Hurricane Irma Watch ...

Replies

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 6,428 Senior Member
    I just tested out my generator to see if it still runs, and all is AOK. I'M ready!!!
    Political correctness is a liberal degrading of the freedom of speech. George Orwell's 1984 famously incorporated the notion of limiting thought through language (see Newspeak)." Meanwhile, the beatings will continue until morale improves around here.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,113 Senior Member
    Yeah, every once in a while I get some crappy odor coming my way from there, but not too often.

You ain't lived until you smelled them Honey Wagons they use all over Germany............liquidized manure and sprayed on the fields.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,253 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    You ain't lived until you smelled them Honey Wagons they use all over Germany............liquidized manure and sprayed on the fields.

The liquid cow poop doesn't smell all that bad. Now liquefied chikkin litter will clean out your sinuses RIGHT NOW! And it reactivates after a rain. :silly: :silly:

I've mixed and spread both from a 2,500 gallon liquid tank manure spreader. One of those paper dust masks with some wintergreen oil sprayed on it was mandatory. And so were goggles when spraying the liquid chikkin poop. The ammonia content in that stuff would make your eyes tear up immediately with a wind change if you weren't wearing goggles.
    Non Sibi Sed Patriage (Not for self, but country)

• RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 1,444 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    The liquid cow poop doesn't smell all that bad. Now liquefied chikkin litter will clean out your sinuses RIGHT NOW! And it reactivates after a rain. :silly: :silly:

I've mixed and spread both from a 2,500 gallon liquid tank manure spreader. One of those paper dust masks with some wintergreen oil sprayed on it was mandatory. And so were goggles when spraying the liquid chikkin poop. The ammonia content in that stuff would make your eyes tear up immediately with a wind change if you weren't wearing goggles.

Dry chicken litter doesn't smell good either. Farmers have started spreading it on their fields around here and it smell awful
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,017 Senior Member
    A friend and I were riding our dirt bikes along some footpaths through the jungle grass on Okinawa one day, one of those trails where the guy who got ahead stayed there because there was no room to pass. I was behind, and looking for a break in the underbrush to make my move. OK- - - -here it comes- - - -a wide spot in the trail! Just as I downshifted and started to pass, my buddy hit the brakes and laid his bike down- - - - - -I plowed a rut through a clearing about 100 feet across- - - - -6" deep in wet chicken poop! We were riding right behind the farm that supplied the chow halls at Kadena Air Base with their breakfast eggs- - - - -thousands of them every day! It was a stinky ride home!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,253 Senior Member
    RugerFan wrote: »
    Dry chicken litter doesn't smell good either. Farmers around.here have started spreading it on their fields around here and it smell awful

And when it rains and that stuff starts decomposing and the ammonia starts going aerosol, Woo Hoo! :silly:
    Non Sibi Sed Patriage (Not for self, but country)

• shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,260 Senior Member

Muck Spreading;

Get stuck behind one of those on a "B" road.

"Get a breath of that country air
    Breathe the beauty of it everywhere.........."

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,662 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »
    We don't want her, hope it moves out to sea, I have family living on the Outer Banks.

JAY
    Don't worry I pushed it down a bit and I'm sending it down to Cuba instead...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,244 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Don't worry I pushed it down a bit and I'm sending it down to Cuba instead...

Looks pretty much like you did ...

... but the Keys and South Florida are looking pretty scary still..
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,602 Senior Member
    And it's now a Cat 5...
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,662 Senior Member
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    Looks pretty much like you did ...

... but the Keys and South Florida are looking pretty scary still..

Well I was going to send it to north FLorida but my daughter yelled at me...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,614 Senior Member
    Starting to think about evacuating. I went through one Cat5, I don't want to go through another!

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    BigDanS wrote: »
    Starting to think about evacuating. I went through one Cat5, I don't want to go through another!

D

Thing is to where? You would have to almost leave FLA I guess and take it from there until they can give us a more precise forecast on Irma's path. I guess somewhere like Lake City as a central point to pull over and then wait and see if you need to head up to the Middle of GA fairly quickly or turn around and go back home. Then again, the closer it gets the more crazy the roads may be if they order an Evac.

