Another hearing protection thread

13»

Replies

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,432 Senior Member
    big elk wrote: »
    I have a pair of Phonak, but always turn them off and took them out of my ears. I'm going to try them the next time out, which I don't know when that will be, I fell Dec. 17 and broke 2 leg bones and I'm still waiting for surgery and than 2 months of rehab. If I remember I'll let everyone know.

Sorry to hear this. Hope the surgery and subsequent recovery is swift and uneventful.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,685 Senior Member
    I have a pair of Phonak, but always turn them off and took them out of my ears. I'm going to try them the next time out, which I don't know when that will be, I fell Dec. 17 and broke 2 leg bones and I'm still waiting for surgery and than 2 months of rehab. If I remember I'll let everyone know.

Dang, heal up fast, Just Prayed:angel2: surgery is boringly routine and you have a full speedy recovery
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,237 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Sorry to hear this. Hope the surgery and subsequent recovery is swift and uneventful.
    Damn! Same here!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,716 Senior Member

OUCK, hope you heal quickly and completely
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 2,933 Senior Member
    Just a little update on the Walkers electronic muffs I have.

I went to the range real quick with a buddy from work today during our lunch time. He had 3 guns he has not shot yet, so we went out and put a few rounds down range. This was the first time wearing the Walkers while shooting. I am IMPRESSED. Definitely recommended, especially for the $77 I paid for them on Amazon. I first wore them while watching my buddy shoot. He started with his new Baretta M9A3. Absolutely seamless and undetectable suppression of each shot. I could not tell when the ears were cancelling noise. The first few shots he fired, it sounded to me like his pistol was suppressed and I was able to hear everything normally. I let him try the Walkers while he was shooting at one point. His reactions was, "that's freaky..." I had already paired the Walkers with my phone when I put them on, so I decided to mess with him while he was shooting by starting "insane in the brain" while he was shooting. Harder to hit your target while your laughing... He shot a few magazines out of his 3 guns, then let me shoot a magazine out of each of them. I am definitely pleased with them. Again, especially for $77.

Also, it was pretty breezy out there today. I was also happy with the way the Walkers work with the wind blowing. You can, of course, still hear the wind blowing on the mics. But it was more of a muffled sound that flat out wind in your ears. You know it's there, but I didn't find it nearly as distracting as what I've had with other electronic ears. FAR better than my old cheapy Caldwells.

All things considered, even with only having been on the range through about 40-50 rounds fired with these Walkers, I recommend them to anyone who might like a good pair of electronic muffs with the Bluetooth feature.

ETA - Here's a pic of the ones I got. Also, consider this. For those who take their cell phones out while hunting; Pairing your phone with your ears eliminates the possibility of your phone ringing or a text alert going off while you're in the field hunting. The alert will go straight to your ears and not make a sound outside. Just another thought that just came to mind....

Walkers_Razor_SL4-1024x536.jpg
    Damnit Jay, you and Wambli really piss me off. :jester:

Read this thread when it first started and toyed with the idea of getting something better than the basic electronic Caldwells I have at the moment. Then I have been deliberately ignoring new posts cos I was thinking that I might get a new set of electronic muffs when I come over in May.

As a result of your latest post..............I have now ordered a set of Walkers like yours through my niece who buys heaps of stuff on Amazon and gets it shipped over here.

Thats not the end of the story however............Its a conspiracy.

Its my sisters birthday in early Feb, which is the day before mine. Last week I ordered a 'selection' case of her favourite wine ( 2 x 6 bottles of Rose from 6 different wine makers). As its summer here I figured I would give her an early birthday present so she can 'use' it while the warmer weather was here. So I gave it to her on wed.

To cut a long story short, my niece then rings my sister, tells her about our conversation with the end result being my sister rings me 30 mins later to tell me that a pair have been ordered and they will be here for my birthday.........so I am told in no uncertain terms not to buy any.

Having had my ph ring while out hunting recently I really like the idea of having the bluetooth connection to my mobile as with mum not being well, I am carrying my mobile now wherever I go............and twice it has rung when out hunting.

