Dog
    Ants
    Termites
    Grasshopper
    Scorpion
    Crickets
    Javalina Boar
    Chipmunk
    Animal Bits & Pieces: Stomach/Intestines/Nuts/Liver/Udder/Eyes/Brains/Tongue/Kidneys/Heart/etc
    Carp
    Fly
    Moth
    Meal Worm

I’m thinking......

Jackrabbit
    Bear
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 13,910 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Actually, mustard-packed sardines aren't half bad, but I prefer the huge "Crown Prince" brand ones packed in the oval cans about 6" long by 4" wide. Those are getting hard to find unless I order them online a case at a time. That would be about a 5 year supply for me!
    Jerry
    If you like sardines, eat them without guilt. They are packed with heart healthy omega 3's and calcium. They are extremely healthy. Other than the smell. I learned to avoid them on "date night" the difficult way. I like either the ones with mustard sauce or packed in water. I eat them with hot sauce and/or hot peppers. One of these days, I would like to try some fresh. I heard they are awesome.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,929 Senior Member
    Krill
    I have a need for speed
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,280 Senior Member
    Actually, mustard-packed sardines aren't half bad, but I prefer the huge "Crown Prince" brand ones packed in the oval cans about 6" long by 4" wide. Those are getting hard to find unless I order them online a case at a time. That would be about a 5 year supply for me!
    Jerry

LOVE me some mustard sardines with some crackers and a Coke! :up:
    Non Sibi Sed Patriage (Not for self, but country)

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,068 Senior Member
    Rabbit, squirrel, oysters on the half shell, boiled crawfish, ceviche , and calamari may seem strange to some, buy I love them all.

For me, strange was escargot. Had it in Okinawa almost 40 years ago, and I remember it as good as long as it was well dunked in melted garlic butter.

But it was strange enough I haven't ordered it since.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,068 Senior Member
    Otoh, the strangest "meal" I've ever eaten..

I was in the Boy Scouts on a sort of "Survival lite" trip.

One morning we were given 2 slices of raw bacon, an egg, enough powdered milk to make an 8 oz. glass, and 2 matches.

It was mid spring and everything in Louisiana is soaking wet in mid spring. Two matches didn't cut it, and we weren't allowed our flint and steel. (Which works better than you'd think, given enough patience).

The fire was a flop. I ate the 2 pieces of bacon raw. Then mixed swamp water with the powdered milk in a ratio that produced a thick gruel. Then broke and mixed in the egg and drank it all as fast as I could.

Good times.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 1,169 Senior Member
    Strangest, oddest, crappiest meal from best to worst:

Rattlesnake, Scorpion, Tarantula, Fruit Bat and Monkey.

The monkey was by far the worst since we didn't have any seasoning. We just skinned, gutted and washed it in a stream and cooked the **** over an open fire.

Even the bat was better and we got sent to medical for blood tests after the bat!

Yeah, good times. :beer:
    "Facts are stubborn things and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of the facts and evidence" — John Adams
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,940 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    The fastest way to contract Hepatitis A known to man.....

Yeah, and eating raw oysters of unknown origin.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 6,438 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    The fastest way to contract Hepatitis A known to man.....

And eating raw fish and some meats in SE Asia is the fastest way to get the most horrible parasites and other diseases known to man. After what I learned in Medical Laboratory school in the Army during the Viet Nam war, I wouldn't touch any of that crap with a 20 foot pole. The average person has NO idea what lurks in that food that isn't well cooked.
    Political correctness is a liberal degrading of the freedom of speech. George Orwell's 1984 famously incorporated the notion of limiting thought through language (see Newspeak)." Meanwhile, the beatings will continue until morale improves around here.
    Linefinder wrote: »
    Rabbit, squirrel, oysters on the half shell, boiled crawfish, ceviche , and calamari may seem strange to some, buy I love them all.

For me, strange was escargot. Had it in Okinawa almost 40 years ago, and I remember it as good as long as it was well dunked in melted garlic butter.

But it was strange enough I haven't ordered it since.

