Remington m600/660/mohawk 6mm value?

2»

Comments

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,002 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »
    Actually, that sounds pretty nice. The only 7mm Rem Mag I've shot was Jerry's....offhand, at a tree a hundred yards away. I didn't get scope-bit, but I lost my cap. A little less barrel length would cut down on the inertia I thought.

You can tailor a load for anything. Even a 6 or 7 mm.

Mike

Aren't you glad it has a muzzle brake?
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 1,969 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    Please explain this. Isn't a 6mm basically the same as a .243, in a hunting round? I understand that the extra velocity a long barrel can give you is helpful for long range shooting, but as a hunting rifle, it likely will not be used much past 300 yards, so why not a carbine in 6mm/.243?

What he said.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,669 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    I just want something a young, small shooter can handle and will still put down a Texas whitetail.

My personal opinion is that the noise and pressure waves are what makes it scary for some kids. If they are protected from that, the recoil is nothing to them, from a .243. A .223 has the noise issues, just the same as a .243 for the most part, so why not just go the .243/6mm route and let them shoot it until they are desensitized to all of that? It's really no worse than a .410 shotgun (or even a 20 gauge with light loads), so that is a good, cheaper way to get them desenstized.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 3,971 Senior Member
    Aren't you glad it has a muzzle brake?

Yes, I'm very glad it had a muzzle brake. It was a bit sharper in the recoil department than I expected. I've always thought there was something magical about 7mm bullets in that chambering, and still do. But, my .270 launches 160 grain Partitions at 2850. I'm enough of a wimp that I'll stick with that. Heck, I'll even shoot it twice if I have to.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter

I just want something a young, small shooter can handle and will still put down a Texas whitetail.

H4350 for any bullet weight from 75 grains to 100. You can load up or down. Loaded down the 6mm Rem is a powder puff for recoil, but it can be loaded to screaming LR velocity if needed.

I've done a lot of work with the 6mm Rem, and H4350 is where it's at for 75 grain plus bullet weights. Hi to low.

Mike
    KSU Firefighter
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,337 Senior Member
    Family gun, he's trying to keep in the family but actually see some use, as his brother doesn't hunt.

Not asking which cartridge we think he needs to buy guys.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    Family gun, he's trying to keep in the family but actually see some use, as his brother doesn't hunt.

???

I don't think anyone went there.

You might want to reread the whole thread.

Mike
    KSU Firefighter
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 36,686 Senior Member

Well, he did ask Bisley about a 7-08 so...
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    cpj wrote: »
    Well, he did ask Bisley about a 7-08 so...

6mm Rem smokes a 7-08.

So....there.

Mike
    KSU Firefighter
2»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file