Good Luck All!

BigslugBigslug Senior MemberPosts: 6,637 Senior Member
Going dark for a week and a bit to join up with Dad & some buddies to fulfill our Cultural Obligation against the local mule deer. Hopefully I'll have a report on the 130 grain .308 Barnes TTSX for y'all. If you don't hear from me in three weeks, assume that the mountain lions won.

:beer:
WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee

Replies

• shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,260 Senior Member
    Stay safe. :up:

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,077 Senior Member
    Hope you get one. Good luck to you.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,783 Senior Member
    Be safe and have fun!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,935 Senior Member
    Have a good hunt
    I have a need for speed
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,606 Senior Member
    Happy Hunting
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,200 Senior Member
    Come back with your deer. Or, on it.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,069 Senior Member
    If the mountain lions win....you'll forever be an icon around here.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,385 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »
    If the mountain lions win....you'll forever be an icon around here.

Mike
    Thank you, winner of 10 internets
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,946 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Going dark for a week and a bit to join up with Dad & some buddies to fulfill our Cultural Obligation against the local mule deer. Hopefully I'll have a report on the 130 grain .308 Barnes TTSX for y'all. If you don't hear from me in three weeks, assume that the mountain lions won.

:beer:

I hear tell Mountain Lions eat Barnes bullets like Jelly Beans. :jester:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    Good luck to you and the lions..............robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,637 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Come back with your deer. Or, on it.

I love this man. . .:wink:

Skunked on the first 12 day campout with Pop. Going up for 1 day and overnight hunts until the closer.

The only opportunities presented were about an hour and a half into the opening morning. There I was, sitting with my back against my rock when a group of FIVE bucks charges into my killing field, single file, at 190 yards, more or less facing towards me.

Direct left of the downed pine is where they appeared. Bottom left of that clearing is where they started going behind the local shrubbery.

So, I've got five deer with points on their heads suddenly appearing at a double quick-step, and I've got a thirty yard window to figure out which one to plug. I had about enough time to confirm they were all decent legal bucks and one had three points on one side. Between the minimal time and the single-file exposure, there just wasn't any time to get on the gun. Might not have fired even if I'd been proned out and ready. So it goes. . .

Not ten minutes later, I had three legal, but runty bucks come up into my field from behind the shrubs that the first five disappeared behind. Held fire on them, thinking the big brothers might be behind them.

That was it for legal targets. Saw A MESS of does, fawns, and several spikes - one of which seemed to have his toothpick antlers attached to the body of a MOOSE. Healthy deer in the San Bernardino mountians - rather amazing, considering all the Inland Empire smog they get to breathe. . .

Another three weekends or so to play. To be continued...
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,106 Senior Member
    Hey, at least you got to see some legal targets. :up:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,946 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    I love this man. . .:wink:

Skunked on the first 12 day campout with Pop. Going up for 1 day and overnight hunts until the closer.

The only opportunities presented were about an hour and a half into the opening morning. There I was, sitting with my back against my rock when a group of FIVE bucks charges into my killing field, single file, at 190 yards, more or less facing towards me.

Direct left of the downed pine is where they appeared. Bottom left of that clearing is where they started going behind the local shrubbery.

So, I've got five deer with points on their heads suddenly appearing at a double quick-step, and I've got a thirty yard window to figure out which one to plug. I had about enough time to confirm they were all decent legal bucks and one had three points on one side. Between the minimal time and the single-file exposure, there just wasn't any time to get on the gun. Might not have fired even if I'd been proned out and ready. So it goes. . .

Not ten minutes later, I had three legal, but runty bucks come up into my field from behind the shrubs that the first five disappeared behind. Held fire on them, thinking the big brothers might be behind them.

That was it for legal targets. Saw A MESS of does, fawns, and several spikes - one of which seemed to have his toothpick antlers attached to the body of a MOOSE. Healthy deer in the San Bernardino mountians - rather amazing, considering all the Inland Empire smog they get to breathe. . .

Another three weekends or so to play. To be continued...

Maybe the tree huggers got it all wrong! Maybe that smog has nutrients in it that make deer grow!

Tumors!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Looks mighty dry there. Good luck hunting!
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file