Old Guns ......New Guns

Replies

• Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 1,947 Senior Member
    It was in the pile that the gunsmith estate had.
    I hope to get it out to shoot this next summer.
    I need to burn up some of this ammo.
    Does anyone know where the serial # is on Marlin mod.336cs 30/30 win. ?
    I have 2 of these & am trying to list them in my inventory.

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,697 Senior Member
    Look on the tang. or on the bottom of the receiver behind the forearm.
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    Look on the tang. or on the bottom of the receiver behind the forearm.

Wow !
    Thanks Al. it is on the tang ........just as big as you please.
    Looking for one on a Mossburg .22 340ka I think it is under the rear sight......that happens to be on backwards !
    I am taking that off as we speak lol
    That may nor have a ser# if it was made before 1968. I have a 340B, great shooter!
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    That may nor have a ser# if it was made before 1968. I have a 340B, great shooter!

Just ran into another one with no # on .....a 410 that I bought as a kid ( age 9 )
    And yes that was before 1968 lol
    Just did 12 guns today with photos & numbers......that's enough for today. Now I will light oil them & put them away.
    I will probably find my old list once I these done !
    No Inventory Today !
    That shot most of my day yesterday. Almost as much time as finding parts on line to order. I seem to finally find the parts I want ....................then out of stock. It is almost as bad as looking through my tubs of parts here. ( almost ) I don't know how you gunsmith guys can do that every day.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    That’s a heavy barrel Mini 30. I do not believe that’s a factory offer :uhm:

Would that make it better or worse ska ?
    Broke my am rule 1 more booked in lol
    I forgot I had this then my dad asked what I did with it. Still here dad just was lost ( kinda )

No gun work today until after the card game & lunch !
    Stuck to my word yesterday.
    Today new story .......find (look for ) gun parts......sand on stock......braze on toy tractor .....& maybe a couple more guns on the inventory list ( & oil them )
    Broke down & chiseled the butt stock to fit . Wasn't bad so I came up with the brain fart to do a second one as long as I had the tools out already. The butt plate on the second one doesn't fit right & some have told me to put filler in.....I am not real fond of that idea. I asked myself what Al would do so I started sanding.
    I did manage to pull out my Rem. M-77 with Leupold Vari-x 2 4x12 scope.

If it's a plastic butt plate, they might bend a little when you tighten the screw for a better fit. Otherwise, use your inletting black to mark the high spots and scrape it down until it fits!
    Nice looking rifle!
    Thanks Al
    This one has a metal Winchester plate. I is only about a 1/32" gap but it bugs me . With the pronounced curve in the plate it will be fun to fit. At the end of all these guns I will have more in them than they are worth but the experience is priceless to me. With snow on the ground & more coming why not learn more about guns & spruce up the cave a bit.
    It was probably never fit correctly from the factory. Or the wood shrank over the years!
    I was using the action from the 1929 - 97 to fit the butt stock for the 1904 - 97 & noticed they are different fits.
    I guess they must have changed the mold a tick. Plus the 04 the bottom of the grip is round & on the 29 it is flat.
    The round should be fun to sand & keep a nice shape to it. ( guess the belt sander wouldn't be a good idea )
    Spent about 3 hours yesterday making that part for the HY Hunter would have finished but broke my tap so will have to wait until I get a new one or 6 .
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,237 Senior Member
    Old Ron wrote: »
    Would that make it better or worse ska ?
    Depends who did the work. I remember years back some guy (Native American?) was building himself a following for doing exactly that kind of work. Any markings on it? How does it shoot?
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    Depends who did the work. I remember years back some guy (Native American?) was building himself a following for doing exactly that kind of work. Any markings on it? How does it shoot?

