Old Guns ......New Guns

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,648 Senior Member
    Or one grip for a really BIG pistol!
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 1,674 Senior Member
    :rotflmao:
    I am looking for a barrel for that Hepburn.
    Do you think they make a octagon 22 250 for that ?
    I don't think that action is strong enough for the pressures of a .22-250. It was chambered in black powder rounds like the .32-40, .38-55, .40-65, .40-70, .45-70, etc. If I were to re-barrel it, I'd go, .32-40, .38-55 or .45-70 in that order.
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    I don't think that action is strong enough for the pressures of a .22-250. It was chambered in black powder rounds like the .32-40, .38-55, .40-65, .40-70, .45-70, etc. If I were to re-barrel it, I'd go, .32-40, .38-55 or .45-70 in that order.

Who sells .32-40 octagon barrels for that ? I already have the go & no go for the head space for22-250 that's why I was thinking that. I also have some tang sights that I would like to put on it too. (kind of old school look )
    Old Ron wrote: »
    Who sells .32-40 octagon barrels for that ? I already have the go & no go for the head space for22-250 that's why I was thinking that. I also have some tang sights that I would like to put on it too. (kind of old school look )

A barrel would have to be fitted unless you are a machinist and have a good shop set up. I've had barrel work done by McGowan before and they do good work.
    I mentioned .32-40, cause of the three, that's the one I think is most fun, but there's is no ammo or brass available for it anymore. I had to reform .30-30 cases to make the .32-40. You can also us .38-55 brass but I had a lot of issues with cases splitting.
    Looks like plan "B"
    I want it in a cal that I can shoot & find the amo for.
    Oh well just a thought.......not like I don't have a million projects here to mess with.
    Well getting to be a good weekend.
    The Nylon 11 is done.

Thinking about building a " RAT GUN "
    That would be a ugly gun that still works.
    Hey they build " RAT CARS & motorcycles "
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,195 Senior Member
    Do a google image search for “BFPU” or “battlefield pick up”.

People build brand new guns, and then mess them all up to make them look like they have been through hell
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    I am not sure that I could build one .......it runs against all my thinking about guns.
    It might be fun to do but then every time I looked at it would be thinking I need to fix that old girl up.

:bang:
    Also look up "Steampunk AR15".
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Also look up "Steampunk AR15".

Now that is some crazy stuff.
    I had no idea there was so many of that type of things being built.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,217 Senior Member
    I getting nostalgic as I get older enjoy the warmth and feel of an old gun! Built on craftsmanship and not to the bottom line dollar. Don't get me wrong I have new guns that shoot lights out but when folks come over and want to shoot at the range, I tend to pull out my older guns to shoot.

In my will to my kids I have a stipulation five of my guns can never be sold or given to anyone outside of the family. Each has until 12/31/17 to tell me who wants which gun when I pass, not that I'm going anywhere any time soon. I know all three are going to ask for my 70's series 1911 (my carry gun) and the "Queen B" my 1960 Belgium Browning SA 22. It's always the first gun to leave the gun safe when one of them come out. I'm sure we'll have to draw straws for those two and the two loser will piss and moan and complain it's not fair. As for my newer guns they can fight over them and do with what they want with them.

My kids all understand the history and my love for those older guns, I just hope they catch the fever on older guns as they get older.

New guns from Remington/Winchester/Ruger/Browning and I could go on, do little or nothing for me. In my opinion they're no longer innovators for the most part. They're putting twists on new innovations from others and producing the cheapest possible cr*p/weapon for they're bottom line and it shows. Just look at Remington's dismal future. I'm liking a lot of the newer players coming onto the scene like Tikka (yes I know it's an off shoot of Sako) and some of the European manufactures. But that's me

"Out the new and in with old" is my motto now
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
    Here is one of my " I don't know guns "

Anyone know who made this ?
    Another view

Jeff in TX wrote: »
    I getting nostalgic as I get older enjoy the warmth and feel of an old gun! Built on craftsmanship and not to the bottom line dollar. Don't get me wrong I have new guns that shoot lights out but when folks come over and want to shoot at the range, I tend to pull out my older guns to shoot.

