Successful Hunter's Weekend.

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 18,968 Senior Member
I guided a family from Florida deer hunting this weekend on my friend.

They have been coming to Texas every year for the past 10 years, but this was their first time on this ranch.

Guns:
Custom .300 Remington Ultra Mag (Grandfather) - 180gr Barnes
Weatherby Mark 5 in .300 Remington Ultra Mag (Son) - 180gr Accubond
Remington 700 in .25-06 Remington (Son) - 90gr Hornady GMX

I'll keep it simple and make a photo montage with key info.

Grandfather - 82 Years Old / Vietnam Vet

TsUApBg.jpg

pvhJVEX.jpg

zXIctKM.jpg

fACXDPy.jpg

7Epw8DE.jpg

5Ei0zcI.jpg

E7fLUFd.jpg

ii7tskl.jpg

Shot was 105 yards. Buck ran 24 yards leaving a massive blood trail. Buck ran 24 yards and fell.

6C5bRGv.jpg

GjeYuPV.jpg

Scored 149-/14"
6.5 Years Old

wol37ZZ.jpg

Son - The son hunted with my rancher friend, so I wasn't with him when he shot his buck.

Tczb2Bn.jpg

25 yard shot
Buck dropped on the spot
4.5 years old

Grandson

bqOhYUq.jpg

yrJy9f6.jpg

jHG4vjd.jpg

130 Yard Shot
Buck ran about 70 yards and entered the brush.
Boy and I approached and the buck tried to get up. We both aimed in at 20 yards while the buck struggled to regain his feet. I told the boy, "You need to shoot him or I'm going to!" The boy fired and the buck dropped.
First shot was quartering away and the bullet struck the front of the on side shoulder. Broke the shoulder and traveled forward through the neck. Exiting the off side. Did not penetrate the vitals. Just broke the shoulder and severed the esophagus and damaged the carotid/wind pipe area. Would have been fatal, but lengthy. Second bullet entered the back of the ribs quartering forward. Lodging under hide in front of off side shoulder.

RpGQyny.jpg

6.5 year old buck

Odds and Ins Pics.

7Kbvlny.jpg

ed11QOD.jpg

TUg873e.jpg

A productive weekend. Supposed to have 3 more hunters coming in the next few weeks.
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
«1

Comments

  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,652 Senior Member
    Big racks, hey.
    My new Signature
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Serious antlers!
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,609 Senior Member
    Nicely done :up:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.


  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,717 Senior Member
    Great work and great bucks for all of those hunters!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,548 Senior Member
    All damn good bucks.....well done!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • shooter10mmshooter10mm Member Posts: 205 Member
    Interesting Zee.....I was asked about the GMX bullet this weekend, if it didn't fair well under .25-06 velocities, I'd be out on them. I started a new load with the 115gr Berger this weekend and dispatched an unlucky feeder visitor cull buck Sunday morning at 187 yards slightly quartering towards me. Bullet entered point of right shoulder, exited the drivers side heart area..... At impact the 3.5 year old deer jumped I swear as high as the feeder roof, splattered on the ground and entered death throes.....He was Done.
    Have you had any luck with the GMX??
    All in all it looks like a great family weekend for them!! Kudos to the Old mans equipment choices!! Looks like a Swarovski or Schmidt topped rifle in one of my favorite calibers, with Leica range finding binos around his neck!

    Definitely my kinda people!!! HAhaa!
    Great photos dude!!
    "You miss 100% of the shots you do not take!"
    "As long as there's Lead in the air there's hope!
    " -- Ralph Adkinson(Daddy) The original Marlboro Man
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 8,981 Senior Member
    That is a hell of a weekend! Nice deer and great hunt!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula Member Posts: 205 Member
    Nice pics!

    I would love to hunt there too. Totally different enviroment from what we have here.
    To see a World in a Grain of Sand And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
    Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour
    -William Blake-
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,542 Senior Member
    Rifle season here finished last weekend, was too warm for good Deer movement. I’m glad your hunters got to some deer to take home, from the looks of the pics some good memories were made.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 36,717 Senior Member
    Sweet pics. :up:
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,008 Senior Member
    How come the spike is the biggest? Probably best eating, too. :jester:

    All kidding aside, looks like you had a very successful weekend, and your hunters got some really nice south Texas bucks. Good for them and you. Congrats!

    The two older men must have really thought a lot of those deer, though. They certainly packed enough firepower.
    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 18,968 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    The two older men must have really thought a lot of those deer, though. They certainly packed enough firepower.

