Full dozen

TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula MemberPosts: 207 Member
Yesterday we were hunting with our neighbouring club on their hunting areas. There were men from at least three different entourages. Didn't know half of the men. We had 28 men and 6 daschhunds. A proper driven hunt in Central European style.
In first drive I didn't see anything but ravens in the sky. Dog guides radioed couple of times about dogs coming towards the field where my father and I were but eventually nothing to be seen there. One dog handler shot a nice eight spice buck.
After the usual sausage and campfire with coffee we went to our places for the second drive. There were me, my father and guide from the neighbouring team who showed us the standing places. I started my deer magnet and presto! after about an hour a flock of five deer came in to the field. They decided to park in front of me on the other side of the field. Longish shot but I decided to take a shot. Gun on to my hunting stool and TTSX into the air. I saw it was too low, but as I seem the have all the luck in a world while hunting all five deer just stayed standing there. Raised the crosshair about four inches and pulled my 798's trigger again. Off it went and the doe I was aiming at collapsed on the spot. My 12th of the season and my longest shot on a deer so far. 262 yards.

To see a World in a Grain of Sand And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour
-William Blake-

Replies

• minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 676 Senior Member
    Beautiful pics and that’s a nice doe
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,473 Senior Member
    Nice deer, you must have both freezers full now
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,859 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »

Fantastic Turdus! I love your post. The beautiful scenery and the beautiful animals you kill. If you were here from the U.S. I would say you are what I call a Great American. But you're a great Fin instead. You are proof positive that hunting has no borders.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Oops! Double Post.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,147 Senior Member
    Congrats on Nr.12, and great pics.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,752 Senior Member
    Looking good! That's a nice, healthy doe. It would be really great to see daschhunds work that kind of cover.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula Member Posts: 207 Member
    Diver43 wrote: »

Actually, I had to buy a third freezer :)
    -William Blake-
    snake284 wrote: »
    Fantastic Turdus! I love your post. The beautiful scenery and the beautiful animals you kill. If you were here from the U.S. I would say you are what I call a Great American. But you're a great Fin instead. You are proof positive that hunting has no borders.

Thanks! Appreciated!
    -William Blake-
    Actually, I had to buy a third freezer :)

I know what you mean, I'm there right now. I only have one freezer but the lid will barely shut and if I kill anything else I'm going to have to put it in my my daughter's freezer. She has room actually because mine's full of their stuff. My son in law killed two deer last year and they froze a bunch of fresh sweet corn and when we lost power during and after the Hurricane my neighbor plugged me into his generator and so my daughter brought that over here and hasn't gotten it yet. I told her I'm making Chili out of it. Even meat a little on the old side works out for chili meat because of all the spices. The newer meat will get made into sausage or eaten as steaks. After Muzzle loading season I'm making sausage.

Turdus, people like you make this place very interesting.
    I know what you mean, I'm there right now. I only have one freezer but the lid will barely shut and if I kill anything else I'm going to have to put it in my my daughter's freezer. She has room actually because mine's full of their stuff. My son in law killed two deer last year and they froze a bunch of fresh sweet corn and when we lost power during and after the Hurricane my neighbor plugged me into his generator and so my daughter brought that over here and hasn't gotten it yet. I told her I'm making Chili out of it. Even meat a little on the old side works out for chili meat because of all the spices. The newer meat will get made into sausage or eaten as steaks. After Muzzle loading season I'm making sausage.

There it is. Our new, third freezer. Humming happily between our ground source heat pump and our older chest freezer in our garage :)

-William Blake-

Thanks to main street western culture, TV and internet I guess I'm more familiar with American way of life and culture than you Americans are aware of our Nordic heritage and the way we live here? Sometimes I find myself a little odd ball here. Just occasionally :)
    -William Blake-
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,010 Senior Member
    Congratulations! That's some beautiful country you hunt.

Back when I was single and living in Louisiana, I'd keep the first deer of the season for myself, then give away any others I killed.

But, one year I decided to keep all I killed to cut down on the grocery bill. Between Louisiana and Texas, I killed 6 that year.