In my will to my kids I have a stipulation five of my guns can never be sold or given to anyone outside of the family. Each has until 12/31/17 to tell me who wants which gun when I pass, not that I'm going anywhere any time soon. I know all three are going to ask for my 70's series 1911 (my carry gun) and the "Queen B" my 1960 Belgium Browning SA 22. It's always the first gun to leave the gun safe when one of them come out. I'm sure we'll have to draw straws for those two and the two loser will piss and moan and complain it's not fair. As for my newer guns they can fight over them and do with what they want with them.

My kids all understand the history and my love for those older guns, I just hope they catch the fever on older guns as they get older.

New guns from Remington/Winchester/Ruger/Browning and I could go on, do little or nothing for me. In my opinion they're no longer innovators for the most part. They're putting twists on new innovations from others and producing the cheapest possible cr*p/weapon for they're bottom line and it shows. Just look at Remington's dismal future. I'm liking a lot of the newer players coming onto the scene like Tikka (yes I know it's an off shoot of Sako) and some of the European manufactures. But that's me

"Out the new in and in with old" is my motto now

I seem to be getting that way too. I have some guns I haven't looked at in years & now I am digging them out & as I handle them I get a smile on my face ( ok I have talked to them too )
    It is kinda fun finding guns that I forgot I had.
    Like this 308

Here is one of my " I don't know guns "

Anyone know who made this ?

Probably Crescent Firearms. They made most of the small name “house brand” old sxs shotguns. Can’t know more without seeing more marks on the gun
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Probably Crescent Firearms. They made most of the small name “house brand” old sxs shotguns. Can’t know more without seeing more marks on the gun

Great thanks for looking !
    It has under the forearm on the barrels .... J S 18.3 18.2 on top Government tested for smokeless powder
    The closest I could find so far was a Stevens made in 1916
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,764 Senior Member
    Great thanks for looking !
    It has under the forearm on the barrels .... J S 18.3 18.2 on top Government tested for smokeless powder
    The closest I could find so far was a Stevens made in 1916

I have a similar shotgun made by Stevens in the same time period....I'll go dig it out of the safe and let you know what I discover....

Edited to add....

Nope..mine's a boxlock...but the markings you describe are consistent with a Stevens.....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    I never used to care when things were made but now I like to know a bit more about them .....
    It might be a old person thing ! ( first time being old so don't know what to expect )
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,711 Senior Member
    Another view

I see Belgium proof marks in that picture and the bore/choke designation is in millimeters. I'd say late 1890s based on the "CHOKE" proof mark.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I see Belgium proof marks in that picture and the bore/choke designation is in millimeters. I'd say late 1890s based on the "CHOKE" proof mark.

So it is a Belgium made double 1890 s ?
    They didn't have names or model back then ?
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,711 Senior Member
    So it is a Belgium made double 1890 s ?
    They didn't have names or model back then ?
    Many didn’t. Gun making was a cottage industry in Belgium at that time with scads of small manufacturers turning out fairly similar designs. Most are very well made but without provenance they have failed to attract attention in the collector market.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Many didn’t. Gun making was a cottage industry in Belgium at that time with scads of small manufacturers turning out fairly similar designs. Most are very well made but without provenance they have failed to attract attention in the collector market.

That's great thanks so much for the education.
    On to my next one .
    I have a 2 Carcano rifles on the rear sight one has nothing on it & the other has 7.62x39 mm
    So how do I tell what cal. the second one is & why nothing on the site ?

Model 38 T.S. Moschetto Modello 91/38 Truppe Speciali07 Carcano M38 TS
    Length 36.5″ Barrel Length 17.75″ Weight 6.37 lbs Sights 200 meter fixed sights

This is a continuation of the original M91 T.S. carbine and featured in the same specialty roles. All versions feature simplified, fixed rear sights. Production continued until at least 1943, perhaps into 1944.

This rifle was introduced in the new 7.35x51mm cartridge but later reverted to 6.5x52mm because of logistical issues in the Italian military. Caliber may be determined by reading the rear sight. Additionally, some were converted to 7.92x57mm post war in attempts to market to the middle east. These will be marked on the rear sight and the stock.
    Got a Crapcano just like that only with the folding bayonet. That thing couldn't hit the earth if you aimed straight down!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file