Sessions to go after legal pot

Comments

• alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 7,792 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    We recently had a primarily Democratic administration for eight years that didn't legalize pot and now a Republican administration that doesn't legalize pot is going to lose favor with the public? I think that you over rate the importance of pot to the average American. It might be important in your circles but I'm pretty sure that the general public thinks that there are more important things to worry about.
    They didn't legalize (which I think was a mistake) but they at least chose not to interfere with states that did legalize. The first state didn't legalize until '14. Since then 8 total states plus DC have. 4 of those states are at least purple (AK, CO, NV, and ME), and one is bright red (AK). Public opinion has shifted rapidly since CO legalized it. So yes, politicians who don't recognize the shifting tides will get swept away. You're also going to see a bunch of senators and congressmen, including a number of Republicans defending their home states.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,360 Senior Member
    They didn't legalize (which I think was a mistake) but they at least chose not to interfere with states that did legalize.

Selective enforcement again. Same crap that has brought us Sanctuary Cities - that even THIS administration won't do what's necessary about...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
    Michakav wrote: »
    I completely agree. I don't want my money going towards the prohibition of drugs, nor do I want my money going towards bailing some drug fiend out of trouble.

:agree::that:

I don't like drugs, I don't do drugs - I don't even like Alcohol.

BUT

Prohibition has been proven time and time again to not work, so let the lotus eaters have their drugs of choice, and minimize their damage to the rest of us.

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
    horselips wrote: »
    Sometimes the best way to motivate the reform a law is to enforce it to the letter. The unintended consequences are often a powerful inducement.
    Fair point. Collins (ME), Murkowski (AK), Sillivan (AK), and Gardner (CO) would be enough to side with Dems and pass a law delegating all authority on pot laws to the states. If Sessions does make any major moves against legal pot producers he is playing with fire and it won't just burn him, it will burn Trump and the entire party. If it doesn't lead to passing a law decriminalizing it or reclassifying it, it will help ensure the next Congress is closer to the makeup that would lead to decriminalization.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
    Fair point. Collins (ME), Murkowski (AK), Sillivan (AK), and Gardner (CO) would be enough to side with Dems and pass a law delegating all authority on pot laws to the states. If Sessions does make any major moves against legal pot producers he is playing with fire and it won't just burn him, it will burn Trump and the entire party. If it doesn't lead to passing a law decriminalizing it or reclassifying it, it will help ensure the next Congress is closer to the makeup that would lead to decriminalization.

I'm afraid this may very well be the case - the Republicans continue their so-called "Morality play" (which is why I hate the word and prefer "ethics"), just as they have with abortion, and they've lost countless elections over THAT subject. They need to BUTT OUT of people's personal choices. Otherwise, we may very well end up with more Liberalism which we certainly do not need.

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,059 Senior Member
    And how has criminalization helped to stop people who want to use it from using it? Legalization has put gangs and drug dealers out of business and created a multi billion dollar legal industry that's now generating billions in tax revenues for states and feds (people working in the industry have to pay federal taxes unlike illegal drug dealers) rather than costing billions in enforcement.
    Michakav wrote: »
    Exactly! The whole WOD is asinine. Billions are spent between enforcement and incarceration with little to no effect whatsoever.
    horselips wrote: »
    Sometimes the best way to motivate the reform a law is to enforce it to the letter. The unintended consequences are often a powerful inducement.

I agree one 100% on all of the above. BUT this is not the issue. I refuse to chastise a sitting AG for enforcing laws, regulation, whatever that is currently in the books!!! That is just STUPID!!! It is HIS JOB and one of the reasons I despised the previous administration for selective enforcement of laws... if you want change FOLLOW THE RULES!!!!!

Fisheadgib wrote: »
    We recently had a primarily Democratic administration for eight years that didn't legalize pot and now a Republican administration that doesn't legalize pot is going to lose favor with the public? I think that you over rate the importance of pot to the average American. It might be important in your circles but I'm pretty sure that the general public thinks that there are more important things to worry about.

Bingo!!!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 3,971 Senior Member
    I don't care on way or the other. Colorado legalized recreational marijuana, and as far as crazies walking the streets, I can't tell a difference.

Crazies walking the streets are a whole different matter. Pot ain't what's doing it to them.

