Stupid TV gun stuff!

Big Al1Big Al1 Senior MemberPosts: 6,655 Senior Member
So I'm watching episode 6 of Longmire last night and here's what I saw. In one scene Longmire shoots a plastic toy barn with his .30-30, and there's only a hole in one side!! Now, I'd expect that kind of performance from a .270 but a .30-30!!??

Then, later in the show his deputy picks up a loaded Savage 99 and goes to eject the round from the chamber. His hand slides back and forth on the fore arm and you here sound of an action opening and closing, and the action never opens and you don't see a round eject!! This stuff drives me nuts!!

Like seeing a C-130 fly by with a recip engine sound track!!

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,572 Senior Member
    The Walking Dead has been phoning it in this year, yes I realize reality on a zombie soap opera is thin, but if I had been humping a rifle and a pistol daily AND shooting them for as long as they have been on the show, there would zero need for full auto.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,404 Senior Member
    I didn't catch the Savage noise, I watched LM after I went I bed and fell asleep most epsisodes, having to re watch most of them. :tooth:
    But, at least they did mention it was a savage 99, and mentioned it was rare because of the cartridge counter.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,655 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I didn't catch the Savage noise, I watched LM after I went I bed and fell asleep most epsisodes, having to re watch most of them. :tooth:
    But, at least they did mention it was a savage 99, and mentioned it was rare because of the cartridge counter.

The slide action 99 is the rarest!! Although, one of Bill Ruger's first gun smithing projects was to turn a Savage 99 into a semi-auto rifle.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,244 Senior Member
    A funny thing on some TV shows is when semi-autos fire they do not eject spent casings ... The Walking Dead was a big offender on this one.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,305 Senior Member
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    The slide action 99 is the rarest!! Although, one of Bill Ruger's first gun smithing projects was to turn a Savage 99 into a semi-auto rifle.

He (Bill Ruger) was way late. J.M. Browning made a full auto lever action a long time ago. :tooth:

Link explaining how he did it.

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2009/05/ron-shirtz/the-man-behind-the-guns/
    Non Sibi Sed Patriage (Not for self, but country)

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,766 Senior Member
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    A funny thing on some TV shows is when semi-autos fire they do not eject spent casings ... The Walking Dead was a big offender on this one.

Considering the volume of shooting they do, one would think that'll that spent brass would be great for tripping up the walking dead...

Also noticed that with all the shooting, the ejection port cover on an AR would be open....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    The sound affects are priceless. A S&W revolver makes a grinding multiple click noise when cocked. All handguns, rifles, and shotguns must always make the sound of being cocked when presented. Oh, and anyone holding a gun lords power over the unarmed so as to administer speeches of righteousness. Not to mention the ability to blow stuff up with a well placed shot or two.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 1,171 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    The Walking Dead has been phoning it in this year, yes I realize reality on a zombie soap opera is thin, but if I had been humping a rifle and a pistol daily AND shooting them for as long as they have been on the show, there would zero need for full auto.

Aside from the full-auto driving me nuts, the morbid tactics and the fact they can't hit anything beyond 25 yards with a rifle!!!!!

Did you see the recent episode where there were two guys standing guard in front of some double doors with glass windows. They get simultaneously shot in the head. The blood sprays the glass vigorously but the glass itself doesn't even crack!!!!!!! Where did the bullets go?

How is it that during the Zombie Apocalypse in any movie.....Only the dumb ones survive....Now I know I'm dead for sure.
    :jester:
    "Facts are stubborn things and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of the facts and evidence" — John Adams
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    Another thing, on every cop or cop type show you see them racking the slide just before they go in. In 36 years of LEO service, I never holstered my gun without a round in the chamber..........robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 8,557 Senior Member
    HAWKEN wrote: »
    Another thing, on every cop or cop type show you see them racking the slide just before they go in. In 36 years of LEO service, I never holstered my gun without a round in the chamber..........robin

I saw a movie (don't remember name) where they racked the slide twice with no ejection........ That gun is empty!
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,750 Senior Member
    HAWKEN wrote: »
    That one drives me up a wall, specially since immediately after that they get into a shootout that ends on slide lock after 3 rounds out of the Glock...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,005 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    ...ends on slide lock after 3 rounds out of the Glock...

