Old Guns ......New Guns

Replies

• Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 1,688 Senior Member
    Went with 6x1" .....looked better. Enough shaping for today.

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,947 Senior Member
    Old Ron wrote: »
    Working on the older 97 & covered with sawdust. Ready to put the butt plate on so I can fit it. Getting the chisel marks out can be a real time consuming thing Al. This stock has some real small pits in it. I hope those don't look goofy when I sand fill it with sealer. It has an interesting grain to it & is nice watching it coming out better & better. Every so often I moisten it to get a peek at what it will look like .
    Forgot what I was doing & came in the office for a break.

I wouldn't put sealer on it. I never have real good luck with that. I would just wet sand it. Rub on some finish and get with the sanding. Let the sandings fill the grain. Makes for a much cleaner finish.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Sounds good. I plan to get down to at least 600 before putting finish on with 800 or 1000.
    I am real new at this stock stuff.
    Just dug out a can of tung oil......do I dilute that with mineral spirits ?
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,655 Senior Member
    Sand down to about 220, then soak it with diluted tung oil and then wipe off excess after about 30 min. Then start the wet sanding, after it dries, with 320, 400, 600, etc.
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    Sand down to about 220, then soak it with diluted tung oil and then wipe off excess after about 30 min. Then start the wet sanding, after it dries, with 320, 400, 600, etc.

How diluted Al ? How many coats do you put on stocks ? Will to many cause a problem ? I have put as many as 15 on wood with cure time of 24 hours between coats.
    Dilute about 50-50 and two or three coats should be enough to fill the pores before you start wet sanding.
    I was thinking before I put finish on the butt stock .......I should pull the front grip off & soak it in acetone to pull oil out & lighten up the wood. Then finish them both at the same time with the same amount of coats. Does this make sense ?
    The pump grip is thin so will need to make up a dowel to put in it so I don't bust it . ( with my gentile touch )
    This is what I am talking about. The dark stock in the back is saturated too so I plan to get the oil out of that one too & repair the chips in it. ( you have created a wood monster here ! ) :rotflmao:

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,760 Senior Member
    I’ve thought about dunking a stock or two in acetone but I’ve always been afraid to screw it up permanently. I’ll be watching this intently hoping some has done that to learn how it turned out.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,031 Senior Member
    A less-aggressive method of removing years of oil saturation from a wood stock is Mineral Spirits. The "odorless" type (that's a lie!) that's sold at Wally World for thinning oil-based paints was what I used in a big dip tank to remove the oil from Garand stocks before refinishing them for the drill team I coached. It lightened up some almost-black stocks several shades, and after some dent raising with an iron and a damp cloth, sanding, and a few coats of Tru-Oil they looked really good. At least, they looked good until a few clumsy high school kids started dropping them while practicing fancy drill moves. I found some fiberglass M-14 stocks dirt cheap, and modified them to accept a Garand barreled action. Then we saved the fancy wood stocks for use at drill competitions.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,467 Senior Member
    Years of serious grease can be radically removed with oven cleaner. It doesn't do any favors for the wood, but it will remove grease and you can go from there. I used it on a P 14 and it did a good job. Still, grease continued to seep out but considering the years of grease on original stock, the improvement was radical. But on a less saturated stock, other methods suggest themselves.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,947 Senior Member
    This is what I am talking about. The dark stock in the back is saturated too so I plan to get the oil out of that one too & repair the chips in it. ( you have created a wood monster here ! ) :rotflmao:

Listen to Al, he's the stock master. I've seen his work and it is impeccable. He is a master of wood finish.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Sitting here with my Pepsi ......came up with a brainfart. Thinking about wrapping the wood with cloth & soak it with
    mineral spirits seal it in a container & see what happens. My thinking there is that the smaller amount of liquid the less chance of warping & the cloth would wick the oils out. On the 97 pump grip I will put a wood dowel to keep it's shape & protect it during finishing too. Time will tell if it was a good idea or not.
    Some people do that and put in a black leaf bag and put it in the sun for a few days. But you're I Iowa and don't want to wait 'till July!!
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    Some people do that and put in a black leaf bag and put it in the sun for a few days. But you're I Iowa and don't want to wait 'till July!!

