearm. It fires once for every trigger pull.

• centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,390 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    " What they fail to recognize is that, if they intend to or not, they have pushed a culture in which all other cultures should be accepted and celebrated except for working class white culture."

Winner winner chicken dinner.

They may or may not realize it but....THEY are the ones perpetuating racism. I'm so sick of being labeled as _____(fill in the blank with whatever group they seem to be hating on at the moment) that I'm more apt to BE that person.
    In reality, I won't be that person. It's not who I am. But what it HAS done is cause me to not give one single solitary flip about ________(whoever is being oppressed, real or imagined)
    Honestly I'm not going to hate, I simply I don't care .
    Of course that will be considered hate so...

For a while now I have said that we don't have a race problem, but we have a class problem. And not in the sense of Upper, Middle, and lower. But, rather in the sense of having a Marx Class struggle. We have a Bourgeois, Proletariat, and Landowner separation in the states. And, as long as those that own the businesses and political agenda convince the bourgeois and landowners it is about race then they have nothing to worry about.

"To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,677 Senior Member
    I would say that most of our social problems today stem from broken families that didn't teach the children much about morals, ethics, truth, hate, religion, or much of anything that a child can hang his hat on until he gains enough knowledge to understand what is required of an adult.

Fifty years ago, people still remembered how millions of people just like them had lost their freedom or their lives, and understood that it could have also happened to them. They understood that genuine evil exists in the world, and that it has to be defeated - not negotiated with.

It has always been true that some children will always be children, regardless of their chronological age. But, where it used to be a rarity, now it is commonplace, and therefore considered normal. The adults that the older ones among us depended on in our childhoods are long gone, and some of us did a poor job of keeping the faith, or were overwhelmed by a popular culture that always seemed to have us outnumbered.
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 1,128 Senior Member
    Taking down statues & flags will not change what people feel  !
    ( adds being ticked off to the list )
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,599 Senior Member
    I fear that the chasm between "left" and "right" has become so large, that the only thing that will be able to fill it will be the hundreds of thousands corpses left behind after "Civil War II"

So many people have re-written and forgotten their history, that we seem to be headed back to the same location last visited in the mid 19th century
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,648 Senior Member
    This is complicated--------what were the symbols the OP was referring to?

I really wish to know if I should be worried, upset, or hearing music.

And if I display a Yankee symbol would I have a problem?
    My new Signature
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 7,794 Senior Member
    NN said:
    This is complicated--------what were the symbols the OP was referring to?

I really wish to know if I should be worried, upset, or hearing music.

And if I display a Yankee symbol would I have a problem?
    Hey Ned, this is an old thread, but I was talking primarily about the Confederate flag, but also tangentially about the battle over the removal of statues. 

I will add to the original post that I understand why liberals see these symbols as racist, but that's a simplistic view that refuses to look more critically at reality and to view those who display the symbols as complex humans and not caricatures. Unfortunately that's a biproduct of our current political environmental where the primary goal is to divide people.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 17,918 Senior Member

Two of my distant cousins walked the 40 miles from Dickson Tennessee to Nashville to enlist in the Confederate army.  At least one of them survived the carnage- - - -his name appears on the county tax rolls in the 1890's.  That also means he survived the atrocities of "reconstruction" which didn't really end until WW II came along.  My great-grandmother had memories of seeing the union soldiers who occupied Nashville using the bayonets on their rifles to spear chickens, ducks, and small pigs from citizens' barnyards to supplement their rations. 

The winners of all wars write the history books, and the gullible kids who read those accounts decades later without researching the real facts grow up accepting whatever lies they're being spoon-fed by their so-called teachers.  Teach a lie for two or three generations, and it becomes "truth"- - - -the communists have been doing that since the early 1900's, and our American version of the same ideology have learned their lessons well!

Jerry

Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,217 Senior Member
    snake284 said:
    I get your point but yesterday's Democrats are today's Republicans. The people who voted for those Democrats are the same people who voted for Trump. There are no "blue dog Democrats" anymore. They're all Republicans.

If todays Republicans are yesterday's Democrats, then who are today's democrats?

Communists
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,217 Senior Member
    Teach said:

My great-grandmother had memories of seeing the union soldiers who occupied Nashville using the bayonets on their rifles to spear chickens, ducks, and small pigs from citizens' barnyards to supplement their rations. 

The winners of all wars write the history books, and the gullible kids who read those accounts decades later without researching the real facts grow up accepting whatever lies they're being spoon-fed by their so-called teachers.  Teach a lie for two or three generations, and it becomes "truth"- - - -the communists have been doing that since the early 1900's, and our American version of the same ideology have learned their lessons well!

Jerry

And my great grandmother hid the horses (and her 14 y/o self) from the rebs while they took everything that wasnt nailed down and a lot of stuff that was long before the North went South in a meaningful way. Ignoring one side of history will also cause problems.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,278 Senior Member
    Teach said:

Two of my distant cousins walked the 40 miles from Dickson Tennessee to Nashville to enlist in the Confederate army.  At least one of them survived the carnage- - - -his name appears on the county tax rolls in the 1890's.  That also means he survived the atrocities of "reconstruction" which didn't really end until WW II came along.  My great-grandmother had memories of seeing the union soldiers who occupied Nashville using the bayonets on their rifles to spear chickens, ducks, and small pigs from citizens' barnyards to supplement their rations. 

Jerry

You have confirmed what I consider the communist's most effective weapon. The patience to gradually mold our children over decades into their image. Death by a thousand tiny cuts!
    Draft dodging hippies now are in government all over the country. Thought they were funny back in the 60s not so much now.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,381 Senior Member
    edited April 11 #49
    Old Ron said:
    Draft dodging hippies now are in government all over the country. Thought they were funny back in the 60s not so much now.
    This is *SO* true. The hippie movement *did* brings some good things, but brought a lot of bad things too. Now they're in charge and I'm not seeing much, if any, of the good things left.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
    Of all people they should know that communism doesn't work they should . They lived in commune & so few did the work they broke up & drifted. Today they still want to live off others hard work. And that's what politicians do today.
2»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file