Some AR changes and the ATN Ultrasight II

JayJay Senior MemberPosts: 2,823 Senior Member
I was was going to wait to post anything until I finish the rest of the planned upgrades on this AR, but part of that plan hinges around getting a 6x45 barrel from Midway, and who knows when the heck they will get them in stock.

So here's the rundown as it stands right now. I started with this AR. It's the first one I ever put together from the ground up. I built it many years ago.

16" 1:9 twist heavy barrel
4 rail handguard
2 rail gas block
YHM muzzle brake
Rock River lower receiver and RR NM 2 stage trigger
Ergo Grip
The rest is pretty much plain ol' AR parts

The 4 rail handguard is something I regretted since I did it. Live and learn. So one of the first things I did when I started the transformation was remove that handguard and put on a 15" UTG Pro super slim handguard and swapped the ridiculous 2 rail gas block for a clamp-on low profile gas block. With this, I have a continuous top rail and can add rail sections wherever I want.

Then, as I've mentioned previously in other threads, I found a good deal on an ATN Ultrasight II 3-14 day/night vision scope. For $479, I ordered it. I got it in and slapped it on the AR. Now, this AR was not a light gun to start with. This scope weighs just over 2 pounds, not including the external battery pack.

In my next post, I'll go over my impressions on the scope and how it performs. It is an HD digital scope. Quality is pretty good and it is HD, but only on the 3X setting. As you zoom in, image quality gradually gets worse. Here is a pic I took with the scope in front of my house with the scope on 3X. The scope will take digital photos and video. I got a 16 gig mini SD card for it for storing the profiles as well as pics and videos.

Comments

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 2,823 Senior Member
    Initial thoughts on the scope; It's a fun play toy. It could work very well as a hog or coyote gun, day or night.

Here are some of the cool things about it as I see it so far. So far, it seems like the ballistic calculations it does work pretty well. Granted, I have only shot it out to 270 yards so far and that was on steel and not paper. But it works. Like any other device, it relies on good info being put in for it to get good results. I can create up to 6 different profiles on the scope. So I could have several profiles for different loads, or I can create a profile for different guns and swap the scope from gun to gun, which I have not tried yet. Once a particular profile is set and zeroed, there is a few ways you can work distance. First, the scope has a rangfinding function. You essentially need to know the height of your target. Say, 6 feet. Turn on the rangefinder, click above and below the target and hit enter. It uses the angles to calculate distance. I have not tried this function yet. The second way to enter range into the scope is if you know the actual range, you can simply put it in. Such as using a rangefinder or if you are shooting known distance. The scope will adjust your elevation based on the entered distance and the ballistic info entered. The third way to do it is, use an ATN rangefinder capable of Bluetooth. The rangefinder is supposed to communicate with the scope and feed the distance info to it. I also have not tried this. Once I zeroed at 100 yards, which is a simple process, I immediately entered 270 yards into the scope and squeezed the trigger on the steel plate at that distance. First shot hit. Not a very long range, but at least I know the scope is close enough so far. The weight of the gun with this scope combined with the muzzle brake makes it easy to see bullet strikes through the scope and ring the steel repeatedly in a pretty quick fashion. Fun. The scope automatically reads temperature, elevation and barometric pressure. Wind must be manually entered. The scope also calculates the angle of the gun, up and down as well as side to side. It is supposed to use all of this info to adjust your reticle for correct hold.

The night mode works fairly well. The IR illuminator that came with it is a little lacking. It works pretty well out to about 75 yards. Center mass hits on a human size silhouette at 100 yards were pretty easy at night. I'm thinking a Streamlight or similar IR light will be replacing the little one that came with the scope. The biggest problem with the night mode I have is, my brake throws a nice flame upward and outward. After firing a round, it temporarily blinds the scope as it trys to digitally readjust itself after the flash. This makes this thing a single shot in a hunting situation and I would likely not see what happened to the hog or coyote after firing. The only other issue, and it's not a problem with the scope, just something to be aware of; what you see when you look in the eyepiece is a image on a screen. After you stick your eye up there for a bit in the dark, when you move away, you are temporarily kinda blind due to going from bright light to darkness.

One more issue with the scope. When you turn it on, it takes quite a few seconds for it to turn on and be ready to use. It is not a quick deployment optic unless you just leave the scope on, which kills batteries. But, if you're hunting and never know when a shot will come up, you have two options. Leave the scope on all the time, or hope you have enough time to get it turned on. Along with that, since you can't see anything through the scope unless it's on, if your batteries die or if the scope malfunctions and won't work, you don't have a sight. BUIS won't work, unless you are prepared to remove the scope in order to use them. For those reasons, this AR has just become a play gun. It will be rebarreled to 6x45, it will get a stock better suited to ride a bag and it will get a Harris bipod. I will then use this barrel and a bunch of other left over parts in the man cave as well as an Anderson lower I've had sitting for over a year, and I will put together a plain ol' working gun in 223. Some sort of red dot, BUIS, the Surefire light that came off of this gun and a few other odds and ends will take care of that one.
    A few other functions the scope will do that is kinda fun.

