Look what I've got!

TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula MemberPosts: 207 Member
Just a plain, brown rifle sling made out of leather. Nothing special. Except it's from my first rifle I bought in 1989!
My father had made an inventory on stuff he had lying around and found my old sling from my first, custom built rifle. I just oiled it with leather oil and installed in to my Axis. A real blast from the past. Part of my youth with guns.

To see a World in a Grain of Sand And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour
-William Blake-

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,013 Senior Member
    I wish I still had my first rifle sling. I wish I still had my first game vest. I wish I
    still my first shotgun.

Recovered treasures are better than new found ones.

Congrats!

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,424 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »
    I wish I still had my first rifle sling. I wish I still had my first game vest. I wish I
    still my first shotgun.

Recovered treasures are better than new found ones.

Congrats!

Mike
    Agreed! I wish I'd been more of a hoarder with my old stuff... Nice sling!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,473 Senior Member
    Very nice. Wish I had not left things behind when I moved
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,827 Senior Member
    :up:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,782 Senior Member
    nice sling
    I have a need for speed
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Make sure the old leather is sound, especially at the swivels. I had one break once well snow shoeing down a hill.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,866 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    Make sure the old leather is sound, especially at the swivels. I had one break once well snow shoeing down a hill.

Nice sling. I agree with Early, just make sure it's in sound condition.

BTW, what was your first rifle and what happened to it?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula Member Posts: 207 Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Nice sling. I agree with Early, just make sure it's in sound condition.

BTW, what was your first rifle and what happened to it?

It's in nice condition. No cracks or anything. Just a bit dry, but quality leather oil will take care of that.

My first rifle was built on Tikka M65 action by one of the most famous gunsmith at that time here in Finland. When I was nineteen I wanted to buy a rifle to hunt for fox and hare in wintery fields by the moonlight. I was at high school at the time and didn't really have no money (nothing's changed :) ) and at first I was looking for used rifle. I just happened to call this gunsmith if had any used rifles. No he didn't but he could build me one. Oh no, no no, I don't have the money for that. But he gave me an offer I just couldn't resist.
    First he offered one with 7-08 but that was very, very rare at that point in here. Even today I don't personally know anyone who shoots 7-08... So I wanted an 308 Win. He used a quality stainless steel barrel with varmint profile and bedded it with Tikka's De Luxe hunting stock with rose wood decorations and all. It was very accurate rifle at that time. One ragged hole all day from 100 meters with Sierra's 168gr boat tales. At those times these modern day 1MOA rifles were unheard of and it wasn't part of Finnish gun culture to use gunsmith to get a gun. You just bought off the shelf Tikka or Sako and that's it. So my rifle was center of attention many times on shooting range I used to with.

Then life happened. I was working in Finnish military forces and money was tight ( nothing's changed..) and wanted something new and "necessary" from the local gun shop so my rifle went in as exchange. Still feel sorry for my stupidity. But at least I just got my old sling black. Brings up memories from those cold winter nights by the fields and all those foxes and hares I got with it.
    To see a World in a Grain of Sand And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
    Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour
    -William Blake-
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,866 Senior Member
    It's in nice condition. No cracks or anything. Just a bit dry, but quality leather oil will take care of that.

My first rifle was built on Tikka M65 action by one of the most famous gunsmith at that time here in Finland. When I was nineteen I wanted to buy a rifle to hunt for fox and hare in wintery fields by the moonlight. I was at high school at the time and didn't really have no money (nothing's changed :) ) and at first I was looking for used rifle. I just happened to call this gunsmith if had any used rifles. No he didn't but he could build me one. Oh no, no no, I don't have the money for that. But he gave me an offer I just couldn't resist.
    First he offered one with 7-08 but that was very, very rare at that point in here. Even today I don't personally know anyone who shoots 7-08... So I wanted an 308 Win. He used a quality stainless steel barrel with varmint profile and bedded it with Tikka's De Luxe hunting stock with rose wood decorations and all. It was very accurate rifle at that time. One ragged hole all day from 100 meters with Sierra's 168gr boat tales. At those times these modern day 1MOA rifles were unheard of and it wasn't part of Finnish gun culture to use gunsmith to get a gun. You just bought off the shelf Tikka or Sako and that's it. So my rifle was center of attention many times on shooting range I used to with.

Then life happened. I was working in Finnish military forces and money was tight ( nothing's changed..) and wanted something new and "necessary" from the local gun shop so my rifle went in as exchange. Still feel sorry for my stupidity. But at least I just got my old sling black. Brings up memories from those cold winter nights by the fields and all those foxes and hares I got with it.

Oh well, we live and learn. But then again, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. You came out on top anyway.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file