My question is, do they interfere with shouldering a rifle under normal hunting circumstances?
    I’ve used my Leighs hunting a few times and I don’t recall them interfering at all. These Walkers do not look any bulkier. The big ones I ordered are fine at the bench too. I think they’ll be my range pair and I’ll get these Walkers for hunting.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    orchidman wrote: »
    Damnit Jay, you and Wambli really piss me off. :jester:

Read this thread when it first started and toyed with the idea of getting something better than the basic electronic Caldwells I have at the moment. Then I have been deliberately ignoring new posts cos I was thinking that I might get a new set of electronic muffs when I come over in May.

As a result of your latest post..............I have now ordered a set of Walkers like yours through my niece who buys heaps of stuff on Amazon and gets it shipped over here.

Thats not the end of the story however............Its a conspiracy.

Its my sisters birthday in early Feb, which is the day before mine. Last week I ordered a 'selection' case of her favourite wine ( 2 x 6 bottles of Rose from 6 different wine makers). As its summer here I figured I would give her an early birthday present so she can 'use' it while the warmer weather was here. So I gave it to her on wed.

To cut a long story short, my niece then rings my sister, tells her about our conversation with the end result being my sister rings me 30 mins later to tell me that a pair have been ordered and they will be here for my birthday.........so I am told in no uncertain terms not to buy any.

Having had my ph ring while out hunting recently I really like the idea of having the bluetooth connection to my mobile as with mum not being well, I am carrying my mobile now wherever I go............and twice it has rung when out hunting.

My question is, do they interfere with shouldering a rifle under normal hunting circumstances?

You won't be disappointed. Based on my use of them around the house and now at the range, I have no reason to think they will not work very well when hunting. And the ability to have your phone alert while hunting and nobody but you will hear it I think will really be a big benefit.

As for your question, that's something I should have checked as one the first things I did after I got them. Unfortunately, All I have done with them so far was with handguns. When I get home from work this evening, I'll shoulder a few different rifles with them and post up my findings.

One thing I can say based on looking at them, they are pretty slim. But more importantly, the bottom of them is cut at angles that seems to be geared toward reducing interference with a rifle stock. That's my theory. I'll test that this evening.
    Here's the link that I got from my Amazon previous orders. The ones shown here appear a little different than mine, but they otherwise seem to be the same thing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06W576CHT/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    The result of trying several rifles while wearing the Walkers; not one of them touched the muffs at all. As a matter of fact, only one came close to touching. All the others had enough room for me to run my fingers along the top of the stock with it shouldered and had plenty of room for my fingers to pass without touching the bottom of the muff.

Guns tested were:
    AR15 with M4 style stock
    Weatherby Vanguard in a Boyd’s featherweight thumbhole stock - only one that got close to the ears due to it being a raised cheek weld stock.
    Mossberg 500
    Stevens 200 (Savage 10)
    Savage Axis
    Marlin 917

All clear. No interference at all. Hunting or shooting from a bench, no problem. Tried standing, swinging the gun as if following a moving target and tried kneeling. Only thing I haven’t tried is prone.
    Jay wrote: »
    Here's the link that I got from my Amazon previous orders. The ones shown here appear a little different than mine, but they otherwise seem to be the same thing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06W576CHT/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thats the one. Bring on Feb lol.
    Jay wrote: »
    The result of trying several rifles while wearing the Walkers; not one of them touched the muffs at all. As a matter of fact, only one came close to touching. All the others had enough room for me to run my fingers along the top of the stock with it shouldered and had plenty of room for my fingers to pass without touching the bottom of the muff.

Guns tested were:
    AR15 with M4 style stock
    Weatherby Vanguard in a Boyd’s featherweight thumbhole stock - only one that got close to the ears due to it being a raised cheek weld stock.
    Mossberg 500
    Stevens 200 (Savage 10)
    Savage Axis
    Marlin 917

All clear. No interference at all. Hunting or shooting from a bench, no problem. Tried standing, swinging the gun as if following a moving target and tried kneeling. Only thing I haven’t tried is prone.

