Flintlock seasons opens tommorow

VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior MemberPosts: 6,254 Senior Member
I am trying to talk myself into a morning hunt, but its 19 right now and windy as heck. At the beginning of hunting hours (1/2 hr pre sunup) it is supposed to be a balmy 11 (just about -12C) before the wind.

We will see.
It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Those temps begin to hurt as the years accumulate.

But if afternoon temps softened the snow, the refreeze will permit hearing the deer approach.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,254 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    Those temps begin to hurt as the years accumulate.

But if afternoon temps softened the snow, the refreeze will permit hearing the deer approach.
    We got up to 22 today and only have a dusting. Still, a coating makes it eaiser to see them.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,099 Senior Member
    "We will see"?

I'm thinking the only thing I'd be seeing would be the back of my eyelids. 11 degrees will freeze the testicles of a tin and copper primate.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,866 Senior Member
    I am trying to talk myself into a morning hunt, but its 19 right now and windy as heck. At the beginning of hunting hours (1/2 hr pre sunup) it is supposed to be a balmy 11 (just about -12C) before the wind.

We will see.

We don't have a specific Flintlock season, just Muzzle Loading and I'm just about ready. It will begin the day after regular rifle season.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,866 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    "We will see"?

I'm thinking the only thing I'd be seeing would be the back of my eyelids. 11 degrees will freeze the testicles of a tin and copper primate.

OK I confess, I'm a Wimp Hunter. Anything much cooler than 50 Degree is about my limit.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,078 Senior Member
    Nut up and go. How many opening days do you get a year?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,827 Senior Member
    "We will see"?

Yep, as my dad used to say when the weather was too severe for him to want to hunt, "I ain't that mad at them"
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,617 Senior Member
    "We will see"?

It's muzzle loading season Chris. You keep your balls warm with greased patches.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Did 2 hrs, that was enough, IAW the news, wind chill is -1 (-18C) It was OK until the wind picked up again. When I brought the rifle in the entire thing frosted.
    I'll go out this afternoon.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,752 Senior Member
    We’re seeing brutal cold like that here. High of 8 degrees and a low of -3 before wind chill. When it gets that cold, I’ll do what you did: hit the woods for about 2 hours during peak or known movement times. Good on you for getting out with your flinter. I wish I could be back in PA this year!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Supposed to be lows in the teens, highs in the 20s next weekend. I suppose I'll brave it to say that I did. Of course having a nice warm house 300 yards from my stand will be nice. Hell, I may drag my pop up blind out there with my single burner propane cooker....
    Zee
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,072 Senior Member
    I LOVE hunting in the cold.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee wrote: »

Yes but you're used to hunting in shorts and barefoot. Possibly even a loincloth.
    Zee
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,827 Senior Member
    I've always heard carneys weren't that bright :tooth:
    :rotflmao:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,072 Senior Member
    Yes but you're used to hunting in shorts and barefoot. Possibly even a loincloth.

Does a Kilt count?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,473 Senior Member
    Does a Kilt count?

Depends if wearing it as a real kilt is worn, or wearing a skirt
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Depends if wearing it as a real kilt is worn, or wearing a skirt

Kilt, skirt, same same.
    Zee

So do I. However as the years pass, "cold" becomes warmer. When it gets to the point where it isnt fun, screw it.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,688 Senior Member
    Kilt, skirt, same same.

Yep! :up:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
    So do I. However as the years pass, "cold" becomes warmer. When it gets to the point where it isnt fun, screw it.

I'd be more ok with the cold IF we had snow. Hunting in the cold without snow is das freezin der deekoff. No benefit, other than the meat not spoiling. On the flip side you'd have to worry about it freezing solid. I'd love to be able to have snow to track a deer. And it would make for following a blood trail FAR easier.
    I think the only gun season opener we've had where there was "snow" on the ground was 25 years ago. The Friday night before there was a batch of tornados that went through after a 75 degree day, then a few hours after the storms it was 20 and freezing rain/sleet/snow.
    Zee
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,473 Senior Member
    Kilt, skirt, same same.

If a kilt is not worn regimental, it is a skirt
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,366 Senior Member
    Cold and snow I dog them
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,360 Senior Member

:that::agree:

You can always put more layers on to combat the cold.............but there is a limit to how many layers you can take off when hunting in the heat.......If you dont believe me, just ask Buffy to post up pics of him hunting in Florida.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    orchidman wrote: »
    :that::agree:

You can always put more layers on to combat the cold.............but there is a limit to how many layers you can take off when hunting in the heat.......If you dont believe me, just ask Buffy to post up pics of him hunting in Florida.
    That's easy. Don't hunt in heat.
    Zee
    It was almost 6 this morning when I got up. I had a good nap afterward.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,360 Senior Member
    That's easy. Don't hunt in heat.

Says the guy who has to hunt in the cold because of regulations.....................:tooth:
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    I'd be curious as to what effect if any extreme cold has on a rifle, especially a muzzle loader. If one uses grease for patch lube, it's certainly gonna be thicker at 5 degrees than it would be at 75. Would it matter? Matter enough? Beats me. Thankfully I don't live where it's cold enough often enough to test that theory. :tooth:
    Zee
    The difference is that at extreme cold temps, the muzzleloader stays warm. Its the highest its been all week at 17 today. I am having a extreme case of "f it" this year. If it holds here and the wind doesnt pick up, I am going out this afternoon.
    Heat wave, 19F. Went out and saw a young doe and 3 little ones. Not that hungry so they walked. A nice older doe or a buck I will take, but it takes as much effort to clean a little one as it does a big one. We shall see what tomorrow brings.
  • gunwalkergunwalker Member Posts: 452 Member
    Did 2 hrs, that was enough, IAW the news, wind chill is -1 (-18C) It was OK until the wind picked up again. When I brought the rifle in the entire thing frosted.
    I'll go out this afternoon.

if you know that you are going out again, can you safely leave the rifle outside?
    We do not view the world as it is, but as we perceive it to be.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file