We shut down asylums, and folks that everyone knows are bat- crazy shoot 4 LEO's , and pot's a problem?

Crazy walks the streets nowadays. But they have rights, so if I knock him on his ass, I'm probably gonna be the one arrested.

I've never had to knock a stoner in his ass.

We have bigger things to worry about than pot.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 17,918 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »
    I've never had to knock a stoner in his ass.

You won't have to- - - - -with any luck at all the wasted fool will stagger out in front of a bus, and the bus will do it for you.

Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,217 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    They can use all they want- - - - -I'd even support providing unlimited, subsidized supplies of the drug of choice to addicts. Just make them sign a waiver that prohibits emergency room care for the consequences of their stupidity. Ditto for publicly financed resuscitation of drug OD's, etc. The problem should solve itself pretty quickly by the hardcore abusers dying. The fools who drive buzzed and/or do other things that kill or injure others need to receive a mandatory 10 year prison sentence for a first offense. Alcohol-induced injuries or homicides should carry the same penalty.
    Jerry

You're close.

VM's 300 dollar drug users card. Register yourself and buy and use any and all you want. No resuscitation, no ambulance, no narcan, no rehab. Just ing die, I can step over you. The 300 is to fund the BFI or Waste Management truck to dump your nasty corpse in the landfill.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,584 Senior Member
    You're close.

VM's 300 dollar drug users card. Register yourself and buy and use any and all you want. No resuscitation, no ambulance, no narcan, no rehab. Just ing die, I can step over you. The 300 is to fund the BFI or Waste Management truck to dump your nasty corpse in the landfill.
    :win:

The "Opiod crisis" is a self correcting problem. Save the naloxone (Narcan) and let the idiots kill themselves.

Last OD I ran, the patient's own MOTHER was screaming at us, "Just let her die, she'll just do it again otherwise"
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 2,630 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »

Last OD I ran, the patient's own MOTHER was screaming at us, "Just let her die, she'll just do it again otherwise"

That's sad.
    That's sad.
    Yep. when your own mother wants you to die, says a LOT about the type person you are
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,326 Senior Member
    I believe you are vastly out of touch how the federal government actually works. Congress did pass a law, but not specifically to outlaw pot or any other drug. It created a giant bureaucracy and handed over authority over regulating and enforcing laws to the DEA and FDA. Those agencies then use the statutory authority given to them by congress to make up the rules within the bounds of the law Congress passed. Congress never said "pot is illegal" they just gave the DEA the authority to decided that pot was bad for people and therefore is now illegal. The entire war on drugs is in the hands of an un-elected bureaucracy who's existence and reason for being relies on there being a war on drugs for them to fight. Shocking they won't willingly give up the fight therefore invalidating their entire reason for existing in the first place (and their cushy government jobs along with it).

You know I was ready to agree with you and say something like well said, but you had to type that last sentence. There is plenty of real work that those people in cushy government jobs to do. With pot off the table there is still things like cocaine, heroin, illegal/counterfeit pills to deal with. They get injured, maimed and killed often because their job is so cushy.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 wrote: »
    You know I was ready to agree with you and say something like well said, but you had to type that last sentence. There is plenty of real work that those people in cushy government jobs to do. With pot off the table there is still things like cocaine, heroin, illegal/counterfeit pills to deal with. They get injured, maimed and killed often because their job is so cushy.
    Exactly...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 1,969 Senior Member
    10canyon53 wrote: »
    :applause:

As long as a federal law is on the books the AG is legally obligated to enforce it, whether he, or the general public agrees with that law or not. If the general public disagrees with a law, the proper procedure is to take it up with Congress, which is the only government entity with the legal power to change laws (although too many federal judges think they have that right also).

What he said. I want the current AG to just do his job and not do his master's bidding, like Obama's AG picks did. I want him to investigate Over-the-Hillary and the ex-Ms. Wiener and end Sanctuary cities & States. Pot? Jimmy crack Corn.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 4,961 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    You know I was ready to agree with you and say something like well said, but you had to type that last sentence. There is plenty of real work that those people in cushy government jobs to do. With pot off the table there is still things like cocaine, heroin, illegal/counterfeit pills to deal with.