Excellent. Thanks for testing that. The only reason I didnt replace my Caldwells when they started giving me problems was that they were unsuitable for field use due to their bulkiness..............and everytime I shouldered my rifle they contacted the stock which, being synthetic on the Tikka's, made a hollow clunk out of all proportion to the force.
    Absolutely. Glad to help. I really think you’ll enjoy them when you get them. I made the mistake of having two of them in my cart when I checked out, not noticing until I got my order confirmation. I bought $640 worth of stuff when I ordered them, so $77 didn’t register to me at the time. But now I’m glad I did. I have the second pair put away untouched in the package. I’ll either keep them stashed away for backups or give them as a gift later when something comes up and I don’t feel like going shopping. I see they’re $75 now. You’d seriously be hard pressed to find ears this good at that price.
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 1,500 Senior Member
    I've got a question about these headphones y'll bought: I like to listen to music while I'm on the lawnmower. Right now I use wired ear buds and wear a pair of Caldwell muffs. I'm wondering about a pair with Bluetooth. Reckon they'l work ok to listen to music through them while I'm on the mower? It' a 25 hp zero turn mower. It's quite loud.
    RugerFan said:
    I've got a question about these headphones y'll bought: I like to listen to music while I'm on the lawnmower. Right now I use wired ear buds and wear a pair of Caldwell muffs. I'm wondering about a pair with Bluetooth. Reckon they'l work ok to listen to music through them while I'm on the mower? It' a 25 hp zero turn mower. It's quite loud.
    That’s actually something I’ve considered using mine for but haven’t tried yet. Mostly because it’s so dusty and dirty where I live and I don’t want to get my nice new ears full of dirt. Lol

Hard to know without knowing the level of noise your mower makes, but I’m pretty confident they would work just fine. They do a good job of blocking outside noise, which allows you to hear the music. If I can shoot a muzzle brake down 454 Casull pistol safely and hear my music, I’m pretty sure a lawn mower wouldn’t be no problem at all. 
    While on this thread, I will report that I found out the hard way that the Walkers do not have auto shutoff if you leave them on. Left mine on and they killed the batteries. 
    After thinking about it a minute, I’m a little more sure they would work well for operating machinery. They have independent volume control, so you can turn them on, leave the outside sound volume all the way down, blocking out outside noise, then turn the Bluetooth volume up as high as needed to Hearn the music. 
    Freaking stupid autocorrect is killing me today...
    Thanks, Jay
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,716 Senior Member
    I have a brand new pair of the Walker Razor Ears. Will write up a report when I get home
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,120 Senior Member
    Hummmmm, I wonder if ALL hearing aids have noise compression technology built in...
    No sir. 
    My latest model (approximately 2 yrs old)  do not & previous model didn't either.
    Perhaps I didn't know to ask for excessive noise supression, and not sure it was available on brands/models in question. Most aids are programed to the user's specific hearing loss, and have a certain amount of crowd or white noise sound suppression. 

ONCE, I made the mistake of not removing hearing aid (only used one at the time) as I set up my gear at the rifle range. Sure as sunrise, the only other shooter fired off a round. Good Golly Miss Molly! It was just short of painful.

Now I stop at the front gate and remove my hearing appliances & use plugs or muffs. 

Frankly, I wouldn't expect aids to be effective as protection, that's not what they are designed for.  

"The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
    41magnut said:
    Hummmmm, I wonder if ALL hearing aids have noise compression technology built in...
    No sir. 
    My latest model (approximately 2 yrs old)  do not & previous model didn't either.
    Perhaps I didn't know to ask for excessive noise supression, and not sure it was available on brands/models in question. Most aids are programed to the user's specific hearing loss, and have a certain amount of crowd or white noise sound suppression. 

ONCE, I made the mistake of not removing hearing aid (only used one at the time) as I set up my gear at the rifle range. Sure as sunrise, the only other shooter fired off a round. Good Golly Miss Molly! It was just short of painful.