California magazine.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
    zorba wrote: »
    California magazine.
    :rotflmao: never thought about that!!!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • ArmoredmanArmoredman Member Posts: 309 Member
    There was a Jean Claude VanDamme movie I saw years ago where he grabs up a pistol and racks it while leaping - you can watch the chambered round fly out in slo-mo. Almost as much fun as the "10mm caseless" pulse rifles of the Colonial Marines being fired in the air conditioning ducts of LV426 in Aliens...and brass is flying everywhere. I have heard that if you watch it carefully, the Sterlings made into Stormtrooper rifles in Empire Strikes Back during the Cloud City scene can be seen ejecting empty brass...
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,196 Senior Member
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    So I'm watching episode 6 of Longmire last night and here's what I saw. In one scene Longmire shoots a plastic toy barn with his .30-30, and there's only a hole in one side!! Now, I'd expect that kind of performance from a .270 but a .30-30!!??

Then, later in the show his deputy picks up a loaded Savage 99 and goes to eject the round from the chamber. His hand slides back and forth on the fore arm and you here sound of an action opening and closing, and the action never opens and you don't see a round eject!! This stuff drives me nuts!!

Like seeing a C-130 fly by with a recip engine sound track!!

Just watched the second episode. Dude gets shot at about 50 yards... hit in the chest. Later on Ruby reports that the hospital dug the bullet out of the body, and it was probably a 375 H&H.

Sorry- no. A 375 h&h would blow clean through a human and keep on trucking. Would not be any bullet to dig out, and probably not much lung left either.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,913 Senior Member
    There are plenty in old movies and TV series, but the one that has always bugged me the most is "Wanted: Dead or Alive." Josh Randall wears ten pounds of .45-70 ammo around his waist and carries a sawed off Winchester in .44-40, that he 'fans.' The whole premise of that particular mini-rifle is stupid, but I still liked the show back then.

John Ford was one the best makers of westerns, but he had more than his fair share of technical errors. In one of my all time favorite movies, "The Searchers," everybody was carrying 1873 Colts and Winchesters, in 1868. Also, he didn't bother to edit out one of Ward Bond's negligent discharges, of which I'm quite sure there were many. To be fair, no westerns of that era wanted to waste time loading each cylinder of an 1860 Colt or 1858 Remington, or even swapping out an empty cylinder with a loaded one, but I wish they had. There would be less scenes where everybody was wasting all of their ammo shooting at things they could never hit with a revolver, which probably didn't happen much in real life.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,572 Senior Member
    Spk wrote: »
    Aside from the full-auto driving me nuts, the morbid tactics and the fact they can't hit anything beyond 25 yards with a rifle!!!!!

Did you see the recent episode where there were two guys standing guard in front of some double doors with glass windows. They get simultaneously shot in the head. The blood sprays the glass vigorously but the glass itself doesn't even crack!!!!!!! Where did the bullets go?

How is it that during the Zombie Apocalypse in any movie.....Only the dumb ones survive....Now I know I'm dead for sure.
    :jester:

Off topic, but how about that anemic tiger? That thing would have been a BLUR if agitated and in shred and bite mode and could have easily leaped 20- 30 feet out of any trouble it perceived.
    Neegan lives surrounded by tall warehouse type buildings, even Zee would have found some place to perch and shoot him by now:jester:

And the archery folks? Head shots, EVERY time.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,188 Senior Member
    Wife and I just watched The Dark Tower the other night. Entertaining movie, but don’t get me started on the revolver handling and operations by The Gunslinger...
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,115 Senior Member
    Whenever someone pulls out a gun, you hear a series of clicks like a single action revolver being cocked, even if it's a Glock.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    bisley wrote: »
    There are plenty in old movies and TV series, but the one that has always bugged me the most is "Wanted: Dead or Alive." Josh Randall wears ten pounds of .45-70 ammo around his waist and carries a sawed off Winchester in .44-40, that he 'fans.' The whole premise of that particular mini-rifle is stupid, but I still liked the show back then.

John Ford was one the best makers of westerns, but he had more than his fair share of technical errors. In one of my all time favorite movies, "The Searchers," everybody was carrying 1873 Colts and Winchesters, in 1868. Also, he didn't bother to edit out one of Ward Bond's negligent discharges, of which I'm quite sure there were many. To be fair, no westerns of that era wanted to waste time loading each cylinder of an 1860 Colt or 1858 Remington, or even swapping out an empty cylinder with a loaded one, but I wish they had. There would be less scenes where everybody was wasting all of their ammo shooting at things they could never hit with a revolver, which probably didn't happen much in real life.

