Novx 9mm luger +p arx®

2

Comments

  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 30,038 Senior Member
    Ain't no such thing as a 'Magic Bullet', some work better than others IF the conditions are right and it hits the right place on target, other times you may be left with just an expensive caliber sized hole.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 1,060 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Ain't no such thing as a 'Magic Bullet', some work better than others IF the conditions are right and it hits the right place on target, other times you may be left with just an expensive caliber sized hole.

    That's right Chief. At least not until they start packing the nose with PETN and RDX Comp. A-4. You know, Raufoss for Home Defense.
    :jester:
    "Facts are stubborn things and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of the facts and evidence" — John Adams
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 507 Senior Member
    At some point I will buy a box or two and test it out on watermelons. It will not be at typical self defense range though, the only range at my club where I can shoot anything other than paper targets only has 25 yard and 50 yard options. I guess if it performs well at those distances (who am I kidding, I will never hit a watermelon at 50 yards with a Shield :rotflmao:) then I should be impressed.
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 5,621 Senior Member
    Dad gave me 20 of those 65 grain Inceptor ARX bullets to try. I loaded them with 4.7 grains of TiteGroup and fired them out of an M&P Compact. All I can say is they all chambered and fired fine. As accurate as anything I have shot. Shooting a 6" round steel at 21 yards, put 8 out of ten rounds on that steel. That's pretty darn good for me.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,524 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    I don't see the need to carry spare magazines. Unless one intends to prolong a fire fight, the mag in the pistol should do the trick. The stats don't bear up the need for reloading in actual situations.

    The "stats" don't take into consideration that the single most common point of failure in a semi-auto firearm is the magazine....I have a spare tire in the truck too....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,056 Senior Member
    Dad gave me 20 of those 65 grain Inceptor ARX bullets to try. I loaded them with 4.7 grains of TiteGroup and fired them out of an M&P Compact. All I can say is they all chambered and fired fine. As accurate as anything I have shot. Shooting a 6" round steel at 21 yards, put 8 out of ten rounds on that steel. That's pretty darn good for me.

    Accurate doesn’t mean effective.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I speculate that the bullet remaining solid after impact is good. Be good to know how much of a barrier in can pass through and retain it's unfired mass. The reason being that it's lighter than normal weight as compared to lead/guilding composition bullets makes it potentially suspect in my thinking.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 36,647 Senior Member
    10canyon53 wrote: »
    At some point I will buy a box or two and test it out on watermelons. It will not be at typical self defense range though, the only range at my club where I can shoot anything other than paper targets only has 25 yard and 50 yard options. I guess if it performs well at those distances (who am I kidding, I will never hit a watermelon at 50 yards with a Shield :rotflmao:) then I should be impressed.
    Shooting a watermelon will prove you can explode a watermelon. Without catching a bullet in a media (paper, gel, meat) there is zero reliable data that can be obtained. Anything witnessed is purely subjective and means nothing. Other than....you can kill a watermelon. Which is fun, but best done with high velocity rifle rounds. Makes a heck of a messs.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 5,621 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Accurate doesn’t mean effective.

    No, it does not. As I said, all I can say is...
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 507 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Shooting a watermelon will prove you can explode a watermelon. Without catching a bullet in a media (paper, gel, meat) there is zero reliable data that can be obtained. Anything witnessed is purely subjective and means nothing. Other than....you can kill a watermelon. Which is fun, but best done with high velocity rifle rounds. Makes a heck of a messs.

    I wouldn't say zero data. These rounds, like hollow points, are designed to do damage to tissue which is made up of a high percentage of water. No, a watermelon does not have the same percentage of water as a human body, but it would provide more useful data than just shooting paper targets. I am quite familiar with what happens when watermelons are shot. Whenever I find them cheap I stock up and the family goes to the range. We shoot them with 12 gauge slugs, .223 hollow point rounds and .22 hollow points. A 1 oz. segmenting slug traveling at 1600 fps out of a 12 gauge will turn the watermelon into pink mist. A .223 hollow point will blow a huge crater in the back of the watermelon as an exit wound. The .22 hollow point will make about a quarter size hole. According to the published data, the 65 gr. Novx projectile travels at nearly twice the velocity of the 147 gr. Golden Saber JHP's I currently use. Any test I do on watermelons with the Novx rounds for "science" will have to include some Golden Sabers as a baseline. I found this video interesting:
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 36,647 Senior Member
    So how do you quantify results between different rounds shot into watermelons?
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • TugarTugar Senior Member Posts: 1,602 Senior Member
    10canyon53 wrote: »
    I know this is still new, but does anybody have experience with this? One of the main things that interests me is the reduced weight. My wife complains about how heavy her purse is with her Shield and two spare magazines. Anything I can do to remove an excuse for her to not carry.......

    http://www.novxammo.com/cartridges/#product1


    I bet cleaning her purse would make more of a weight savings. My wife just came in with a pound of spare change. Or moving the pistol to the body and the mags only in the purse.
    Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.
    Winston Churchill
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,588 Senior Member
    I saw an add for this new stuff, it does not hold together like a hardcast like the original ARX did.
    My new Signature
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 18,961 Senior Member
    Until live things get made dead and the terminal performance from soft tissue is collected, it’s defensive viability speculation.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 36,647 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Until live things get made dead and the terminal performance from soft tissue is collected, it’s defensive viability speculation.

    If we only a knew a guy who could trap pigs.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 18,961 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    If we only a knew a guy who could trap pigs.

