Don't laugh, but I just bought a...

zorbazorba Senior MemberPosts: 15,393 Senior Member
... $100 bill Hi-Point!
attachment.php?attachmentid=10936&d=1457923739

Its going to be a "shelf gun" once I run enough ammo through it to have confidence in it for that role. It'll be interesting to find out if its complete junk, or "better than expected for the price". In any event, I still think Hi-Points are no worse looking than Glocks, maybe a bit better. Once we'd made the decision to buy a cheap shelf gun (wife's idea), I just had to get the "gang banga" version!

In any event, it will beat this:
attachment.php?attachmentid=10935&d=1468185151
-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper

Comments

• roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,049 Senior Member
    I played with a Hi Point 9mm (plain, not gang banga///LOL!) a while back...felt okay to me, and the price was surprisingly low, for what it is.

Then watched a few youtube about the torture testing and kinda impressed me. Did't buy it as I already have a 9...just wanted to check it out. Hope it works well for you.
    Support your local Scouts!
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,194 Senior Member
    As a shelf gun, if it only works once it's better than yelling get out.
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 3,962 Senior Member
    And if it doesn't work once, you'll wish you bought something else. Watch hickcock45s review see how many times it jams.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,548 Senior Member
    On the upside you have a a boat anchor when it doesn't work out...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,600 Senior Member
    I've test fired a mess of 'em, and they seem to be miles ahead of the extended Lorcin family for reliability.

I do like the "street dealer" look to that one. You're never going to make a Hi Point look good, so you might as well have fun with it.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,106 Senior Member
    Actually Scott put one through a pretty tough torture test and videoed it and posted it on the G&A website, IIRC the president of the company made him a bet that if he could NOT make it fail he had to buy it. He ended up sending him a check.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,393 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    I've test fired a mess of 'em, and they seem to be miles ahead of the extended Lorcin family for reliability.

I do like the "street dealer" look to that one. You're never going to make a Hi Point look good, so you might as well have fun with it.

Pretty much, huh? Its so stupid that ya gotta like it!

From what I've read, if you get a good one, you've got a good one. If you get a bad one, send it in and it'll come back "good". We'll see. There's an entire forum devoted to them. A co-worker in California bought one, said it shot just fine. Hopefully, mine will be just as good.

Oh, and Bud's has 'em fer $176 for those who want to get in on this deal! :jester:

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Actually Scott put one through a pretty tough torture test and videoed it and posted it on the G&A website, IIRC the president of the company made him a bet that if he could NOT make it fail he had to buy it. He ended up sending him a check.

There's a few of them on YouToob - some of the torture testing goes completely full **** and the gun keeps on going.

• BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 3,962 Senior Member
    I would trust my life to the carbine, pistol I'm not so sure. But you have a couple advantages. The bad guy may laugh himself to death or you could throw it at him and do some damage. Hell it may even go bang.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    I would trust my life to the carbine, pistol I'm not so sure. But you have a couple advantages. The bad guy may laugh himself to death or you could throw it at him and do some damage. Hell it may even go bang.

Might ugly the BG to death too! :tooth: But then, the same could be said of Glocks.

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,600 Senior Member
    The simple truth of the matter is that John Browning stomped some pretty big footprints in the earth while he was here.

Take a look at the schematic for the FN/Browning 1910 and compare it to that of these cheaper, striker-fired autos. The 1910 family has members that live on vast country estates as well as in trailer parks down the street from the local landfill, but take a good look at the two and there's no question they're related.

The Lorcin variants are crap only because they went too far down the road of "how cheaply can we produce this basic concept?", where Hi Point appears to have hit the brakes a bit sooner. The 1910 is probably the most cloned pistol in history because you can do all of THAT :vomit: to it and it will still work most of the time. I can't say that this is what happened, but if you took a couple hundred Lorcins, looked at what their most common failures were, and re-engineered the gun around fixing those, you might end up with something like a Hi Point.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,713 Senior Member
    I've seen a mountain of them out at our range. I don't remember anybody having a problem with them. However, I can't say the same about a Taurus. But a Taurus wins the beauty contest hands down.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,652 Senior Member
    You might win the ugly gun contest :uhm:
    My new Signature
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,342 Senior Member
    My nephew has one in .45. He doesn't shoot it much. I don't trust them and don't like the way they look...but they seem to work, just work don't look even as good as a Taurus. Which look pretty good, come to think of it. They're not refined at all. I've got too many 9mms to want one even for a shelf gun (whatever that is.) Maybe Zorba can work it into his belly dance..."The Dance of the Ugly Gun."
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Yo, sup, yo!

