Government Shutdown

Diver43Diver43 Senior MemberPosts: 7,448 Senior Member
What does shutting down the Government really mean? In the past it meant that National Parks and Monuments were closed, Federal Employees stayed home, Military PCS and TDY travel stopped and once the idiots in Washington passed a budget or signed a continuing resolution, everything went back to normal.

But, what about this time? The parks and monuments are staying open, us Government idiots can not stop business as usual for the American People. The IRS will keep processing tax returns, you can still walk in and get a passport or visa for your vacation. Pretty much business as usual.
Step into my world and things are different. Our Military is expected to perform as normal, but are unsure if their pay will be deposited at the end of the month. My office was frantically canceling Military and Civilian travel, canceling freight shipments scheduled for pick up and starting Monday, staying home, not knowing when I will be allowed to return to work. In the past it has only been for a few weeks, 17 days in 2013, and everyone received their pay. Many of us are unsure about how long this time or when/if we will be paid. Last time I was considered key and essential and worked while everyone else stayed home and did not worry much about getting paid. This time the powers that be appointed themselves key and essential because they are unsure about pay this time. Good luck getting emergency travel for a Military member or a medivac set up by him. Meanwhile the big shots will thump their chest telling us how its not my fault blame it on the other guy.

A real Government Shutdown would be more like: When you cant find your passport so need to cancel your cruise or flight, when you pull up to a National Park the gate is closed, when you go to the airport your flight is canceled because their is no TSA, air martials, FAA, or anything Federal working. Better yet the Secret Service and National Police stay home and leave our elected officials unprotected.

By the way, did you know that Congress and the Senate are exempt and their pay will continue no matter what?
My wife and I are both Federal workers and will be effected, the wife starting today as work on their LAN room is canceled because she is not allowed to work. We no longer have kids at home and are at a point in life where we dont live paycheck to paycheck, but what about that young GS-4 or GS-5 clerk just getting started and have young ones to support?

All because a bunch of rich idiots do not care about Americans, only getting their time on TV preaching one thing and doing another. All because non documented people and their children demand more. Because Congress is too chicken shyte to pass a law doing one thing or another, the senate ties up the budget without a boatload of money for illegals? They all blame each other, but this time the bottom line is the senate saying lets shut down the Government for the sake of illegals that have been here for years and never did a thing to become legal.
Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Comments

• john9001john9001 Senior Member Posts: 668 Senior Member
    Schumer's shutdown.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,580 Senior Member
    Politicians at their finest!!
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 6,386 Senior Member
    Schumer and the dimms suck something, but I'm not going to say what it is.
    Political correctness is a liberal degrading of the freedom of speech. George Orwell's 1984 famously incorporated the notion of limiting thought through language (see Newspeak)." Meanwhile, the beatings will continue until morale improves around here.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 17,975 Senior Member
    Fire the whole bunch and start over, or decorate all the lamp posts and overpasses in Washington DC with buzzard food swinging in the wind!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,763 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    In the past it meant that National Parks and Monuments were closed, Federal Employees stayed home, Military PCS and TDY travel stopped and once the idiots in Washington passed a budget or signed a continuing resolution, everything went back to normal.

Actually, Obama added all that stuff in, in an effort to punish Republicans in the media for not bending over to his demands. My Congressman, Louis Gohmert, personally cut the chains to let a travel group of WWII vets into that memorial, because it was not supposed to be shut down.

The Republicans wrote a clean bill that had nothing in it that Dems opposed, and they still rejected it, because they had most of the media lined up to blame Republicans for it, as usual. I hope that enough people know the facts about this to blow it up in their face.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,448 Senior Member
    bisley that was in 2013, that is 2018 were nothing but political nastyness. i have seen this happen first hand since 1977.
    This and the 2013 shutdown have been orchestrated by the dems to get their way. They purposesly have set it up so little of America will feel it or live it. Only see it on TV and social media.
    Really turn off everything Federal and it would be a different story
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    As long as there is an ignorant and gullible public willing to believe that bought and paid for oligarchic puppets are on their side because they have a capital R or D in front of their name or utter some placating rhetoric, we can expect this type of ridiculous theater.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,041 Senior Member
    i think the absolute first thing that should be cut in any type of government shutdown is pay for all congressman, senators, and their aids. There is no good reason for them to have an exemption when they are the cause and the duration of a shutdown should be subtracted from their pay. This would give them a little more incentive to do their jobs.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 341 Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    i think the absolute first thing that should be cut in any type of government shutdown is pay for all congressman, senators, and their aids. There is no good reason for them to have an exemption when they are the cause and the duration of a shutdown should be subtracted from their pay. This would give them a little more incentive to do their jobs.
    This. I can wholeheartedly agree with this stance.
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 7,845 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    That would only matter if their real pay came from thier paychecks. You think any of them become millionaires collecting a paycheck? Sure $175k is nice but DC is expensive and they all have to maintain two households. No thier real pay comes from their real employers, their big donors and lobbyists. Citizens and voters don't matter except for a few months during election years.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,041 Senior Member
    That would only matter if their real pay came from thier paychecks. You think any of them become millionaires collecting a paycheck? Sure $175k is nice but DC is expensive and they all have to maintain two households. No thier real pay comes from their real employers, their big donors and lobbyists. Citizens and voters don't matter except for a few months during election years.