By the time I'd taken the first bite of the third one, I was gladly giving venison to anyone who would take it. Lol.

I'm over it, though. I can eat venison again.

But not buffalo. My wife and I ate two in two years. That's enough for a lifetime.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
    Linefinder wrote: »
    Congratulations! That's some beautiful country you hunt.

Back when I was single and living in Louisiana, I'd keep the first deer of the season for myself, then give away any others I killed.

But, one year I decided to keep all I killed to cut down on the grocery bill. Between Louisiana and Texas, I killed 6 that year.

By the time I'd taken the first bite of the third one, I was gladly giving venison to anyone who would take it. Lol.

I'm over it, though. I can eat venison again.

But not buffalo. My wife and I ate two in two years. That's enough for a lifetime.

Mike
    We haven’t bought any red meat besides some pork and chicken since september 2016 when I was invited to this hunting entourage. Still tastes great :)
    -William Blake-
    If I had a shot at moose, I'd be more than happy with that. I've eaten it only once, (Thank you, JerryBobCo), but if it was possible, I'd trade every deer I've killed for one moose.

Best game meat I've ever had.

You are lucky.

Mike
    KSU Firefighter
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,479 Senior Member
    Stellar deer season, nice shot for the latest one:applause:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,782 Senior Member
    Congrats
    I have a need for speed
    We haven’t bought any red meat besides some pork and chicken since september 2016 when I was invited to this hunting entourage. Still tastes great :)

I knew only three ways to cook it. Grilled, stewed, or fried, with not much cooking skill to change even those variations much. That probably is what threw a wrench in the works.

Mike
    KSU Firefighter
    Linefinder wrote: »
    If I had a shot at moose, I'd be more than happy with that. I've eaten it only once, (Thank you, JerryBobCo), but if it was possible, I'd trade every deer I've killed for one moose.

Best game meat I've ever had.

You are lucky.

Mike
    I like moose hunting very much. And thise two I shot this season were very nice. And the other cow might be the biggest in Finland in many many years. Perhaps a 2-3 decades. There is one magazine that searces the biggest cow.

Moose meat is great too although I prefer deer.
    -William Blake-
    Here on this forum I've heard various opinions about what is best, Deer, Elk, Moose. So what is best? I think it depends on the person, his particular experience eating it and a lot of aesthetics thrown in. I think this all means one thing, wild game is generally good eats.
  • ar15julesar15jules New Member Posts: 17 New Member
    Great job and fantastic photos!
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,422 Senior Member
    Was not too long ago when you were introducing yourself talking about your new rifle and telling us how you were getting back into hunting! You've done very well for yourself since!!!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Was not too long ago when you were introducing yourself talking about your new rifle and telling us how you were getting back into hunting! You've done very well for yourself since!!!

Yeah! It was just two seasons ago. It’s been an incredible 1,5 years. I would have never quessed how everything will turn out when I had an agreement with the hunting entourage for shooting one deer from the blind and how exited I was buying a new rifle after a quarter od a century.

Now I have got four moose and an incredible seventeen white tails plus acouple of roe deer under my belt.

And I’m touched Wambli Ska for remembering my story in this forum!
    -William Blake-
  • shooter10mmshooter10mm Member Posts: 213 Member
    Awesome story and pretty country!! I'm the same way, I love eating what I kill. Aaannnnnddd the BEST meat I've ever killed and eaten and I've killed most of it, is farm fed A.K.A. Montana Alfalfa and Barley fields Pronghorn.....Yes Crop fed Antelope is the best damn meat I've ever eat. I love it all Elk, Moose and Deer, but that Prairie Maggot is the best eating I've ever had as long as they ain't been living on sage!
    "You miss 100% of the shots you do not take!"
    "As long as there's Lead in the air there's hope!
    " -- Ralph Adkinson(Daddy) The original Marlboro Man

And I’m touched Wambli Ska for remembering my story in this forum!

Wambli's not the only one who remembers it. It's been really fun to read your posts, see the successes, and thank you for sharing them with us

And did I mention your country is beautiful?

Mike
    KSU Firefighter

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file