Man cave stuff

Comments

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 5,878 Senior Member
    One thing I haven’t seen mentioned. Ventilation. Your new plasma cutter will make at least as much smoke as stick welding and just as nasty, even on new clean metal. Fume extractors are great but expensive, a big fan can be almost as effective but not as clean.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 1,083 Senior Member
    I was real happy when I went to a larger mig. welder. You will probably say same as I did " why did I wait so long ? "
    I too like a really neat shop .......just never seem to have the room to keep it that way. My projects range from 1/4"
    things to 17 tons. And wow do you need a lot of different tools for everything. As usual I don't buy small amounts of anything it seems. Why buy a packet of sandpaper when you can get a case .....less chance of running out. I guess as long as I get projects done it really doesn't matter. This weekend I hope to turn some of my over stock into cash. With all the projects I have planed or going on I wouldn't run out for a few years. ( or more ) I do get a couple done stamps on things every month.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,349 Senior Member
    Old Ron wrote: »
    ...to 17 tons.

D8 Cat?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,249 Senior Member
    One thing I haven’t seen mentioned. Ventilation. Your new plasma cutter will make at least as much smoke as stick welding and just as nasty, even on new clean metal. Fume extractors are great but expensive, a big fan can be almost as effective but not as clean.

I installed two 10,200 scf fans when I built the shop, makes some nice airflow.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    I was real happy when I went to a larger mig. welder. You will probably say same as I did " why did I wait so long ? "
    I too like a really neat shop .......just never seem to have the room to keep it that way. My projects range from 1/4"
    things to 17 tons. And wow do you need a lot of different tools for everything. As usual I don't buy small amounts of anything it seems. Why buy a packet of sandpaper when you can get a case .....less chance of running out. I guess as long as I get projects done it really doesn't matter. This weekend I hope to turn some of my over stock into cash. With all the projects I have planed or going on I wouldn't run out for a few years. ( or more ) I do get a couple done stamps on things every month.

Except for maybe a nice metal ban saw I’m pretty good on tools now. I still have to transfer some from the garage to the shop but I already have pretty much anything I may need.
    I too have a lot of cash tied up in consumable parts, you’re right it sucks to run out in the middle of a project.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    I have 3 metal band saws. One hand held , one smaller bench , one larger on wheels. With those & a sawsall That pretty well covers finer cuts. With those & my plasma cutter & torch I can make a scrap pile real fast. What do your projects usually consist of ? If you are doing old gun rescues you will want a media blast cabinet sooner or later........& you already have a nice big compressor. ( just a thought )
    I have 3 metal band saws. One hand held , one smaller bench , one larger on wheels. With those & a sawsall That pretty well covers finer cuts. With those & my plasma cutter & torch I can make a scrap pile real fast. What do your projects usually consist of ? If you are doing old gun rescues you will want a media blast cabinet sooner or later........& you already have a nice big compressor. ( just a thought )

A media blast cabinet is definitely on my list. My projects have always been pretty small but I’m going to ramp up a little my little 5x10 trailer rebuild, a couple of fire pits are my first projects after I finish the shelves. Also transferring the rest of my tools from the garage is a need to do. I have plenty to keep me busy until summer.
  • Ammo3Ammo3 New Member Posts: 6 New Member
    timc wrote: »
    A media blast cabinet is definitely on my list. My projects have always been pretty small but I’m going to ramp up a little my little 5x10 trailer rebuild, a couple of fire pits are my first projects after I finish the shelves. Also transferring the rest of my tools from the garage is a need to do. I have plenty to keep me busy until summer.

that would be a nice project. i'm planning to do the same too. I have a lot of stuff that needs some organizing
    Ammo3 wrote: »
    that would be a nice project. I'm planning to do the same too. I have a lot of stuff that needs some organizing

My organizing skills need a lot of work. I changed axles on my 6'x12' trailer last spring. It had a drop down axle & I wanted a straight. Found a good deal on new ones with brakes on . ( $350.00 with new rims & tires ) I really like the breaks on it when I haul steel or wood. The new axle had heavier springs too witch is a plus .
    Picked up a pipe bender real cheap today, couldn’t pass it up for the price. Guy I got it from said he only used it one time. This will be handy to have.

qvjDTen.jpg
    Damn, you got ALL the dies too.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Damn, you got ALL the dies too.

And manual!
    And manual!

Manual!? We don’t need no stinking manual!
    Dad 5-31-13
    Mine sits in the corner a lot but wow when I need it they are really handy. Yours is much better because it has a stand.
    Mine ends up on the floor or a short bench.
    Mine sits in the corner a lot but wow when I need it they are really handy. Yours is much better because it has a stand.
    Mine ends up on the floor or a short bench.