While this is true, they all seem to be greedy enough to rabidly defend their pay and the loss of any amount of money appears to motivate them more than any concerns about the best interest of our country.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,465 Senior Member
    The whole country inconvenienced over 750,000 illegals......
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    The whole country inconvenienced over 750,000 illegals......

:agree::win::angry: Now if there truly was a Government shutdown where everything attached to even one federal penny was shut down, this would never happen. No social security, no welfare, no military, no parks, no federal LEOs, no federal aid or money to anyone or anything!! Those illegals would scream for their heads just like I am.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,006 Senior Member
    Imagine the bedlam in the streets if EBT cards didn't get refilled the first of the month? It would make the LA riots look like a small party. Even if it was one or two days. Maybe govt employees should riot.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,785 Senior Member
    Sorry "shumer's shutdown" got you 2 :cuss:

They're more worried about protecting their illegal voters than the citizens of this country... imagine that
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

As dumb as the shutdown is, another month CR would also have been really stupid. Continuing to fund our government a month at a time and fighting over it every month is ridiculous. Maybe just maybe this will force them to actually compromise and pass a real budget so when feds go back to work they can actually have the resources to do their jobs effectively.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
    As dumb as the shutdown is, another month CR would also have been really stupid. Continuing to fund our government a month at a time and fighting over it every month is ridiculous. Maybe just maybe this will force them to actually compromise and pass a real budget so when feds go back to work they can actually have the resources to do their jobs effectively.

Maybe so, are you volunteering to pay our mortgage while they take their time and work it out?
    This type of fake shut down is easy for you. Truly shut down everything federal and then tell me what a good idea it is.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 13,796 Senior Member
    This shutdown is yet another example of putting the interests of party before the interests of the country. When will voters ever learn?
  • roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    Support your local Scouts!
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,651 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    This shutdown is yet another example of putting the interests of party before the interests of the country. When will voters ever learn?

Yep. Like I've said before, "parties" are a large part of the problem. Heil Hitler! *Nazi salute*

The Liberals are going bat-scat crazy in the streets and on TV. Good. Let's get this out in the open for a change.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
    Email from my congressman, Dan Kildee (D)...
    Dan Kildee wrote:
    Unfortunately, early this morning, the U.S. federal government shut down because the Republican-led Congress failed to do its job and pass a budget. A government shutdown is reckless and has serious implications for our economy and military.

My reply...
    Jermanator wrote:
    I received your email today regarding the government shutdown. You said, "Unfortunately, early this morning, the U.S. federal government shut down because the Republican-led Congress failed to do its job and pass a budget. A government shutdown is reckless and has serious implications for our economy and military:"

The reason we have this shutdown is because Democrats are looking out for the Democrat agenda and Republicans are looking out for the Republican agenda. By placing the responsibility on, "the Republican-led Congress" you do nothing more than play partisan politics while doing nothing for the American people and our country.

Another example is your failure to work with Republicans on healthcare reform. On their own, they came up with a disastrous bill that failed. You toed the party line for Obamacare-- which is also a disaster. The American people lost. I am tired of party hubris interfering with your job-- which is supposed to be looking out for the interests of your constituents. While it may make you a wonderful Democrat, it makes for a lousy congressman. I urge you to do better.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 21,895 Senior Member
    This shutdown is over nothing more than the Democrats trying to get 800,000+ ILLEGAL ALIEN Dreamers accelerated citizenship, and their ILLEGAL ALIEN FAMILIES moved in to include grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and shirttail relatives so the Democrats (Damned Communist Party) can get a few million illegal votes lined up for the midterms and for the 2020 presidential election. They are determined to make us Venezuela, and will use any means to do it.

If this causes a HUGE backlash against the ILLEGAL ALIEN Dreamers then that's on the Communist Party of America, formally known as the Democrat Party. The Dreamers are ILLEGAL ALIENS that don't belong here, and like to wave that Mexican flag. Let them go home to the country whose flag they wave. They are not, and should not be allowed to be U.S. citizens. I hope when these Demoturd Senators and Congressmen go home that they are met with a rain of rotten fruit and vegetables, and their homes are surrounded 24/7 with people with torches and pitchforks, and the cops find somewhere else to be if it gets ugly.

