Trump's live broadcast negotiations: Brilliant or not?

bullsi1911bullsi1911 ModeratorPosts: 8,971 Senior Member
Our 'reality-TV president' grabbed 25 legislators and put them in the hot seat and had them do negotiations on DACA/ Immigration in front of live broadcast cameras.

I have not watched the whole broadcast yet, but I really think this was a brilliant move. First, Trump is 100% comfortable thinking on his feet in front of live, unscripted cameras. Second, he got around the media 'filter' and showed the country exactly what is going on in negotiations, where there would be no chance of twisting quotes or spinning things to make either side look evil.
To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
-Mikhail Kalashnikov

Comments

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 6,298 Senior Member
    I was not happy with his comments on DACA. He seemed to be sucking up to demonrats, but maybe there's a strategy in that.....we shall see what happens.
    Political correctness is a liberal degrading of the freedom of speech. George Orwell's 1984 famously incorporated the notion of limiting thought through language (see Newspeak)." Meanwhile, the beatings will continue until morale improves around here.
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 7,792 Senior Member
    Interesting. I haven't seen it yet, but I'll at least give him credit for a somewhat creative idea. I mean CSPAN, but no one ever watches that.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 21,496 Senior Member
    It was pretty interesting. I watched the thing on Fox as long as they broadcast it. There were some pretty antsy people on BOTH sides of the aisle in that meeting. Trump has that ability, like Bullsi said, to think and negotiate on his feet, and he had them squirming. On camera, and on the record! They were mighty uncomfortable! I hope he does that a bit more; keeping them on the hot seat, no 'media leaks and misquotes' from the dirtbags on both sides of the aisle, and putting the spotlight on the Cheetoh munching hair jelled Nancy boys and girls that talk a big game and never deliver.
    A double action revolver is a semiauto firearm. It fires once for every trigger pull.

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,526 Senior Member
    Good move! Actually make the "lawmakers" do their job and try to accomplish something. Whatever they agree too, the media can't blame it, although they will try, on Trump!!

But, I think I already know the results from congress, nothing!!
    Trump will have to give up the wall to get anything in return from demonrats. If he does that, he and the Republicans are finished. Of course, Lindseed Grahamnesty sounded the same as he always does, with the exception of complimenting Trump on the meeting.
    Political correctness is a liberal degrading of the freedom of speech. George Orwell's 1984 famously incorporated the notion of limiting thought through language (see Newspeak)." Meanwhile, the beatings will continue until morale improves around here.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,304 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Our 'reality-TV president' grabbed 25 legislators and put them in the hot seat and had them do negotiations on DACA/ Immigration in front of live broadcast cameras.

I have not watched the whole broadcast yet, but I really think this was a brilliant move. First, Trump is 100% comfortable thinking on his feet in front of live, unscripted cameras. Second, he got around the media 'filter' and showed the country exactly what is going on in negotiations, where there would be no chance of twisting quotes or spinning things to make either side look evil.

Did he get to say 'You're fired' ?
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,540 Senior Member
    This was a brilliant move.....needs to happen often....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 17,917 Senior Member
    Shining a bright light on the swamp rats who prefer to operate in the dark was a smart move. Leaving the head rats on both sides out of the mix was an even better idea. Let's see how many of the underlings on both sides keep toeing the party line once they've been given the opportunity to actually participate in the discussion. Schumer, Pelosi, McConnell and Ryan are the real losers here- - - -and that's exactly what was intended to happen. All of them need to be handed their walking papers by the voters.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,050 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    This was a brilliant move.....needs to happen often....
    Yes! Watched it and want to see more use of it. He also made it REALLY clear the wall is a non negotiable item.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 13,757 Senior Member
    I would like to see him doing more of this in the future.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 8,971 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    I would like to see him doing more of this in the future.

I agree. this is taking the 'bully pulpit' to new levels.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Yes! Watched it and want to see more use of it. He also made it REALLY clear the wall is a non negotiable item.
    I really don't get why Dems are fighting so hard against the wall. Sure it will be a costly and ineffectual boondoggle, but when have Dems ever cared about spending. If you can give Trump the wall in exchange for improved legal immigration proceedures and protection for dreamers then what's the big deal.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 8,971 Senior Member
    I really don't get why Dems are fighting so hard against the wall. Sure it will be a costly and ineffectual boondoggle, but when have Dems ever cared about spending. If you can give Trump the wall in exchange for improved legal immigration proceedures and protection for dreamers then what's the big deal.

because they don't want improved legal immigration.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    because they don't want improved legal immigration.
    It's more they and their base is so anti Trump they can't possibly give him anything he wants. He campaigned on the wall. Giving him a wall is handing him a victory and they can't do that. Ever. Even if it means they win something too. It's frustrating to me how broken things are. There is a fairly clear compromise here yet I'd put the odds of it actually happening at less than 25%.
    -DoctorWho

You like facts and figures. Here's some facts and figures on cost of illegal immigrants vs. cost of the wall. The wall is dirt cheap in comparison.

https://cis.org/Report/Cost-Border-Wall-vs-Cost-Illegal-Immigration

http://www.wnd.com/2017/02/which-costs-more-border-wall-or-illegal-aliens/

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/feb/16/cost-wall-less-cost-services-illegals-report/
    A double action revolver is a semiauto firearm. It fires once for every trigger pull.

It's refreshing to have you admit the truth about democrats for once. When they have no other argument against a Republican favored project they use cost as an excuse.
  • john9001john9001 Senior Member Posts: 668 Senior Member
    transparency
    It's refreshing to have you admit the truth about democrats for once. When they have no other argument against a Republican favored project they use cost as an excuse.

When the U.S. was dealing with the Barbary pirates the call was, "Millions for defense but not one cent for tribute!" Now, with the Dems and RINOs it's "Billions for silly stuff and not one cent for defense or border security!" Buying votes is important to both the Dems and RINOs.

tennmike wrote: »
    When the U.S. was dealing with the Barbary pirates the call was, "Millions for defense but not one cent for tribute!" Now, with the Dems and RINOs it's "Billions for silly stuff and not one cent for defense or border security!" Buying votes is important to both the Dems and RINOs.

Yeah, and recently all they have to do is import them from poor countries.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file