I figured it would be handy to have but I really don't have any needs for it right now.
    You can never go wrong with tools. When I get my big shop set up I want a hoist ......I hate bending over to change tires or break work besides my fat keeps me from just sliding under like the old days. Was just thinking about that this AM .....was wondering how my belly got so big ..... as I pondered the situation I had 4 more cookies & a couple cans of Pepsi. I never did find the answer.
    You can never go wrong with tools. When I get my big shop set up I want a hoist ......I hate bending over to change tires or break work besides my fat keeps me from just sliding under like the old days. Was just thinking about that this AM .....was wondering how my belly got so big ..... as I pondered the situation I had 4 more cookies & a couple cans of Pepsi. I never did find the answer.

I definitely know the too fat to slide under thing! I have a game hoist for my truck to put up to 600 pounds in the bed of the truck that fits into a receiver hitch. I'm thinking of adding one to my work bench to pick up heavy stuff to work on.
    I definitely know the too fat to slide under thing! I have a game hoist for my truck to put up to 600 pounds in the bed of the truck that fits into a receiver hitch. I'm thinking of adding one to my work bench to pick up heavy stuff to work on.

Now that sounds like a great project. Get more uses out of one thing......good thinking there !
    Now that sounds like a great project. Get more uses out of one thing......good thinking there !

It is pretty handy, that's what I used to set my compressor when I got it. That was the only way I could wrestle that 450 pound monster by myself.
    I'm kinda spoiled here because I have rollback carts that I move pop machines with & 2 of my trucks have lift gates on them. When I bought that anvil the guy was amazed how easy it was for me to move & load it myself. I always chase the easier & safer way to do things.
    Am making a cutting edge for my snow blower . Was going to fold steel with my box break .....then thought it would be easier to just weld 2 peaces together than fold one. I have one of those combo. breaks with a roller & shear. I made some ash pans for old wood burners & that really was a nice tool to use . Making round bale handles for heaters is sweet with the roller too.
    I don’t have anything that intensive to play with in my shop, just small potatoes compared to yours but I can definitely see how it makes it nicer to work with stuff.

I picked up another sheet of expanded metal, a sheet of 1/4” plate, 2 sheets of 1/8” plate and 50 feet of 1” square tubing yesterday. I have some stock to work with. Let the project begin!
    Finally got around to putting the new mig welder together. Hopefully I can get out of work early enough tomorrow to pick up a bottle of gas for it. I’ve been on the fence about 100% Co2 or 75/25 argon/ Co2 mix. I think I’m going to give in and go with the mix. Supposed to rain all weekend so don’t know if I’ll get started on my fire pit or not. I’m also on call at work so maybe not.

pvwKobm.jpg
    Just how big is this fire pit going to be? If that is galvanized expanded metal stand upwind the first couple times you burn your pit.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Just how big is this fire pit going to be? If that is galvanized expanded metal stand upwind the first couple times you burn your pit.

Thinking hexagon probably 36" with a swing over grill. Won't know for sure until the second or third beer into the project.

The expanded metal I have is not galvanized so no issues.
    Having steel new tools & a shop.......now the party starts. With your new plasma cutter you can cut designs all it the steel too. I use the 75/25 mix too. With the welder you have you could do aluminum if you used 100% argon but if you are like me I rarely do aluminum. If I ever get a need I probably will just buy a tig welder to add to the collection. Are you planning on take down fire pits ? With a roller you could do round ones too.....( just saying )
    Having steel new tools & a shop.......now the party starts. With your new plasma cutter you can cut designs all it the steel too. I use the 75/25 mix too. With the welder you have you could do aluminum if you used 100% argon but if you are like me I rarely do aluminum. If I ever get a need I probably will just buy a tig welder to add to the collection. Are you planning on take down fire pits ? With a roller you could do round ones too.....( just saying )

Not really wanting to get into the business of making them, just one for me right now and maybe one for a buddy of mine which I will probably do since he has donated some stuff to the shop and is taking me axis hunting next month and I need the practice! All this junk is just to make me happy and give me something positive to do in my goof off time.
    Soon as you get the addition put on the shop you will have a nice cnc machine to make all sorts of cool projects. With the access to inexpensive steel I would be going nuts with new ideas. ( like I'm not nuts with new ideas & projects already ! )
    Soon as you get the addition put on the shop you will have a nice cnc machine to make all sorts of cool projects. With the access to inexpensive steel I would be going nuts with new ideas. ( like I'm not nuts with new ideas & projects already ! )

LOL, yes I have lots of ideas for stuff but too little time. With spring coming up quickly I have a powerful urge for a fire pit so that has to get started quickly!
    If you intend to paint your fire pit I highly recommend VHT Header Paint. It is expensive but that paint holds up to heat better than any other rattle fan product I have tried.
    Dad 5-31-13

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file