IWB Vs OWB

jaywaptijaywapti Senior MemberPosts: 4,147 Senior Member
Just a personal observation, being tall and skinny, I only weigh 145 lbs. I can not wear a IWB CC, even tried a suede lined holster with a Ruger LCP 380, they chafe on my hip bone, the most comfortable for me are the Bianchi OWB, and even than i wear them more toward the back than on the hip. My normal CC are a 1911 .45 or Charter Arms .44 spc.

Any of you other skinny guys have this problem ??

JAY
THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

Replies

• bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,412 Senior Member
    I'm a long way from skinny, but do you wear an undershirt? I realize you live in Florida, but it might help with the chafing.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,814 Senior Member
    Not skinny, and not a problem for me. A "Chrisbreed" holster is quite comfortable even with a full sized 1911.

I normally carry my LW commander now though.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,046 Senior Member
    I'm probably closer to an average build to slightly overweight but I don't care for IWB holsters either. I generally wear loose clothing and I prefer high riding pancake style holsters for anything that I carry unless it's my LCP which has a techniclip on it and it hooks inside of a pocket.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,777 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »
    Just a personal observation, being tall and skinny, I only weigh 145 lbs. I can not wear a IWB CC, even tried a suede lined holster with a Ruger LCP 380, they chafe on my hip bone, the most comfortable for me are the Bianchi OWB, and even than i wear them more toward the back than on the hip. My normal CC are a 1911 .45 or Charter Arms .44 spc.

Any of you other skinny guys have this problem ??

JAY

yes even though I an a little bit more filled out than you describe yourself----193/6' 1&1/2".

I want a t-shirt for IWB----hot and no T-shirt then I opt for IWB or a pack.
    I have a need for speed
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,225 Senior Member
    I don't like either, I pocket carry all the time anymore.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,227 Senior Member
    5’11” 180lbs and I carry some form of single stack 1911 IWB. Depending on what and the weather I carry either a Sparks Versa Max off strong hip and can get away with an untucked polo or a SA EMP IWB appendix with a Remora. The EMP/Remora combo disappears with anything ... even sweat pants or gym shorts.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 571 Senior Member
    At 6'4" and 245 I can't remember the last time I was accused of being skinny, but when I need to deep conceal for work I use the Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0 IWB holster. It has neoprene padding where it touches your hip and the belt clips are 8" apart so it distributes the weight well. It has a thin sheet of stainless steel between the layers so it is flexible enough to follow the contours of your body without losing its shape. The steel also prevents your gun from digging into your hip. I wear it at the 4 o'clock position. I also always wear an Under Armour Heat Gear compression fit undershirt so that the holster does not rub my skin. It is designed to wear with your shirt tucked in so I can wear it with work clothes and nobody has a clue it is there. I think it is about as comfortable as an IWB holster will ever get.

attachment.php?attachmentid=11081&d=1512762025
    attachment.php?attachmentid=11082&d=1512762026

I too prefer OWB and normally use this Sneaky Pete:

attachment.php?attachmentid=11083&d=1512762028
    attachment.php?attachmentid=11084&d=1512762029

If I am dressed appropriately I will wear this Alien Gear Cloak Mod paddle holster:

attachment.php?attachmentid=11085&d=1512762031

These are what work for me, but people come in all shapes and sizes so what works for me may or may not work for you.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,147 Senior Member
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »
    I'm a long way from skinny, but do you wear an undershirt? I realize you live in Florida, but it might help with the chafing.

Getting awful personal aint ya?? :rotflmao::rotflmao:

Sometimes during the cool months, I did try it but it didn't help. Been thinking about a shoulder holster when we go out to diner since I usually wear a jacket, any thoughts??

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,404 Senior Member

Sometimes during the cool months, I did try it but it didn't help. Been thinking about a shoulder holster when we go out to diner since I usually wear a jacket, any thoughts??

JAY
    You can make a shoulder rig work. I sometimes wear one under my jacket to church on Sunday. Requires practice, practice, practice. But they are very comfortable.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • SIGgalSIGgal Senior Member Posts: 1,660 Senior Member
    Obviously Living where I do I cant carry. But I am practicing for when I get my NH license in a few weeks and can carry when we are in Pa. IWB is very comfortable since my waist band on pants and skirts run a little large anyway, and with my small frame it is easier to conceal a pistol. I forget the model holster it is, but it is a Desantis IWB holster for a glock 26. Sadly with my size, carrying a handgun isn't the easiest task outside of putting it in my purse which isn't very practical either. I am only 5'2" and 110 pounds with a 22" waist.
    "Marriage is a hunting permit that allows you only one dear at a time"
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,617 Senior Member
    There's a lot of variables to IWB comfort. I used to run a Glock 22 and a 1911 in identical Blade Tech holsters without much discomfort, but the smaller Glock 27 in the same model/style holster poked and prodded in very unpleasant ways.