You can connect the scope to your phone or Ipad using the ATN Obsidian app. You can use the smart device to enter information for the scope and you can also watch a live view of the sight picture on the phone or ipad. Kinda fun, but the image on the smart device is a little jumpy and lags a little due to the wireless connection.

You can also set it to automatically record when the gun fires. They call it recoil activated video. You set it to save a certain amount of time before the shot and a certain amount of time after and you can save the video clips for a particular shot fired. So, if hog hunting for example, if you set the scope to save 10 seconds before the shot and 10 seconds after, when you shoot a hog, you can save a 20 second video clip of the shot. I will have to play with this a little.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,324 Senior Member
    Sounds like you can have some fun with that scope, and not need 3 months pay to get one.

Like your changes/upgrades, should be a fun set up
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 30,135 Senior Member
    You can hunt moon-bats with that rig :jester:

Congrats on your upgrades. Seems the 6X45 has a lot going for it and all you need is a bbl swap, brass forming is easy and much cheaper too.

Be interesting when you get that bbl installed to see what it can do.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,580 Senior Member
    :up:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Big Chief wrote: »
    You can hunt moon-bats with that rig :jester:

Congrats on your upgrades. Seems the 6X45 has a lot going for it and all you need is a bbl swap, brass forming is easy and much cheaper too.

Be interesting when you get that bbl installed to see what it can do.

I’m anxious to get started with the 6x45. I have pretty much an unlimited supply of 223 brass and I already load for my 243, so I have bullets. Ammo will be easy. I have everything I need on my Midway wish list. So as soon as I get the alert that they are in stock, I’ll be racing to get the barrel and new gas tube ordered. Then I’ll have to figure out what to do about a brake, since AR Stoner decided to go with a **** thread pitch on those barrels... Maybe that’s where the Stoner part comes from. Dude who decided to put 9/16-24 threads on these barrels must have been stoned.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,580 Senior Member
    My AA 6.5 Grendel barrel has the same threads on it.
    It's not as common as the ubiquitous 5/8x24, but they're not the only people using it.

My supplier of suppressor parts even offers 9/16x24 threaded end caps. When I get around to building a 6.5mm can, I'll probably build it with one.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 36,686 Senior Member
    Jay wrote: »
    I’m anxious to get started with the 6x45. I have pretty much an unlimited supply of 223 brass and I already load for my 243, so I have bullets. Ammo will be easy. I have everything I need on my Midway wish list. So as soon as I get the alert that they are in stock, I’ll be racing to get the barrel and new gas tube ordered. Then I’ll have to figure out what to do about a brake, since AR Stoner decided to go with a **** thread pitch on those barrels... Maybe that’s where the Stoner part comes from. Dude who decided to put 9/16-24 threads on these barrels must have been stoned.

Have to agree with the stoned guy making barrel threads. 1/2-28, 5/8-24 covers LOTS of calibers. Until you get bigger than .30 caliber holes down the middle of the barrel, there's NO point in bigger than 5/8. And without doing maths, I'd wager even .35 caliber would be just fine, maybe even bigger. The 9/16 is just the middle bastard child.
    It doesn't affect me much, as I seriously doubt I'll ever buy another brake. (Because metal lathe and milling machine)But, it's annoying as hell when people make non standard items.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    cpj wrote: »
    Have to agree with the stoned guy making barrel threads. 1/2-28, 5/8-24 covers LOTS of calibers. Until you get bigger than .30 caliber holes down the middle of the barrel, there's NO point in bigger than 5/8. And without doing maths, I'd wager even .35 caliber would be just fine, maybe even bigger. The 9/16 is just the middle bastard child.
    It doesn't affect me much, as I seriously doubt I'll ever buy another brake. (Because metal lathe and milling machine)But, it's annoying as hell when people make non standard items.

Exactly. If they just put 1/2-28 threads on the 6x45 barrels, it would be as simple as buying any 223 brake and bore it for the 6mm bullet. And there are a ton of 22 cal 1/2-28 brakes out there to choose from. We’re talking about a difference of .019 in bullet diameter here. The only reason I could possibly think that they don’t thread the 6x45 barrels 1/2” is to keep people from mistakenly installing a 22 caliber muzzle device on those barrels. And a 30 cal brake wouldn’t be very efficient.
    I'd wager that's the reason they made it an odd size. Dumb people wouldn't think about it and screw a .223 brake on the barrel.
    Zee
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,540 Senior Member
    Those first few shots might be exciting....,
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Those first few shots might be exciting....,

Yeah. But it’ll clearance itself... no problem.. :jester:
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 7,792 Senior Member
    Interesting scope. I've been thinking we'd start seeing stuff like that soon. Still seems a bit on the crude side, for now.at least, but wouldn't be too surprised if we continue to see cheaper, lighter, better versions pretty quickly.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
    Interesting scope. I've been thinking we'd start seeing stuff like that soon. Still seems a bit on the crude side, for now.at least, but wouldn't be too surprised if we continue to see cheaper, lighter, better versions pretty quickly.

