Controlled burn got a tad out of control

2»

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 21,925 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Might as well finish the burn now while there is no fuel for it to spread

:spittingcoffee: Yeah. Not like there's anything left around that patch of cattails that's liable to burn!
    Non Sibi Sed Patriage (Not for self, but country)

bullsi1911 wrote: »
    As with most things- everyone else outside of Texas is wrong.

And yes, those are ALSO tanks.

I've driven tanks before. Specifically the M-48 and the M-60 tanks. Neither one looked like that. And being filled with water would have been detrimental to me, the driver, and the crew!

• SIGgalSIGgal Senior Member Posts: 1,660 Senior Member
    Jeff in TX wrote: »
    Gotta love it, from New Jersey and say's y'all! Come on down Texas way!

Im not from New Jersey originally lol. First several years in Texas, then Florida and now dirty Jersey. I would like to come back to Texas one day soon!
    "Marriage is a hunting permit that allows you only one dear at a time"
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,244 Senior Member
    Well I live on the plains and I have never heard a pond called a tank. A tank is metal or plastic or a tire but not dirt, that is a pond. A half full 5 gallon bucket with a gunny sack or old pair of jeans can control a fire until your arm gets tired. Just keep one end wet and beat the fire and rewet it when it dries out, keep an eye behind you for rekindling. It works good if you have kids to work behind you and then you can move faster but I have fought lots of fire that way.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,197 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Might as well finish the burn now while there is no fuel for it to spread

Just me out here for the next two weeks, Even though the area is burned I'm not taking any chances from a flying ember.
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,074 Senior Member
    What you need for next time:

http://xm42.com
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,470 Senior Member
    Just me out here for the next two weeks, Even though the area is burned I'm not taking any chances from a flying ember.

Just funnen on ya Jeff. I lived in the high desert for a while, know how a spark can set things off
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,548 Senior Member
    Back fires are your friend 9a41e2f943ddc1f3e290d21bcc0728ca.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1965Jeff wrote: »
    Back fires are your friend 9a41e2f943ddc1f3e290d21bcc0728ca.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually had a 20 gal trailer sprayer I pull with my 4-wheeler I planned to use. Unfortunately we I put it away during the last use i didn't realize I had pushed it into back wall and struck something that broke one of of the plastic hose fixtures. I've reordered the parts for it which is another reason I want to wait before doing the next burn.

I actually had a 20 gal trailer sprayer I pull with my 4-wheeler I planned to use. Unfortunately we I put it away during the last use i didn't realize I had pushed it into back wall and struck something that broke one of of the plastic hose fixtures. I've reordered the parts for it which is another reason I want to wait before doing the next burn.

That would be a good thing to have available next time. Don't blame you for waiting for getting the parts to fix the sprayer for the next time. :up:

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 2,850 Senior Member

I have a 26 gallon sprayer. After breaking a few of those cheap plastic fittings they put on them and getting hosed down by weed killer, I went to the hardware store and bought brass fittings to replace all of the plastic stuff. I also replaced the cheap plastic sprayer wand with a better, metal one. The old one cracked when I forgot to run RV antifreeze through it and it froze. Now, when I put mine away for the winter, I run the RV antifreeze through it before I put it away. Keeps it from freezing and keeps the pump from rusting and getting sludged up.
    Jay wrote: »
    I have a 26 gallon sprayer. After breaking a few of those cheap plastic fittings they put on them and getting hosed down by weed killer, I went to the hardware store and bought brass fittings to replace all of the plastic stuff. I also replaced the cheap plastic sprayer wand with a better, metal one. The old one cracked when I forgot to run RV antifreeze through it and it froze. Now, when I put mine away for the winter, I run the RV antifreeze through it before I put it away. Keeps it from freezing and keeps the pump from rusting and getting sludged up.

Great points and I'm gonna head to the hardware store do the same thing later today.

• AxeAxe Member Posts: 313 Member
    Here you cant burn anything. Permits are issued by forest fire, and the fire department cant even get a burn permit! pretty sad since we have 10 4 wheelers with 1,000 gallons of water in their tanks ready to go.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,236 Senior Member
    I've seen a lot of grass fire put out by running the edge of the fire with the driver's side tires. Doesn't work too well if you have any fuel leaks.......
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,109 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    As with most things- everyone else outside of Texas is wrong.

And yes, those are ALSO tanks.
    +1

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
2»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file