That rifle was part of the estate I bought. He was a gunsmith so I assume it was his doing. I have not shot it & didn't really look it over for markings. With all the stuff in this buy it will take a couple more years to see the end of this. There are 14 long guns left there that I put a bid in on but no telling if I will get those too. He had over 80 guns but his son took most but left these 14. ( they all need work ) I hauled truck loads of shooting supply s out of there. He must have been a real avid shooter. ( or was ready for WW3 )
    That rifle was part of the estate I bought. He was a gunsmith so I assume it was his doing. I have not shot it & didn't really look it over for markings. With all the stuff in this buy it will take a couple more years to see the end of this. There are 14 long guns left there that I put a bid in on but no telling if I will get those too. He had over 80 guns but his son took most but left these 14. ( they all need work ) I hauled truck loads of shooting supply s out of there. He must have been a real avid shooter. ( or was ready for WW3 )
    I would be interested to know if you went over it and saw any markings not Ruger. I have only seen one such gun in my life and it's a very interesting variation and supposedly they are excellent shooters within the limitation of the cartridge.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    Soon as I get some time to dig it out again I sure will. I believe it had on it Ruger Mini Thirty 7.62 x 39 .
    In my barrel bucket I have a fluted SS barrel that might have been on that too.
    I am looking into a safe walk in room to put these in. A row of Liberty safes just doesn't look right.
    A buddy of mine suggested selling around 50 of them & he was telling the ones he wanted to buy lol
    He is kinda right but it is tough to decide the ones to go when you like them all & see no reason to sell any.
    It is going to be an interesting weekend with a gun show & a auction right next to each other.
    I have 5 guns that I am looking for parts for. There is one dealer that has a lot of old stuff & I hope he can fill my list of parts. Some of this older stuff is tough to find but the ones from other countries is really a bear to find. Seems like a lot of guns were imported from Spain that I have. A year ago I would have just called them junk guns. I may still call them that if I don't find the parts for them.
    Scored a few parts yesterday & going back to the gun show today to see if I can find more.
    Plan on taking the Remington Hepburn to see if I can find a stock & barrel for it. Plus a friend asked if I had some lead for casting bullets. I will take him 20 or so pounds for free. The gun parts guy is kinda like Bob's gun parts guy. You can't call him or stop by his place for parts. He only sells at gun shows. ( And who said gun people are strange ? )
  • Nevermiss1Nevermiss1 New Member Posts: 11 New Member
    Weatherby wrote: »
    I'm not very interested in the new.....been all oldies for me for quite a while but I get them to use them.
    Same thing applies here, My Dad has one of those oldies and I just can't switch it to new ones.
    All depends on what you call old. I have guns I bought new 50 years ago & I don't think of them as old. The ones I call old are from the 40s back to 1800s .( closer to Al's age ) :rotflmao:
    HEY! I resemble that remark!
    Woops ! Didn't think you would see that Al !
    On another note ........I showed that Hepburn to a guy at the gun show & he said it was a real old one.
    Finding a barrel should be fun & getting it fitted will be expensive. Seems like the buy I made is getting more & more expensive as I go along.
    Good news this weekend I found parts for the Mossburg 340 KA .22 & now I have a done stamp on that one.
    I was making good progress on that part for the HY Hunter .....then 2 service calls came in & progress went in the crapper. Did have a guy want to sell me a Colt 38 spec. Det special 2". I looked it up last night & it was made in the 50s
    by the ser.#. He said he wanted $300 for it .....not a bad price from what I saw on line. I'll have to think on that one.
    He said he bought it in the 60s Army surplus for $6. Not a bad mark up. I should offer him $12 so he would double his money on it. ( not gonna happen )
    Getting ready to start the finish on this button for the HY Hunter.

Woops ! Didn't think you would see that Al !
    On another note ........I showed that Hepburn to a guy at the gun show & he said it was a real old one.
    Finding a barrel should be fun & getting it fitted will be expensive. Seems like the buy I made is getting more & more expensive as I go along.
    Good news this weekend I found parts for the Mossburg 340 KA .22 & now I have a done stamp on that one.

That is a VERY nice .22!!! I have the .22Mag version, the 640 Chuckster and it's one of the most beautiful rimfires I've ever owned. It has a really nice Black Walnut stock with nice grain. I've always wanted a matching 340 but have just not gotten around to it...
    That is a VERY nice .22!!! I have the .22Mag version, the 640 Chuckster and it's one of the most beautiful rimfires I've ever owned. It has a really nice Black Walnut stock with nice grain. I've always wanted a matching 340 but have just not gotten around to it...

I was happy to find the parts & get it back to working order.

I forgot to put the clip in for this pic ....magazine too

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file