300 BO Pistol Build

terminator012terminator012 Senior MemberPosts: 2,764 Senior Member
This will be my first attempt at building an AR. Won't be a complete build because I have ordered an upper.

Parts so far.

Lower receiver:

Stripped Ruger

Upper: PSA 8.5

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-8-5-pistol-length-300aac-blackout-1-7-stainless-steel-7-lightweight-m-lok-upper-w-o-bcg-or-ch-516446449.html

Need some recommendations for a lower parts kit, BCG, charging handle etc.

Not looking for the cheapest stuff but I don't want to break the bank either. I have been thinking about putting a pistol brace on it. Did some searching on the forum and found an older pistol build thread (.223/556). Several folks were giving this brace some good reviews. Are the ones using it still liking it.

https://www.kakindustry.com/shockwave/shockwave-package-black

Open to all suggestion and recommendations. Been wanting try to this for sometime just finally decided to get the stuff together.

Replies

• JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,058 Senior Member
    Lower parts kits from CMMG are nice. Also if you have another trigger in mind Brownells sells kits minus grip and trigger group.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,643 Senior Member
    I just put the shock wave on my old Carbon 15 pistol and really like it. Solid for what it is.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,094 Senior Member
    I like this brace. It's comfortable. Against your arm. You know, since it's a brace. And not a stock.
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/sb-tactical-sob-pistol-stabilizing-brace-sbt-logo.html

Send me your phone number in a instant message. I think I still have it, but....
    I'll send a pic of mine.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    https://www.rainierarms.com/gear-head-works-tailhook-mod-2-black/

This one is crazy expensive, but is push-button adjustable. And isn’t a “stock”. And makes the NFA useless.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 2,764 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Lower parts kits from CMMG are nice. Also if you have another trigger in mind Brownells sells kits minus grip and trigger group.

I have that kit in a cart or two. Is the trigger with it ok?
    cpj wrote: »
    I like this brace. It's comfortable. Against your arm. You know, since it's a brace. And not a stock.
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/sb-tactical-sob-pistol-stabilizing-brace-sbt-logo.html

Temporarily out of stock. Looks good though.

It’s a mil spec trigger. 5.5 - 8.5 pounds. It’s safe and reliable.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member
    Joe Bob's Outfitters has hiperfire triggers on sale. I have not used their cheaper triggers but people I know who have like them a lot. I have a 24C and a 24 3G and love them. Check AIM Surplus for your BCG unless you are looking for 40 dollar Palmetto one.

What made you buy a Ruger lower?
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    Joe Bob's Outfitters has hiperfire triggers on sale. I have not used their cheaper triggers but people I know who have like them a lot. I have a 24C and a 24 3G and love them. Check AIM Surplus for your BCG unless you are looking for 40 dollar Palmetto one.

No gun shop near me sells lowers. I would of had to order online and pay 35 dollar FFL fee at the shops around here. Walked into a local Academy sports and they had just started selling them and they had them on sale. Thus I ended up with the Ruger.
    BAMAAK wrote: »

Right to Bear Arms often sells Toolcraft BCGs for $70 on sale from $120. Great BCGs with a manufacturer source you can actually trace to a source.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,344 Senior Member
    I have that KAK shockwave brace. Works well enough.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,827 Senior Member
    For a GP trigger, the PSA "enhanced mil-spec" is a good one.
    I've got it in a couple of lowers
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

I should add that for a 300 BO build, don't try to get fancy with the buffer, spring, and such. An H1 or H2 buffer and a standard carbine spring is appropriate. A barrel with a pistol length gas system is also appropriate.
    knitepoet wrote: »
    For a GP trigger, the PSA "enhanced mil-spec" is a good one.
    I've got it in a couple of lowers

That's a good price.
    Thanks for all the replies so far. Keep em coming. I'm looking at all the suggestions.
    Thanks for all the replies so far. Keep em coming. I'm looking at all the suggestions.

Sub-sonic ammo can be finicky without use of a suppressor. A common misconception is that sub-sonic ammo in 300 BO just runs in all gun configurations. Not so. You can typically get ammo cycling in many configurations, but bolt lock-back may be sporadic in home-builds especially. This shouldn't be a deal-breaker for your build, just understand that subs might be finicky. Do some research about proper gas port size and the company you order from.
    Another piece of the puzzle came in Friday after a 5 day ups weather delay . Just a few more parts to get ordered.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,473 Senior Member
    Another piece of the puzzle came in Friday after a 5 day ups weather delay . Just a few more parts to get ordered.

What make upper?
    If you haven't decided yet, I installed a KAK Shockwave brace this weekend. Went on easily and think it was a good choice.
    Ordering an upper is on hold until the furlough is over. Just in case it lasts longer than we hope.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,341 Senior Member
    You gonna reload for it?
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    You gonna reload for it?

I probably will eventually. Won't be a priority right away.
    Think I'm going with the KAK brace. Midway giving me a decent birthday deal on it. Are the PSA lower kits any good. I can get a good deal on one. Heard folks on here talk good about there other parts. Haven't asked about there lower kits.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,094 Senior Member
    Think I'm going with the KAK brace. Midway giving me a decent birthday deal on it. Are the PSA lower kits any good. I can get a good deal on one. Heard folks on here talk good about there other parts. Haven't asked about there lower kits.

I've got that LPK, works fine. The trigger is excrement, but it is what it is.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 972 Senior Member
    No gun shop near me sells lowers. I would of had to order online and pay 35 dollar FFL fee at the shops around here. Walked into a local Academy sports and they had just started selling them and they had them on sale. Thus I ended up with the Ruger.

Cabelas has started selling Anderson Stripped Lowers. I will probably pick up one since I can avoid the FFL fee.

Good deal. I don't expect a great trigger on these parts kits. Can always get another one later.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,231 Senior Member
    Good deal. I don't expect a great trigger on these parts kits. Can always get another one later.

Their “EPT” trigger (electroless Ni coated polished trigger) is actually not horrible ... it is not a Geissele, RRA NM or such ... compared to a mil-spec LPK. It’s still 5 pounds plus but for general purpose it is a little better than you’d expect.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    Their “EPT” trigger (electroless Ni coated polished trigger) is actually not horrible ... it is not a Geissele, RRA NM or such ... compared to a mil-spec LPK. It’s still 5 pounds plus but for general purpose it is a little better than you’d expect.
    That's what I called their "enhanced" trigger
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Ordered this kit. Don't think it's the trigger ya'll are talking about. Their enhanced kits were out of stock.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-moe-plus-lpk-fde.html

knitepoet wrote: »

Well crap. That one is the same price as the one I ordered.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file