    Far be it from to to believe in too much gun. I’ve used everything from a .223 Remington to a .458 Win Mag and most every caliber in between.

    But, I did find it interesting that they spoke as if such was needed. When the boy didn’t kill his deer with the first shot and required the sneak and follow up shot, the Dad mentioned it was time for the boy to move up to a 7mm Rem Mag as it worked better on deer.

    I was there when the boy sighted in the rifle. It ain’t the cartridge. Personally, I would spend more time teaching the boy to shoot accurately with his already perfectly good deer cartridge than on a larger/faster cartridge that will have more recoil and blast........making the poor boy an even worse shot.

    Cartridges should be a personal option. Not a personal excuse.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 18,968 Senior Member
    Interesting Zee.....I was asked about the GMX bullet this weekend, if it didn't fair well under .25-06 velocities, I'd be out on them. I started a new load with the 115gr Berger this weekend and dispatched an unlucky feeder visitor cull buck Sunday morning at 187 yards slightly quartering towards me. Bullet entered point of right shoulder, exited the drivers side heart area..... At impact the 3.5 year old deer jumped I swear as high as the feeder roof, splattered on the ground and entered death throes.....He was Done.
    Have you had any luck with the GMX??
    All in all it looks like a great family weekend for them!! Kudos to the Old mans equipment choices!! Looks like a Swarovski or Schmidt topped rifle in one of my favorite calibers, with Leica range finding binos around his neck!

    Definitely my kinda people!!! HAhaa!
    Great photos dude!!

    I have never used the GMX.

    All I've used in my .25-06 are the 115gr Berger H-VLD and the 117gr Hornady SST. Both did exceptionally well.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 13,766 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Personally, I would spend more time teaching the boy to shoot accurately with his already perfectly good deer cartridge than on a larger/faster cartridge that will have more recoil and blast........making the poor boy an even worse shot.

    Cartridges should be a personal option. Not a personal excuse.
    Yep. And from the looks of that recovered bullet, it performed very well.
  • shooter10mmshooter10mm Member Posts: 205 Member
    Zee wrote: »
    I have never used the GMX.

    All I've used in my .25-06 are the 115gr Berger H-VLD and the 117gr Hornady SST. Both did exceptionally well.

    I agree, I've always used the 115gr Ballistic Tip and have never had a single problem as they are super accurate. But since I switched up to Berger's in other calibers I wanted to try them.... When we cut up that Cull's leg cleaning/Skinning him.....It fell off lolol :cool2:
    "You miss 100% of the shots you do not take!"
    "As long as there's Lead in the air there's hope!
    " -- Ralph Adkinson(Daddy) The original Marlboro Man
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 18,968 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Yep. And from the looks of that recovered bullet, it performed very well.


    If his first shot had been where his second shot was...........it would have been a moot point.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,717 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Far be it from to to believe in too much gun. I’ve used everything from a .223 Remington to a .458 Win Mag and most every caliber in between.

    But, I did find it interesting that they spoke as if such was needed. When the boy didn’t kill his deer with the first shot and required the sneak and follow up shot, the Dad mentioned it was time for the boy to move up to a 7mm Rem Mag as it worked better on deer.

    I was there when the boy sighted in the rifle. It ain’t the cartridge. Personally, I would spend more time teaching the boy to shoot accurately with his already perfectly good deer cartridge than on a larger/faster cartridge that will have more recoil and blast........making the poor boy an even worse shot.

    Cartridges should be a personal option. Not a personal excuse.

    Amen to your thoughts on that. It blows my mind what people think is necessary to kill a run-of-the-mill deer these days (be it whitetail or mule deer). Not a thing can make up for an inability to place a bullet properly.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,106 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Amen to your thoughts on that. It blows my mind what people think is necessary to kill a run-of-the-mill deer these days (be it whitetail or mule deer). Not a thing can make up for an inability to place a bullet properly.

    Had a guy tell me he "uses a .300 WinMag for Georgia deer because he does not want to track them." Oh hell then why not just use hand grenades?


    Great story and as usual great pictures! Thanks!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,337 Senior Member
    Those are some good looking deer.
    I used to believe that bigger calibers made things deader too. Ex FIL taught me differently.
    Looks like your a good guide as well as shot, congrats
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,609 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Had a guy tell me he "uses a .300 WinMag for Georgia deer because he does not want to track them."
    Hey, that's why I break out the "wulf :tooth:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.


  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,713 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Far be it from to to believe in too much gun. I’ve used everything from a .223 Remington to a .458 Win Mag and most every caliber in between.