Not to mention how the bad guys always ride into town shooting their revolvers off into the air non-stop, yet have plenty of ammo on tap for the inevitable gunfight, and still have enough left over to shoot their revolvers off into the air non-stop on their way out of town!

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Wife and I just watched The Dark Tower the other night. Entertaining movie, but don’t get me started on the revolver handling and operations by The Gunslinger...
    You mean the double action Remington’s with the swing out cylinder? :uhm:

Hey at at least that one is supposed to be fantasy. Damnation, supposed to take place around the 1920s and one of my current favorites, started the pilot with one of the main characters whipping out a REALLY modern 1911 with beaver tail and am I safety and TOTALLY modern sights. Looked an aweful lot like my Wilson Combat. By episode 2 someone caught on to the idiocy and swapped it out for a more GI looking gun.
    Not to mention how the bad guys always ride into town shooting their revolvers off into the air non-stop, yet have plenty of ammo on tap for the inevitable gunfight, and still have enough left over to shoot their revolvers off into the air non-stop on their way out of town!
    Or shoot it out for hours and still have a full cartridge belt...
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,655 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »

I recently have watched old episodes of Wanted dead or alive and Wyatt Earp. Lots of fun re-watching on an HD 60" TV, you see a lot more than on a 19" B&W with rabbit ears and lots of snow!!
    McQueen is the king of cool, and if you watch he way he gets on a horse, he jumps up in the air an puts his left foot in the stirrup. In one scene he jumps up, tries to put his foot in the stirrup and misses!! Scene OVER, because .5 seconds later he was on is ****! I've also seen him fan his Mare's Leg more than once!
    Saw Earp buffalo a bad guy with his Buntline special, after the guy gets wacked the barrel is bent in a big U. Good times!!
    LMLarsen wrote: »

As a fan of the first few Dark Tower books, that movie was a damn abomination. Frigging horrible
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Or shoot it out for hours and still have a full cartridge belt...

That cartridge belt is endless, don'tcha know?

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 1,171 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Off topic, but how about that anemic tiger? That thing would have been a BLUR if agitated and in shred and bite mode and could have easily leaped 20- 30 feet out of any trouble it perceived.
    Neegan lives surrounded by tall warehouse type buildings, even Zee would have found some place to perch and shoot him by now:jester:

And the archery folks? Head shots, EVERY time.

I'm actually glad they killed off the CGI tiger. They were doing that whole "pulled a thorn from the tiger's paw and now it's your Bestest Buddy" to death. And yeah... a tiger that size wouldn't be taken down by a few clumsy weak zombies. Also, it seems like the moment you die, your head takes on the consistency of a ripe apple!! Make stabbing them in the head soooooooooo much easier.

Even Ron White's son could kill Neegan at those distances. "Hey, let Scooter have a shot." Considering these guys are supposed to be Georgia boys, you would think they'd be much better at shooting.

Speaking of Georgia....I want to know who has control of all the ammo warehouses in that area. They would be the real Kingpins. Atlanta Arms comes to mind.
    https://atlantaarms.com/

Or what faction got control of ATK (formerly Lake City Army Ammunition Plant) in northeastern Independence, Missouri? These are the real groups you'd have to watch for.

I think The Walking Dead is trying too hard to be mainstream but I still watch it since there's very little new programing that even interests me. Although, it does seem like they lost a little of their flavor after season four. I still break out the popcorn for TWD, it's still good for some laughs or tantrums.

I'm still waiting for TWD season 10 bombshell.............Daryl really, really likes Rick. The way the wind is blowing on that show, it wouldn't surprise me.
    :popcorn:
    "Facts are stubborn things and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of the facts and evidence" — John Adams
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    As a fan of the first few Dark Tower books, that movie was a damn abomination. Frigging horrible
    Which is why I gave up on reading the books
    before the movie comes out. It just never works wel.....
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,544 Senior Member
    Ever notice in the Walking dead many of those ARs don't have a selector switch.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    bullsi1911 wrote: »

Great. Just bought the DVD @ Mall Wart for $1.97...

Great. Just bought the DVD @ Mall Wart for $1.97...

That is what we call “a clue”
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file