The new HD/SD AR15.

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,058 Senior Member
Ever since I turned my HD rifle into a coyote hunting rifle I kept my patrol rifle handy in the house for HD uses. I’m not going to see that rifle for 3-4 months now, so it got me thinking about building another dedicated, personally owned, HD rifle. I arrived at the following parameters:

1.) Be a mid length gas system,
2.) Have a barrel in a 14.5” pinned configuration,
3.) Be of parts from reputable companies,
4.) Weigh between 7.5 and 8.5 pounds,
5.) Have a 5.56 NATO chamber.

With that established I moved on to the peripherals. The hand guard was to be at most 14” long to accommodate grip reach and accessory placement versatility. MLOK would be used as I’ve observed it’s the strongest attachment method. Buttstock and grip were not prioritized highly, but must meet #3 above. The bolt carrier group had to be MIL-STD and the carrier have a chrome lined bolt bore. The trigger also would be MIL-STD.

I set to building and ordering parts. The core results are as follows:

6_C3_D946_A_48_AC_43_B5_9796_0_F28_CF7_C589_B.jpg

Receivers: Aero Precision M4E1 set
Barrel: Ballistic Advantage 556 NATO, 14.5”, 4150 CMV, 1/7
Gas System: Ballistic Advantage Lo-Pro, SS mid gas tube
Hand Guard: SLR Rifleworks ION Ultra Light 14” MLOK
BCG: Toolcraft MIL-STD bolt assembly, MPI tested
Trigger: MIL-STD (has thousands of rounds on it, very smooth!)
Buffer: Spikes T2 extra heavy buffer, standard spring/buffer tube

DFD6_DB23_B182_4994_BB84_8_A1205_B5_FAE2.jpg

Topping it off is a Trijicon MRO and a set of ARMS #71L-R folding BUIS. The buttstock is a BCM Gunfighter and the grip is a Mission First Tactical grip (testing; subject to change).

248_A11_AE_6_A00_4_BEC_8_A4_D_5_F748_FFCC3_AD.jpg

I had a Gen 2 Law Tactical stock folding adapter and I put it on this build. I really like them. As part of the system there is an adapter that fits in the rear of the bolt carrier. It adds some weight to the carrier which is a plus to reduce bolt/breech bounce in conjunction with the extra heavy carbine buffer I’m using. It’s a soft recoiling, smooth shooting rifle.

9468_AAB0_316_D_47_B4_9770_F579785_C6_C97.jpg

Here are a couple of additional pictures. Additionally, I shot about 50 rounds yesterday just before dark. It groups very well at 50 yards with Lake City 556 ammo. I suspect it will shoot MOA or better with the ammo I will be using in it (62gr Barnes TSX, 5.56 NATO equivalent).

025_AA8_AE_F6_E1_494_A_A2_C7_7979936_F8_E45.jpg

B4678_E18_DE11_4_C79_8_A42_DEEBA70676_C8.jpg

I will be attaching a Surefire Scout 1500 lumen light as soon as they release it sometime following SHOT Show. That will basically make it complete.

More to follow.
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member
    Nice, what is the final weight? Why the heavy buffer for a mid length with 62gr bullets? I'm debating buffer types right now. I'm using a low mass light weight BCG and mid length gas for a race gun. People tell me use a standard buffer and take some weights out of it but a 3 oz buffer is only 10 bucks.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

    -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,058 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    Nice, what is the final weight? Why the heavy buffer for a mid length with 62gr bullets? I'm debating buffer types right now. I'm using a low mass light weight BCG and mid length gas for a race gun. People tell me use a standard buffer and take some weights out of it but a 3 oz buffer is only 10 bucks.

    The buffer weight combined with the mid length gas system makes for softer recoil and less bolt bounce when going into battery. The VLTOR A5 buffer system accomplishes the same thing, but it’s a tad pricey. I had everything laying around except the buffer. It’s in the H3 weight range. It’s 4 ounces.

    Gas system / buffer science can be a bit complicated, but the right combinations make he difference.

    I’d be willing to bet a properly configured heavy buffer and a normal BCG would render your competition rifle easier recoiling and quicker back on target.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,094 Senior Member
    That folding mechanism is interesting...
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,094 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    That folding mechanism is interesting...