:rotflmao: No kidding Al !
    They are in a sealed tub wrapped in wet rags. Plus one more done stamp ! The HY Hunter .22 cleaned up.

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,204 Senior Member
    :rotflmao: No kidding Al !
    They are in a sealed tub wrapped in wet rags. Plus one more done stamp ! The HY Hunter .22 cleaned up.

I LIKE that little gun
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    I LIKE that little gun

Thanks ......It is not all original because I made the release button & the catch mec. for the barrel. It seems tight enough that I wouldn't be scared to shoot it. ( I may just to see if it works right )
    Not a bad gun day here. I have 3 stocks soaking in a tub. Done stamp on one. Tomorrow I will peek & see if the oil is coming out. Messed up while doing inventory & mixed in some project guns with done ones. ( I'm old what can I say )
    Not happy with the sanding but is is coming along on the 2 butt stocks. Checkering is at a stand still thinking about what to try. My practice peace told me I like pulling a line better than pushing one. To me seems like more control of the tool when pulling. First finished stock attempt has a large pucker factor in my mind. I would feel better carving on my kitchen table than a nice gun stock.
    Well after 24 hours the soaking wood hasn't done much of anything I can see. I'll give it a few more days & then if nothing go to plan "B"
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,204 Senior Member
    Thanks ......It is not all original because I made the release button & the catch mec. for the barrel. It seems tight enough that I wouldn't be scared to shoot it. ( I may just to see if it works right )

I would like to see a range report from that thing. It's nifty.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    That would mean I need to get my butt busy on the pile of steel that I call a bullet trap. I have a design in mind jut not the time. Kinda like my checkering project . I really want to see if I can get some skill built up so when I tackle the 1873 Winchester 44 40 I won't screw it up. At the pace my skill level is going this could be a ways down the road.
  • Ammo3Ammo3 New Member Posts: 6 New Member
    Went with 6x1" .....looked better. Enough shaping for today.

Nice
    Putting around the house this A.M. found a home for the .22 project. It is my I don't know where to put a gun cabinet.

Well day 3 on the soaking oil out. I was gone most of yesterday so didn't get a chance to check on the wood.
    Removing snow was a bear. Today I need to pull a bunch of long guns out ( again ) one to sort out the needs fixing up ones from the done stamp ones. Wasn't thinking real well when I mixed them in. Then need to take a hard look at what I might be interested in dumping tomorrow. That will be tough because I usually just keep . Probably just shotguns will make the list. Rifles & pistols are real tough to let loose of. Maybe some holsters .....I have way to many of those. Seems like I should have started this brainfart a few weeks ago.
    Well that had a high pucker factor . Took a peek at the wood & saw this. Good news is as they dry they get lighter.

It really shows where stress cracks are too. Next if I can't find the acetone I have hidden here someplace I will buy a new can just to see how it works too.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Putting around the house this A.M. found a home for the .22 project. It is my I don't know where to put a gun cabinet.

Is the one with the white grip a Stevens?
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    early wrote: »
    Is the one with the white grip a Stevens?

It's a HY Hunter made in west Germany.
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 1,448 Senior Member
    If you don't me asking, what are the 2 brass framed pistols on the bottom?
    RugerFan wrote: »
    If you don't me asking, what are the 2 brass framed pistols on the bottom?

Not at all .......I don't mind anyone asking me anything really.I am on here to learn new things & have conversations with anyone that wan't to talk with me ......( some days I just talk to myself ) .....That's a sign.
    The one on the right is a Connecticut valley arms Navy model reproduction black powder The on on the left is Richland Arms Black powder .44 reproduction. At one point years ago I thought black powder would be fun soon to find out not so much for me.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,572 Senior Member
    Not at all .......I don't mind anyone asking me anything really.I am on here to learn new things & have conversations with anyone that wan't to talk with me ......( some days I just talk to myself ) .....That's a sign.
    The one on the right is a Connecticut valley arms Navy model reproduction black powder The on on the left is Richland Arms Black powder .44 reproduction. At one point years ago I thought black powder would be fun soon to find out not so much for me.

The bottom one in the case looks like it would be good for repelling boarders, how big is the bore?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file