Shape of the gun is a factor. Holster design is a factor. Weight of the gun and how tight you have to cinch your belt is a factor. Body shape is a factor. Design of your pants is a factor. Width of your belt is a factor. With all those moving parts, my advice or anyone else's is only going to get you so far. Only thing for it is to try Holster A, figure out what you don't like about it and use that in the selection of Holster B, C, D, etc... Not unusual at all to end up with a drawer full of low mileage holsters.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,227 Senior Member
    Bigslug makes a very good point ... what is best for me might not be for you. The one thing though that does pretty much hold true across the board is a good belt is a must. In general a regular belt is not enough for the weight of carrying a regular holster and pistol. After that be ready to try quite a few setups ... and carrying one gun one way may not be the best way to carry a different gun. The other factor is to me there is no true comfortable way to carry a handgun of my choice ... it comes down to making the best of it and getting use to doing it like buying pants one waist size up and shirts with a slightly longer tail that tend to help conceal. It comes down like Bigslug says what works best for you.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,074 Senior Member
    Try appendix carry. I used to hate it, because I was a lard ass. Now that I've lost weight, it works well for me.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,071 Senior Member

JAY

I hate shoulder holsters. I really dislike things draped across my shoulders
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,068 Senior Member
    The only IWB I like is appendix carry and I utilize that method quite often. Anywhere else on my waist and I prefer OWB.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,637 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    I hate shoulder holsters. I really dislike things draped across my shoulders

Like drunk blondes.....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,288 Senior Member
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »

No help from me on this thread, even on a cloudy day me and my shadow are too fat for an opinion!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 2,756 Senior Member
    I carry IWB at about 4 o'clock. Carry my Shield and the G19 the same way. Been carrying this way since I got my permit. Like others have said, I buy those thin moisture wicking tank tops to wear under my shirts. Doesn't matter if it's the middle of the summer I have got use to them under my tee shirts. Been doing it so long it's like my wallet I don't even know it's there.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,007 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    The only IWB I like is appendix carry and I utilize that method quite often. Anywhere else on my waist and I prefer OWB.

This. I rarely OWB anymore.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,468 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »
    This. I rarely OWB anymore.

Mike

So, I have been trying this IWB appendix carry with my Kahr K9, my pants are about 1/2-1 size over, it is hard to sit and kind of looks like I am glad to see you, tough to sit seat belted in the trucks, using a DeSantis 106 D6. 4-5 O'clock is not great with a tucked in shirt either, gotta wear my cell phone on my belt for camo. I just keep dropping my J-Frame in my front pocket, but magazines seem like a better way to go in certain situations, if not all.

Any suggestions anyone?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 1,943 Senior Member
    I carry OWB as others at about 4.
    When I started I weighed 228 pounds and am 5'11, I now weigh about 184 and find it much more comfortable.
    Our constitutional carry went into effect last August and I carry pretty much daily. I carry the 380 or 9mm.
    When the weight started coming off had to drop down from 38 to 34 in pants but have stayed with the x-large shirts.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,677 Senior Member
    I'm still pretty new at this, but IWB at about 2 or 2:30 seems to be working for me...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,161 Senior Member
    Most comfortable with a pistol for me is IWB at 3:30, whether it’s a 1911, my Shield, or anything in between. Revolvers are almost always OWB between 3:00 and 3:30, with the exception of my old Charter .38 when I’m feeling nostalgic.

I tried appendix carry, but my Dunlap Syndrome prevents it from being comfortable, especially when I sit. Or turn, lean over, walk, whatever...
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    So, I have been trying this IWB appendix carry with my Kahr K9, my pants are about 1/2-1 size over, it is hard to sit and kind of looks like I am glad to see you, tough to sit seat belted in the trucks, using a DeSantis 106 D6. 4-5 O'clock is not great with a tucked in shirt either, gotta wear my cell phone on my belt for camo. I just keep dropping my J-Frame in my front pocket, but magazines seem like a better way to go in certain situations, if not all.

Any suggestions anyone?
    Get a remora holster and cure the di ckie-do disease.
    Zee
    cpj wrote: »

Did they fix the problem from early Remoras where the glue in the seam oozed out in hot weather? Nasty sticky mess, it was...
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    cpj wrote: »

I'll second the Remora recommendation. Thanx to CPJ's recommendation, my wife and I both carry Remoras and they work well.

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Did they fix the problem from early Remoras where the glue in the seam oozed out in hot weather? Nasty sticky mess, it was...
    BTFOOM.
    Zee
    Huh?

NRA Endowment Member
    He doesn't know.

LMLarsen wrote: »
    Huh?

Beats The Out Of Me
    Zee

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file