    After checking the price, it's not near as interesting as I first thought ...
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,058 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    After checking the price, it's not near as interesting as I first thought ...

    Got mine almost half off back during Black Friday.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    The buffer weight combined with the mid length gas system makes for softer recoil and less bolt bounce when going into battery. The VLTOR A5 buffer system accomplishes the same thing, but it’s a tad pricey. I had everything laying around except the buffer. It’s in the H3 weight range. It’s 4 ounces.

    Gas system / buffer science can be a bit complicated, but the right combinations make he difference.

    I’d be willing to bet a properly configured heavy buffer and a normal BCG would render your competition rifle easier recoiling and quicker back on target.

    Not with underspecified loads carbine matches shooting 35 yds similar to USPSA but up to 200 yds. So yea, a balance must be found.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

    -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    Why did you go with the 14.5" P&W barrel, rather than a 16" that would allow you to attach a suppressor?
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,058 Senior Member
    USUFB wrote: »
    Why did you go with the 14.5" P&W barrel, rather than a 16" that would allow you to attach a suppressor?

    Because that’s 9-13 months away. I have a suppressor picked out and ready to submit and I am submitting a Form 1 on thebreceiver. When that time comes it’s going to become a 12.5” barrel gun. I’ll sell the barrel/handguard to fund the new barrel and handguard.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,231 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    cpj wrote: »
    That folding mechanism is interesting...

    After checking the price, it's not near as interesting as I first thought ...

    I said the same thing ... I’d never spend $200 for one but recently a friend pulled out a messenger bag from his truck which had his truck AR pistol with a Law Folder and Shockwave pistol brace. The little thing fit in a messenger back ... under NC law with a CHP can be carried canceled in your vehicle ... and setup for basically defense use. His has a 10.5” barrel with a 3-lug mount to take a suppressor. The little Law Folder piece adds a little over 1” and actually makes the brace easier to use ... basically it’s the same dimensions of an SBR without the $200 stamp or need for Form 20s every year. It makes me reconsider my “never” thought ... but my wallet and kid’s college in 2 years has put me on a real gun budget ... think my wife would like a Law Folder for Valentines Day?
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,094 Senior Member
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    I said the same thing ... I’d never spend $200 for one but recently a friend pulled out a messenger bag from his truck which had his truck AR pistol with a Law Folder and Shockwave pistol brace. The little thing fit in a messenger back ... under NC law with a CHP can be carried canceled in your vehicle ... and setup for basically defense use. His has a 10.5” barrel with a 3-lug mount to take a suppressor. The little Law Folder piece adds a little over 1” and actually makes the brace easier to use ... basically it’s the same dimensions of an SBR without the $200 stamp or need for Form 20s every year. It makes me reconsider my “never” thought ... but my wallet and kid’s college in 2 years has put me on a real gun budget ... think my wife would like a Law Folder for Valentines Day?

    That could be interesting. Maybe one day I will attempt to make such a thing. While not $200 intersting, $100 makes it more appealing. But The cost of a bit of aluminum (few bucks) and learning new skills DOES make it worth it.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,058 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    That could be interesting. Maybe one day I will attempt to make such a thing. While not $200 intersting, $100 makes it more appealing. But The cost of a bit of aluminum (few bucks) and learning new skills DOES make it worth it.

    It’s made of steel. They have a lot of R&D on these things. Aluminum was tried.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,094 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    It’s made of steel. They have a lot of R&D on these things. Aluminum was tried.

    Something being a dumb idea ain't never stopped me before.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,264 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Something being a dumb idea ain't never stopped me before.


    f9dfaca4d10aa55fdc2d2d72b84b384b.jpg
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,058 Senior Member
    f9dfaca4d10aa55fdc2d2d72b84b384b.jpg

    AK47 sniper rifle!!!! But ya know what he thought had never been done befo? Rape. Suprise to him. There be laws.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,264 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    AK47 sniper rifle!!!! But ya know what he thought had never been done befo? Rape. Suprise to him. There be laws.


    I have a meme for that too, but I probably shouldn't share it on the forum.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,077 Senior Member
    I have a meme for that too, but I probably shouldn't share it on the forum.

    oh, but you can PM it :)
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,264 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    oh, but you can PM it :)


    Sent.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file