    Dude, I’ve been trying for a week. All I’ve caught was a huge 8 point buck I had to let out.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 507 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    So how do you quantify results between different rounds shot into watermelons?

    What I would do is compare the damage to the inside of the watermelon compared to the Golden Sabre 147 gr. JHP rounds, which I have seen ballistics gel test results for and compared to standard copper jacketed target ammo. Admittedly a long way from perfect, but the best I can do without some pigs to shoot. Sad thing is, there are feral hogs tearing up the gun range, but we are not allowed to shoot them. :roll:

    No pressure Zee, but you are our best hope for some "scientific" testing. :roll2: It will be a few months before watermelons come back in season here in Florida, so you have some time.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 507 Senior Member
    Tugar wrote: »
    I bet cleaning her purse would make more of a weight savings. My wife just came in with a pound of spare change. Or moving the pistol to the body and the mags only in the purse.

    Both suggestions are non-starters. The effects of cleaning out her purse would last less than 24 hrs.......by then she would have it loaded again.

    At first I was dead-set against her carrying off-body in a purse, but it has proven very difficult for her to find an on-body option that works for her. She has a tendency to try to wear smaller size clothes than she should, thinking it makes her look slimmer. I finally gave up and bought her a concealed carry purse when I realized that she would carry much more consistently with that. The problem is, the purse is brown. Doesn't work for every outfit. She tried to switch to a black non concealed carry purse when brown would not match her outfit, but I raised such a fuss that now she will put the brown purse in a black bag when she feels brown will not do. Makes it harder to access her gun in an emergency, but still better than not carrying. I guess I need to start shopping for a black concealed carry purse......
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,056 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Until live things get made dead and the terminal performance from soft tissue is collected, it’s defensive viability speculation.

    This.

    It need to be tested with scientific methods under laboratory conditions firstly (which I doubt the manufacturer has--or at best, minimally) then needs some years of field testing from autopsy / radiology and imaging reports. New-fangled ammo makers seem to forget most well-vetted SD / duty bullets have been in service for several years at a minimum.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,056 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Dude, I’ve been trying for a week. All I’ve caught was a huge 8 point buck I had to let out.

    Yea, let out.... of the freezer.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 18,961 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Yea, let out.... of the freezer.

    Unfortunately no. Can’t trap deer without a permit and can’t shoot them in the trap. So......cue the music to “Born Free”!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 18,961 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    This.

    It need to be tested with scientific methods under laboratory conditions firstly (which I doubt the manufacturer has--or at best, minimally) then needs some years of field testing from autopsy / radiology and imaging reports. New-fangled ammo makers seem to forget most well-vetted SD / duty bullets have been in service for several years at a minimum.

    But......it’s new!!! And........they used big words!! And........the sound barrier in liquid and all!!

    Gucci.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,056 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    But......it’s new!!! And........they used big words!! And........the sound barrier in liquid and all!!

    Gucci.

    Amazing right? People claim it has a supersonic temporary wound cavity...in a liquid. Which has supersonic properties many, many, many times fast than air. Which means the shock-wave in liquid is *gasp* SUB-sonic in that liquid. Nevermind its actually caused by the exponential effect of an in-compressible fluid reacting to the velocity of the bullet, irrespective of its sonic properties.

    Hence why FMJ produces similar wound paths in test medium as HP bullets do. HP bullets just blunt under hydraulic pressure and make larger holes at lower terminal velocities...which is their mission.

    There's snake oil everywhere...
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 18,961 Senior Member
    While everyone else (name brand) uses the same standards as the FBI to test their defensive ammo and release the results, this company decided to make videos using clay, water, and ice. None of which have the same characteristics as soft tissue, bone, and organs, that I am aware of.

    http://www.novxammo.com/videos/
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 36,647 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    While everyone else (name brand) uses the same standards as the FBI to test their defensive ammo and release the results, this company decided to make videos using clay, water, and ice. None of which have the same characteristics as soft tissue, bone, and organs, that I am aware of.

    http://www.novxammo.com/videos/

    Yeah, well, the other companies don't have an NRA stooge in a suit doing an interview.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 18,961 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Yeah, well, the other companies don't have an NRA stooge in a suit doing an interview.

    I’m sure they’ve all paid for that “privilege” at some time or another.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 1,060 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    While everyone else (name brand) uses the same standards as the FBI to test their defensive ammo and release the results, this company decided to make videos using clay, water, and ice. None of which have the same characteristics as soft tissue, bone, and organs, that I am aware of.

    http://www.novxammo.com/videos/

    Biggest splash wins!

    I guess I could see these as an Air Marshal or apartment round. You know, where the thought of over-penetration and the legal consequences would make something like this much more agreeable.

    Like I said before it beats a pointy stick but if 10canyon53's better half is already carrying then just stick with what you already have. Those loads probably work just fine.

    Work on changing her outlook before you go changing her ammo.

    jmho
    "Facts are stubborn things and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of the facts and evidence" — John Adams
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,588 Senior Member
    Looks like block Ice wood bee fun 2 shoot
    My new Signature
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 507 Senior Member
    I still say we need to shoot some pigs for fun......oops, I mean "science"......and maybe sausage.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 18,961 Senior Member
    10canyon53 wrote: »
    I still say we need to shoot some pigs for fun......oops, I mean "science"......and maybe sausage.

    Take a number and get in line. Unless you got a line on piggies, I got the 9mm 124gr GD and the .45 ACP 200gr Classic up first.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
2

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file