These scopes have been out for a few years now. Bullsi has a first gen model and I’m pretty sure the third gens will be out before long. I considered waiting a while to see what they do on the third gens, as there is a few things they could tweak to make these things better. Main one being, the loss of resolution through the zoom range. But, the gen 3s will likely be pretty expensive for a while when they first come out. Just as the gen 1 and gen 2 were. For under $500, while not inexpensive, so far I’m happy with it. I’m positive I haven’t scratched the surface of what I can do with it. And I might just find a good deal on one of their 1500 Bluetooth enabled rangefinders, just for fun...
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    If you're shooting long distance from a hide, you'll likely have plenty of time to turn it on.

Expensive toy, but it looks like you have places close by to play.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 5,878 Senior Member
    This is a kind of crappy brake but it shares the same OD threads as the Kineti-Tech muzzle brakes.

Plus it is available in 9/16-24 thread. Cheap too. The next best option is the 9/16-24 to 5/8-24 bushing that Brownells sells for $23.

https://rouschsports.com/shop/ar15-upper-parts/muzzle-devices-muzzle-brake-flash-hider-concussion-device/frh-1b-flash-redirecting-multipurpose-flash-hider-external-thread-adapter-34-16/
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    This is a kind of crappy brake but it shares the same OD threads as the Kineti-Tech muzzle brakes.

Plus it is available in 9/16-24 thread. Cheap too. The next best option is the 9/16-24 to 5/8-24 bushing that Brownells sells for $23.

https://rouschsports.com/shop/ar15-upper-parts/muzzle-devices-muzzle-brake-flash-hider-concussion-device/frh-1b-flash-redirecting-multipurpose-flash-hider-external-thread-adapter-34-16/

That looks more like a flash hider than a brake. I’d consider one of the kinetitech brakes, as I have one on my Axis. But, they are UGLY and I get a good several inches of poi shift with and without the blast director on it. Fine for the Axis. Maybe not so much on this AR. I have considered doing one of those adapters, though.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 18,963 Senior Member
    Looks like the rifle will work.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Update- Today, I ordered a ATN 1500 meter Bluetooth capable rangefinder. It was $279. The idea is, the scope and rangefinder pair, click the button on the rangefinder to range the target, scope receives the distance and makes elevation change automatically. We shall see how it works when it gets in. Also, their rangefinder is supposed to connect to phones or other smart devices. Using a ballistics app, when you range a target, the app tells you how many clicks to adjust for elevation. Again, we’ll see how it works when I get it and play with it some.

Maybe a bit of an expensive setup for what is essentially a fun gun. $479 for the scope and $279 for the rangefinder = $758. But, I needed a new rangefinder anyway. And I have day and night capability.

My son hit a small 1/4 pound tannerite container at 190 yards the other day using this gun and scope with distance entered manually. Seems to work.
    To finish up the update on this AR, it will get a new stock and a Harris swiveling bipod. That’s pretty much it until Midway gets the 6x45 barrels in stock.
    Update - The rangefinder came in yesterday. Since it was almost dark out when I got home, I wasn't able to do much with it. I ranged a building from my front porch and got an instant 860 yard reading every time I ranged it. That's about the extent of the testing so far.

Also, I'm kinda bummed about a message I got from Midway USA today. They have discontinued the AR Stoner 6x45 barrels. So that project will be put on the back burner for a good while, since the only other options I know of are $400 barrels and I'm not going to spend that right now. So, maybe I'll start shopping around for a new, longer heavy barrel in 223.
    That's good news bad news. Bad because there isn't a cheap option for the 6x45. Good because now I'm certainly not going to drop that much cash on one.
    Zee
    cpj wrote: »
    That's good news bad news. Bad because there isn't a cheap option for the 6x45. Good because now I'm certainly not going to drop that much cash on one.

Yup. At just over $200 for the barrel from Midway, I was just going to do a barrel swap and repurpose the current barrel to build a HD gun using mostly parts and pieces I have sitting around. An upper receiver, BCG and lower build kit and I'd pretty much have a complete gun. But I ain't spending $400 to do a barrel swap. I'll find a longer heavy barrel in 223 to put on the Ultrasight gun, still spend $200 and continue with the plan from there.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file