If I recall correctly, Alpha makes his living at a "cushy government job" or a contractor to the government so his references to overpaid people that do little are again based on his personal circle. The fact that there is a population outside of a cubicle in DC evades him at times.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,553 Senior Member
    ...or maybe Alpha's "cushy government job" statement is a tongue-in-cheek post based on some statements of similar ilk posters here have made?

Regarding those who do the real work, and who run the risk of getting injured, maimed, or killed - there will be jobs for them. Plenty, I'm sure. Good LEOs usually can find a job.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 6,298 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    :win:

The "Opiod crisis" is a self correcting problem. Save the naloxone (Narcan) and let the idiots kill themselves.

I'm sure that poor woman was at her wits end with the never-ending problems and anguish the daughter caused her.
    Political correctness is a liberal degrading of the freedom of speech. George Orwell's 1984 famously incorporated the notion of limiting thought through language (see Newspeak)." Meanwhile, the beatings will continue until morale improves around here.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 17,918 Senior Member
    That's an easy problem to solve. Next time, just wait a few hours before dialing 911.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    ...or maybe Alpha's "cushy government job" statement is a tongue-in-cheek post based on some statements of similar ilk posters here have made?

Regarding those who do the real work, and who run the risk of getting injured, maimed, or killed - there will be jobs for them. Plenty, I'm sure. Good LEOs usually can find a job.
    Dang it, why do you have to go giving away my secrets. I had 3 people on here defending federal employees!
    -DoctorWho
    2. I think one of them indicated he works for the Feds, so he's just defending his own job...

(BTW, that's sarcastic humor for those who don't pick up on it.)
    Overkill is underrated.
    Dang it, why do you have to go giving away my secrets. I had 3 people on here defending federal employees!

SOME Federal Employees. MANY are not worth the coffee they drink in the morning...
    Hmmm.... Seems some lawmakers are unhappy with the AG's decision.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/new-pot-policy-by-trump-administration-draws-bipartisan-fire/ar-BBHTHVy?li=BBnb7Kz

Too bad they're stuck with it, I guess.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 21,503 Senior Member
    Regarding legalization of marijuana AT THE FEDERAL LEVEL BY CONGRESSIONAL PASSAGE OF LAW AND PRESIDENT'S SIGNATURE, I don't give a rat's crusty butt. There are probably more than enough House and Senate votes to get that passed in a somewhat bipartisan manner. Stoners are only an annoyance if one is forced to deal with them. Otherwise, they can be pretty entertaining. Opioids, methamphetamines, and designer drugs are a much more urgent problem, and the solution was provided by Vlad Tepes back in 1462. It would at least make the suppliers and dealers maybe rethink their means of sustenance.

As to the massive quantities of overdoses of the hard drugs, just make them comfortable. If they live, they live. If they don't, well, they should have made better choices.
    A double action revolver is a semiauto firearm. It fires once for every trigger pull.

tennmike wrote: »
    ...and the solution was provided by Vlad Tepes back in 1462.

Pretty much, huh?

tennmike wrote: »

As to the massive quantities of overdoses of the hard drugs, just make them comfortable. If they live, they live. If they don't, well, they should have made better choices.
    The self correction I was speaking of.

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 13,760 Senior Member
    Hmmm.... Seems some lawmakers are unhappy with the AG's decision.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/new-pot-policy-by-trump-administration-draws-bipartisan-fire/ar-BBHTHVy?li=BBnb7Kz

Too bad they're stuck with it, I guess.
    I am sure they could legislate something if they wanted to. The new junior senator from Alabama would probably give them a hand with the vote.
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,021 Senior Member
    Personally, I see absolutely no problem with weed. I consider it to WAY more benign than alcohol. I enjoyed it for many years. It was the best medication for my anxiety and sleeplessness. I have not been able to partake in quite a few years due to job restrictions, but I would if I could.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 13,760 Senior Member
    I don't see an issue with it either. Like anything, it can be abused. I have seen it legitimately help quite a few people medicinally though. Recreationally? To each their own. I am extremely guilty of imbibing alcohol from time to time and see it harmless as long as I am not falling all over the place, beating my wife and kids, driving, or otherwise engaging in anti-social behavior. If someone chooses to do that with weed, I got no problem with it.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    NPR reported that the AG plans on leaving medical pot alone.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file