Now I stop at the front gate and remove my hearing appliances & use plugs or muffs. 

Frankly, I wouldn't expect aids to be effective as protection, that's not what they are designed for.  

Good to know.  Actually when I bought my old behind the ear Walkers with the noise/shot suppression the first thing I did was throw out the factory foam plugs and get one of the custom ear plug kits (they do work REALLY well) and after they cured I drilled a hole into the ear canal and inserted the tube in and PRESTO a great sound magnifier with outstanding sound suppression.  The new hearing aids have these little open silicone basket thingies.  A lot more comfortable for long term wear but useless for blocking noise in any way.
    My boys gave me a pair of the Walker Razor muffs w/Bluetooth for my birthday this week. I should mow tomorrow but with this sinus infection I'm gonna wait a few more days
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,015 Senior Member
    edited May 12 #85
    My Phonaks Do suppress sound. I found out accidently. What I used to do was shut them off when I would shoot. They acted like ear plugs when shut off. Anyway, one day in between checking targets I forgot to shut them off when I started shooting again and then realized my error after I had fired a couple rounds. I didn't have ringing ears and didn't sense I had been exposed to high decibels. So unwisely l continued to shoot. Then I asked my audiologist if my hearing aids would cut out harmful ear damaging decibels and she told me she thought they would but the company wouldn't guarantee it because they had not tested them as such.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    RugerFan said:
    My boys gave me a pair of the Walker Razor muffs w/Bluetooth for my birthday this week. I should mow tomorrow but with this sinus infection I'm gonna wait a few more days
    Nice!  Let us know what you think when you get around to it. 
    Thanks. I'll probably start mowing later next week if the rain holds off
  • Troy800Troy800 New Member Posts: 15 New Member
    I have two.  I like them and use them at local pistol shoots.  They fit good and very comfortable.  I bought them for the 30 Db protection.  The additional db make a lot of difference when shooting the pistol at the inside range.  I still wear double protection thou.  Like my impact sport they just shut off sound when ambient sound is above 82db.  They do have a slightly hum when at full volume but I don't notice it when wearing double hearing protection.  I can use them with my rifle but prefer the low profile of the impact sport.  Hard to beat for the price.
    Jay said:
    RugerFan said:
    Nice!  Let us know what you think when you get around to it. 
    I resurrected this thread for a different reason but first.................... I wanted the bluetooth so I could stream music while I am mowing.  While the bluetooth function did work, the mower was just too loud. 

Now, the reason I brought this thread back:

I just bought a pair of Howard Leights 30db reduction for $26 and change. They are brand new, never opened. They are on the bulky side. May be difficult to shoot a rifle while wearing these.

I found them in a store called "Bargain Hunt". It's a physical store, similar to Dirt Cheap which is a chain of stores.  If you have one of these stores near you yiou may want to check them out.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,242 Senior Member
    I take a nap before I go to work. One day as soon as my head hit the pillow, the backyard neighbours had both their pit bulls singing a chorus. I put on my new S&W muffs and slept so good even my dreams were silent. Woke up, and thought the four legged fiends were done. Nope, took the muffs off and they were still at it. So much for good fences, I'll take good ear muffs instead.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,027 Senior Member
    snake284 said:
    My Phonaks Do suppress sound. I found out accidently. What I used to do was shut them off when I would shoot. They acted like ear plugs when shut off. Anyway, one day in between checking targets I forgot to shut them off when I started shooting again and then realized my error after I had fired a couple rounds. I didn't have ringing ears and didn't sense I had been exposed to high decibels. So unwisely l continued to shoot. Then I asked my audiologist if my hearing aids would cut out harmful ear damaging decibels and she told me she thought they would but the company wouldn't guarantee it because they had not tested them as such.
    Phonaks won't cut sound--------they just won't amplify dangerous sound levels.
    you will get high sound around and through those toadstool looking ear inserts.

and you can't cover your ears because the phonaks will screech.
    I have a need for speed
13»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file