    But, I did find it interesting that they spoke as if such was needed. When the boy didn’t kill his deer with the first shot and required the sneak and follow up shot, the Dad mentioned it was time for the boy to move up to a 7mm Rem Mag as it worked better on deer.

    or

    Cartridges should be a personal option. Not a personal excuse.

    Exactly. If he can't do it with a .25-06, maybe deer hunting isn't his thing. A .25-06 with a 90-100-or 115 grain bullet is the deal for Texas deer and I would imagine for any deer. Yep a 7 Mag will work too, but not exactly necessary. I mean if you have one and you can shoot it well, use it. But it doesn't have to be so. Use what you can shoot well and like to shoot. But that kid needs to be taught that bigger can't make up for poor shot placement.

    Actually, you don't even NEED a .25-06, my little .250 Savage will kill Texas White Tail all day long with a 115 grain bullet.

    I've used 117 Grain Hornady Interlocks and my favorite is a 115 Grain Combined Technologies Ballistic Tip. But even with that, you still need to hit it where you aim. Again, shot placement. Nothing works better.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,182 Senior Member
    Wow, nice bucks! Great job guiding!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

    John 3: 1-21
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,713 Senior Member
    BTW, great write up and pics. I like it when you write about a hunt. That's my kind of write up.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,717 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Had a guy tell me he "uses a .300 WinMag for Georgia deer because he does not want to track them." Oh hell then why not just use hand grenades?


    Great story and as usual great pictures! Thanks!
    Wow. Please don’t tell that poor soul about the pronghorn buck that I dropped on the spot with a .243 Win., or the mule deer buck that didn’t make it 20 yards after being hit with the same 100 gr. bullet. He might hate himself for sustaining that kind of abuse under those pretenses.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,128 Senior Member
    As usual great story and pictures, the son with the 25-06 needs to learn that shot placement is far more important than sheer power, glad they had a good hunt.

    JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 18,968 Senior Member
    This Grandfather/Father/Son trio hunted with us Friday and Saturday.

    On Thursday evening, two other members of the hunting party hunted with us. They were using a .300 WSM and a .300 Weatherby. It started cold and windy Thursday afternoon. By an hour before dark, it was snowing so hard I couldn’t see 50 yards. That is only the second time I’ve ever hunted Texas in the snow.

    We saw plenty of deer. Just nothing they wanted or could afford.

    Seems that entire family has a preference for fast .30cals.

    They asked my favorite cartridge and I said, while I was a 6.5 and 7mm fan, I’d probably done more with a .308 Win than anything else. They kind of scoffed at that. So, I took them outside the barn and pointed at the 1,600 yard target.

    No takers.

    :-)
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,600 Senior Member
    Am I the only one to notice that Grandpa's camo jacket is. . .

    AWESOME?
    WWJMBD?

    "Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,717 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Am I the only one to notice that Grandpa's camo jacket is. . .

    AWESOME?

    That’s the first time I can recall seeing someone hunting in a pattern perfectly suited for a marijuana patch.

    Seriously though, that’s some cool, old school stuff. I have a few pieces sorta like that.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,380 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    This Grandfather/Father/Son trio hunted with us Friday and Saturday.

    On Thursday evening, two other members of the hunting party hunted with us. They were using a .300 WSM and a .300 Weatherby. It started cold and windy Thursday afternoon. By an hour before dark, it was snowing so hard I couldn’t see 50 yards. That is only the second time I’ve ever hunted Texas in the snow.

    We saw plenty of deer. Just nothing they wanted or could afford.

    Seems that entire family has a preference for fast .30cals.

    They asked my favorite cartridge and I said, while I was a 6.5 and 7mm fan, I’d probably done more with a .308 Win than anything else. They kind of scoffed at that. So, I took them outside the barn and pointed at the 1,600 yard target.

    No takers.

    :-)

    This made me laugh:worthy:, thanks hey.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,600 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    That’s the first time I can recall seeing someone hunting in a pattern perfectly suited for a marijuana patch.

    Seriously though, that’s some cool, old school stuff. I have a few pieces sorta like that.

    I don't think anybody born after about 1940 could successfully pull off 1970's Upholstery Camo - he does it with a vengeance. Brings back pre-polypropylene memories of walking around the woods in layers of bulky, bunchy, largely cotton clothing that wouldn't dry out EVER if you got wet. . .followed by sitting around Grandma's wood stove waiting to get warm/dry enough to go out and do it again.

    If the guy had a stamped-checkering Winchester or Remington, we'd REALLY be time-capsuling! :cool2:
    WWJMBD?

    "Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
«1

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file