It won't be like Harvey with all the rain, but winds and coastal flooding mainly.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    I don't blame anybody for leaving Miami/Key West and other coastal areas...........better safe than sorry.
  • Jack BurtonJack Burton Member Posts: 377 Member
    I tell you, they been predicting this turn to a more Northerly course for the last 200 + miles, and so far she has not complied. She's been keeping a W or WSW course the entire time. Aside from the earlier spaghetti models taking her to the Atlantic States 3 or 4 days ago, since then the only thing that seems to be certain is the forecaster's cone of uncertainty: Right down the middle of the Straights of Florida. So gosh darn frustrating!
    Came for the fishing, stayed for the guns.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 6,428 Senior Member

No, but I did spend 9 months in school in a small Illinois town that was surrounded by cattle and corn fields. Being a suburbanite from Long Island, the odorific environment was not that pleasant.
    Political correctness is a liberal degrading of the freedom of speech. George Orwell's 1984 famously incorporated the notion of limiting thought through language (see Newspeak)." Meanwhile, the beatings will continue until morale improves around here.
    Well, no kidding it kinda smelled like er............... stinky Sauerkraut of all things :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
    The prediction models keep changing once it gets close to FLA, like a woman trying to make up her mind.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,953 Senior Member
    We're starting to get ready here.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
    GFS showing more on the Easterly path a few minutes ago, Euro more Westerly????
    zorba wrote: »
    We're starting to get ready here.

Skirt Hem Tape? :jester:
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,928 Senior Member
    I got a battery operated lantern/flashlights/candles and batteries already and a BBQ grill if it comes to that.

Im goin to get me a couple of those lanterns. All I had this time was a flashlight. Had to put it in my mouth to do anything that required two hands. That sucked, but I got by.

I'm really considering spending some big money and getting a Generac Generator. I can get a 20,000 Watt that runs on natural gas for $4000 and some change. about $1000 more will get me a transfer switch that will bring it on automatically with loss of power to the house. I can get a smaller one that will handle a window unit but I want the whole banana!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,646 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    I got a battery operated lantern/flashlights/candles and batteries already and a BBQ grill if it comes to that.

Im goin to get me a couple of those lanterns. All I had this time was a flashlight. Had to put it in my mouth to do anything that required two hands. That sucked, but I got by.

I'm really considering spending some big money and getting a Generac Generator. I can get a 20,000 Watt that runs on natural gas for $4000 and some change. about $1000 more will get me a transfer switch that will bring it on automatically with loss of power to the house. I can get a smaller one that will handle a window unit but I want the whole banana!

I just had one installed last year, a 22KW natural gas. With installation it ran about $7K. Works great!
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 8,549 Senior Member
    Someone finally used their noodle and came up with a game plan. Hope everyone joins the effort..................

21314324_1657239340973942_2107713298286704373_n.jpg?oh=0eb6fab819d97d44538ab1db57edc64f&oe=5A1A262E
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    And it's now a Cat 5...

Yeah it is a cat 5 now but I see their projections on Weather Nation that when it turns north it will down grade to a cat 4. Lets hope they're right about that.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Someone finally used their noodle and came up with a game plan. Hope everyone joins the effort..................

21314324_1657239340973942_2107713298286704373_n.jpg?oh=0eb6fab819d97d44538ab1db57edc64f&oe=5A1A262E

There's a rather large number of air boats in Florida. If everybody that owned one would join in the effort, hey, might work!!!
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 7,902 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Yeah it is a cat 5 now but I see their projections on Weather Nation that when it turns north it will down grade to a cat 4. Lets hope they're right about that.
    I sure hope so. Recent reports have shown 175-180 mph sustained winds with gusts up to 220! Cat 5 starts at 155. At those speeds we're looking at a hurricane sized F3 tornado! Let's hope it slows down considerably prior to hitting land.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,602 Senior Member
    Wish it would slow down NOW! Folks in Puerto Rico, Cuba, Hait, Dominican Republic, and the Leeward Islands are gonna get straight up rocked.
    Overkill is underrated.
    They just addressed the westerly movement on Fox. They said as it gets closer to Florida it will begin a northward track as it encounters different steering currents and changes in barometric pressures.( They didn't mention Barometric pressures, that was my idea, but I believe that is the most important factor.)
    I sure hope so. Recent reports have shown 175-180 mph sustained winds with gusts up to 220! Cat 5 starts at 155. At those speeds we're looking at a hurricane sized F3 tornado! Let's hope it slows down considerably prior to hitting land.

They've been saying this is the most powerful ever in the Atlantic. I have read many times in different articles that Labor Day, 1935 the storm that hit the Florida Keys had winds close to or in excess of 200 MPH. Not gusts, sustained winds of 200 MPH and that it was the most powerful tropical cyclone ever recorded in the Atlantic. That storm actually moved a large Locomotive Engine off the tracks.

As for category they use sustained wind not gusts for that. I know this because I was living here when Hurricane Carla hit here in 1961. It was a Cat Five when it was in the Gulf. It lost some zip just before land fall and came in as a cat 4. Yet we had gusts in more than one instance to 175 (Actually those gusts, one at Union Carbide Plant and one at the Alcoa plant both exceeded 175 but broke the wind measuring instruments at both locations.) But it's still rated as a strong cat 4 storm because the sustained wind did not exceed 140-145 MPH. Category 5 starts at 155.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file