And for those govt workers sent home, I hope this mess is short in duration. YOU are being punished by a bunch of filth not fit to scoop up the elephant feces behind the circus parade.

Protests are starting up today. I hope the protesters on the LEFT get their guts stomped out by the protesters on the RIGHT, and that for ONE TIME, the cops just twiddle their thumbs and watch like they do when the LEFT tries to burn the town down.
    Non Sibi Sed Patriage (Not for self, but country)

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,378 Senior Member
    So I have a son on active duty in South Korea right now looking at no paycheck this month. Yeah, I’m happy...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,651 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    This shutdown is over nothing more than the Democrats trying to get 800,000+ ILLEGAL ALIEN Dreamers accelerated citizenship, and their ILLEGAL ALIEN FAMILIES moved in to include grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and shirttail relatives so the Democrats (Damned Communist Party) can get a few million illegal votes lined up for the midterms and for the 2020 presidential election. They are determined to make us Venezuela, and will use any means to do it.

If this causes a HUGE backlash against the ILLEGAL ALIEN Dreamers then that's on the Communist Party of America, formally known as the Democrat Party. The Dreamers are ILLEGAL ALIENS that don't belong here, and like to wave that Mexican flag. Let them go home to the country whose flag they wave. They are not, and should not be allowed to be U.S. citizens. I hope when these Demoturd Senators and Congressmen go home that they are met with a rain of rotten fruit and vegetables, and their homes are surrounded 24/7 with people with torches and pitchforks, and the cops find somewhere else to be if it gets ugly.

And for those govt workers sent home, I hope this mess is short in duration. YOU are being punished by a bunch of filth not fit to scoop up the elephant feces behind the circus parade.

Protests are starting up today. I hope the protesters on the LEFT get their guts stomped out by the protesters on the RIGHT, and that for ONE TIME, the cops just twiddle their thumbs and watch like they do when the LEFT tries to burn the town down.

WORD.

I hope it does cause a backlash against Illegals *AND* Liberals. I'm sick of them both.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
    I received your email today regarding the government shutdown. You said, "Unfortunately, early this morning, the U.S. federal government shut down because the Republican-led Congress failed to do its job and pass a budget. A government shutdown is reckless and has serious implications for our economy and military:"

The reason we have this shutdown is because Democrats are looking out for the Democrat agenda and Republicans are looking out for the Republican agenda. By placing the responsibility on, "the Republican-led Congress" you do nothing more than play partisan politics while doing nothing for the American people and our country.

Another example is your failure to work with Republicans on healthcare reform. On their own, they came up with a disastrous bill that failed. You toed the party line for Obamacare-- which is also a disaster. The American people lost. I am tired of party hubris interfering with your job-- which is supposed to be looking out for the interests of your constituents. While it may make you a wonderful Democrat, it makes for a lousy congressman. I urge you to do better.

OUTSTANDING REPLY!!!!!!!!! Can I plagiarize you?
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    By all means...
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Maybe so, are you volunteering to pay our mortgage while they take their time and work it out?
    This type of fake shut down is easy for you. Truly shut down everything federal and then tell me what a good idea it is.
    Only if you pay my rent. My girlfriend works for the Navy. She had do wake up this morning and send emails to dozens of people telling them they had to cancel travel plans for a major training she had spent months planning and organizing that was scheduled for this week.

My company on the other hand has been waiting for months to get money in on contracts we've had in place, but can't get paid because the agency we work for can't plan or distribute new money on most of our contracts until they have a final budget. Because of that I've been working significantly reduced hours since the beginning of the fiscal year. So I think I know a little bit about difficulty paying bills because of the inability of the idiots in Congress to do their jobs!
    -DoctorWho
    Funding the day to day business of the people is a fundamental part of their job. Blaming Democrats/Republicans for their failure to perform the most basic of their tasks is inexcusable. If I don't get my job done, I don't get a free pass by saying Jeff was a jerk-- I failed to do my job. The people that are paying me do not care what the hell Jeff did-- I didn't get my job done.

Democrats don't get a pass because "Republicans are jerks" and Republicans don't get a pass either. This is bull crap. No excuse!
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,225 Senior Member
    First things frozen should have been ALL (Reps and Dems) Congressional salaries and Congressional travel & expense accounts ... they aren’t going to feel it.

Side question ... how long before someone blames a crime on the idea the ATF was handcuffed by this shutdown and background checks were compromised some how? Wonder if the Form 1’s and Form 4’s piles will move?
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    By all means...
    Thank you sir. Was thinking about it this morning and you came up with exactly what I wanted to say.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file