Couldn't help myself

2»

Comments

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 18,963 Senior Member
    sakodude wrote: »
    This model was only chambered in 7mm Rem Mag, 338 WIN Mag, and 375 Win Mag or H&H, I forget which. I would have bought it regardless of the chambering. In other words, I have no idea what I'll do with it. I have 3 boxes of factory 160gr ammo and plenty of 140gr bullets left over from my 7mm WSM so I will start my reloads with those.
    Given the opportunity it will go to Colorado for elk and perhaps Massachusetts for bear.

Sako

Well, I am always a “heavy for caliber” when it comes to 7mm. But, if you have the 140s........might as well burn them screwing around. I shot my biggest muley with a 140.

These days, it’s 160 and up.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 2,962 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    We sold the Hunter models very similar to that in my early LGS years which started in '92.

Probably the ONLY reason I never brought one home was that I was more into the heavy-barreled Highpower Match Rifle game than hunting at the time. By the time I was into hunting, the CZ-550's were just entering the market. . .and CHEEEEEEP with the shop discount. Still have yet to meet a Sako I didn't like. Well done!

I think the principal difference between the Hunter and Battue would be the express sight set up VS standard irons. Pretty cool arrangement, I'll Try and post a good pic of it tomorrow.
    But your right about Sako's, never meet one I didn't like ether and I've owned several over the years. Sadly sold a couple out of necessity. Still have a wonderful Vixen in .223 Rem that I treasure.

Sako
    Zee wrote: »
    Well, I am always a “heavy for caliber” when it comes to 7mm. But, if you have the 140s........might as well burn them screwing around. I shot my biggest muley with a 140.

These days, it’s 160 and up.

I expect I'll play with heavier options as well. The 140's shot well in the WSM and it's still in the family so I don't need to necessarily use them up. What powder are you using?

Sako
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 18,963 Senior Member
    I expect I'll play with heavier options as well. The 140's shot well in the WSM and it's still in the family so I don't need to necessarily use them up. What powder are you using?

Sako

Retumbo

7mm RM / 7mm STW / 7mm RUM
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 626 Senior Member
    Real nice Sako, Sako.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,703 Senior Member
    Thanks. This rifle has what I would describe as express sights that I have no intention of removing. I'm sure that's why the rings are so tall so they cleared the rear sight. I'm thinking 1x6 or so with the tube diameter objective lens so I can get it lower over the bore than those tall rings would allow. Something along these lines.https://shop.opticsplanet.com/leupold-vx-5hd-1-5x24mm-30mm-duplex-reticle-riflescope.html?_iv_code=LU-RS-VX5D124-171384&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plusbox-beta&gclid=Cj0KCQiAs9zSBRC5ARIsAFMtUXHQzS1pFUWjHu4PkdS2UGkIM73Yv7WihhbYQBr8XyR7cBsUfNyRS-kaAu4hEALw_wcB

Sako

I think you got it figured out fine. The lower the better.

And I'm here to tell you, unless you've got a fast twist barrel and like to shoot into the next county, 6 power is plenty for a 7 Mag. I have an old fixed power Weaver K-6 on mine and I hunted with it this year. It's plenty. Great looking and apparently very practical rifle.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,337 Senior Member
    Thanks, got any 7mm recipes you can share?

Sako

I have a 7mm Rem, but I've never shot it. Think I have dies....but that's it. All my 7mm bullets are 120-140 which is why I went 275 Rigby. Have some 150 NBT as well. So, no recipes from me. I think the best recipe is still to send that bad boy to Jesse ;)
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    I have a 7mm Rem, but I've never shot it. Think I have dies....but that's it. All my 7mm bullets are 120-140 which is why I went 275 Rigby. Have some 150 NBT as well. So, no recipes from me. I think the best recipe is still to send that bad boy to Jesse ;)

Couldn't recall if you had done anything with yours yet. I haven't gotten the first project off the Jesse yet so I'll wait and see how that turns out. I suspect this will remain factory chambered though unless it shoots poorly.
    If you feel the need to sell those dies:jester: I have between 50-60 die sets but no 7mm Rem Mag. Not sure how that can be...

Sako
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,002 Senior Member
    Thanks, got any 7mm recipes you can share?

Sako

I don't have the recipe in front of me, but I can tell you where to get it. Look in the Speer reloading manual. I load mine with 175 grain Grand Slams, and chose the second to hottest load they have in the book. I think it uses H4350. There's one that uses a different powder, but it takes a lot more powder than the load I chose, so I opted not to use it.,

That's a heavier bullet than most use in the 7 mag, but it has served me well.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,171 Senior Member
    Good hustle!

Sako makes a fine action and 7mm mag is a worldwide favorite.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    I don't have the recipe in front of me, but I can tell you where to get it. Look in the Speer reloading manual. I load mine with 175 grain Grand Slams, and chose the second to hottest load they have in the book. I think it uses H4350. There's one that uses a different powder, but it takes a lot more powder than the load I chose, so I opted not to use it.,

That's a heavier bullet than most use in the 7 mag, but it has served me well.

Thanks Jerry, I take a look.

Sako
    I think Jerry's load would do really well with that stubby barrel
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    Couldn't recall if you had done anything with yours yet. I haven't gotten the first project off the Jesse yet so I'll wait and see how that turns out. I suspect this will remain factory chambered though unless it shoots poorly.
    If you feel the need to sell those dies:jester: I have between 50-60 die sets but no 7mm Rem Mag. Not sure how that can be...

Sako

Tellin ya, a 358 Norma would be real neat in a 20" carbine.....

I'll look for the dies tonight. The house is a disaster right now, the living room and kitchen are being remodeled into one giant room. If I keep that 7mm barrel its getting rechambered, so no real need for 7RM dies
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,346 Senior Member

Sako
    30-40 Krag or 300 savage amongst them ?
    Weatherby wrote: »
    30-40 Krag or 300 savage amongst them ?

300 savage but I need those sorry to say. I could loan them to you though, only need them every couple of years since we don't shoot the 99 to much.

Sako
2»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file