As long as you're still Zorba and not G-money all is still good n' the hood.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    NN wrote: »
    You might win the ugly gun contest :uhm:

If it works out OK, I'll bring it to the shoot, you can give 'er a whirl!
    Gene L wrote: »
    My nephew has one in .45. He doesn't shoot it much. I don't trust them and don't like the way they look...but they seem to work, just work don't look even as good as a Taurus. Which look pretty good, come to think of it. They're not refined at all. I've got too many 9mms to want one even for a shelf gun (whatever that is.) Maybe Zorba can work it into his belly dance..."The Dance of the Ugly Gun."

For $176, you don't get "refinement"!!!

But I still think they're no uglier than Glocks.

early wrote: »
    Yo, sup, yo!

As long as you're still Zorba and not G-money all is still good n' the hood.

I tried to come up with some kind of cute jive response to this, but failed! :silly:

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 30,201 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    If it works out OK, I'll bring it to the shoot, you can give 'er a whirl!

For $176, you don't get "refinement"!!!

But I still think they're no uglier than Glocks.

Re: Don't laugh, but I just bought a...

Who is laughing :uhm:............:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::spittingcoffee::spittingcoffee::spittingcoffee::spittingcoffee::spittingcoffee::spittingcoffee::spittingcoffee::spittingcoffee::spittingcoffee::spittingcoffee::spittingcoffee::spittingcoffee::spittingcoffee::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2:

Hey, I've seen specials on Taurus lately that had them down to that price range..............never thought the day would come when I told somebody you could have bought a Taurus for what you paid for that gun...........true it ain't wrapped in counterfeit bills, but..........here was a quick search......

https://www.deguns.net/taurus-pt-111-g2-1-111031G2-12-725327610601-p/1-111031g2-12.htm
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • SIGgalSIGgal Senior Member Posts: 1,588 Senior Member
    That sure is an interesting pistol there Zorba lol. Hope it works well for you.
    "Marriage is a hunting permit that allows you only one dear at a time"
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Hey, I've seen specials on Taurus lately that had them down to that price range..............never thought the day would come when I told somebody you could have bought a Taurus for what you paid for that gun...........true it ain't wrapped in counterfeit bills, but..........here was a quick search......

https://www.deguns.net/taurus-pt-111-g2-1-111031G2-12-725327610601-p/1-111031g2-12.htm

Shoot Chief, I figured you'd be the first guy to buy one - after all, it ain't a Taurus! :roll2: Besides, that gun you linked to costs $3 more! When you're fighting for the bottom of the bucket, every cent counts! :jester:

SIGgal wrote: »
    That sure is an interesting pistol there Zorba lol. Hope it works well for you.

Its kinda an experiment. I like to see what all the hubbub is about with things like this. Besides, 30 years from now it'll be worth at least $100 more! :jester:

Its kinda an experiment. I like to see what all the hubbub is about with things like this. Besides, 30 years from now it'll be worth at least $100 more! :jester:

No it won't :rotflmao:

AJA I don't think the MSRP on those has changed more than a few bucks in the last 10 years but I can almost guarantee you it will probably still be going bang reliably...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    But its a LIMITED EDITION COLLECTOR'S VERSION! :rotflmao: :jester:

You're right!!! Sorry brother, my bad :tooth:
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    You're right!!! Sorry brother, my bad :tooth:

I'll sell it to ya for $280 in 30 years... (!!!)

• shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 1,971 Senior Member

I think the tactical punisher rock has much sleeker lines Zorba.
    I'll sell it to ya for $280 in 30 years... (!!!)
    Done! :cool2:
    I think the tactical punisher rock has much sleeker lines Zorba.

That's probably true - but remember: The punisher rock doesn't have the uber-cool $100 bill motif!!

• dlddld Member Posts: 313 Member
    the ones I tried had the stiff triggers and around 15lb pull. I thought the safety was on till the guy that owned it said pull harder
    dld wrote: »
    the ones I tried had the stiff triggers and around 15lb pull. I thought the safety was on till the guy that owned it said pull harder

SUPPOSEDLY, if you get one with a stiff trigger, it needs to be sent in. From what I've read on the Hi-Point forums. Customers get to do their own QC!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file