Mike

I've eaten everything you listed and concur. Oysters are one of my all time favorites. I love 'em raw but only eat them like that when I know exactly where they came from. Don't eat them when there's been a lot of rain, you want them out of salty, cold water.

One of my cousins, on the side of the family that's related to Wick Fowler (They have some weird tastes) used to make the best ceviche. He used Sheap Head to make it, Extra virgin olive oil, along with pimiento, onion, fresh tomato and a hint of cilantro. I used to gig sheep head when floundering and give them to him. He's 95 or 96 and still kicking pretty high, so it must have been good for you.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,098 Senior Member
    Peacock. Had it down in the DR. It was greasy (dark meat) and delicious. But down there, it could have been just about anything.
    A bunch of people brought up Balut. In the Philippines there's more than one type or style of balut. On the Island of Luzon, where Manila is, the balut is gross in my opinion. It's the one with blood, guts, and feathers. But on the Island of Negros, where frst tried balut, it's not so gross. You don't see blood, guts and feathers. They incubate the eggs a shorter time before they develop the grocities. It looks like the Yolk tried to blow out of the shell. It doesn't taste really good to me. I'd prefer a plain boiled egg. Actually I do enjoy salted egg, or some call it red egg. It's something on the order of pickled egg.
    Jerry

To me, nothing strange about Sardines. My dad and I used to eat em all the time when I was growing up. I ate em til I was burnt out on 'em. They are a great source of calcium and Omega 3s. I still eat em but not quite like I used to.
    SIGgal wrote: »
    I eat tofu lol. I also tried rattlesnake and snails :vomit:

Rattle snake and Snails are not strange around here.

I've eaten Escargo more than once. I love fried Rattle Snake, don't care for it barbecued because it gets bigger as I chew.

If you ask me about Balut, there's some stranger stuff in the Philippines. One is Kinnilaw. It's the Filipno version of Ceviche. They marinate the fish in vinegar and calamansie (A small Sour Orange about the size of a large grape) instead of lime. And they add other ingredients. Sometimes I love Ginger in it. Onions of course and some nice native Chiles. One time my brother in law grossed me out. He made Kinilaw out of a Jelly Fish. No, I didn't eat any. I was just totally grossed out.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,463 Senior Member
    Again, when I was in VN, a woman at a club was eating and enjoying what I thought was a duck egg. I asked her what it was and she said chicken and offered me a bite. It looked like a pro-choice picture from Duckburg. It grossed me out...feathers and all. A head and a beak and a closed eye. I was grossed out.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,178 Senior Member
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 680 Senior Member
    Huitlacoche- it is a fungus that grows on an ear of corn. We call it corn smut in my area but it was the nastiest thing I have ever eaten.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,711 Senior Member
    I LOVE snails (escargot) and eat them often! Mountain lion, bear, guinea hens, rabbit and other somewhat exotic game meats but nothing really outrageous there, just unusual. Lots of organ meats like tripe, menudo, liver, heart, tongues, kidneys, brain and others. I used to eat tacos from a place I was told by a friend LEO after it was shut down that they were closed for serving dog. Crickets are very tasty and I’ve had quite a few of them, as well as other bugs like ants, spiders and such. There is a special Margarita salt sold in Mexico called Hoppy which is spiced up ground crickets and it’s delicious! Can’t seem to get it in the USA...

I think two of the strangest things I’ve eaten were a plate of a 3 year old aged mole (dessert) which was AMAZING, and a big bowl of fried Agave worms which were so good I’m setting up some meetings in Mexico City (my new HQs) just so I can go get another bowl at the restaurant in our building :tooth:

"Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,907 Senior Member
    Well, I didn't even think to mention mountain oysters, lamb fries, sweetbreads (glands from a cow), raccoon, armadillo, rattlesnake, frog legs, loggerhead turtle, etc. I guess I didn't consider them to be that unusual.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,077 Senior Member
    In my college days, I had a room mate who grew up on a ranch south of San Antonio. He invited me to spend the weekend with him and his dad once, so I did. His dad bought some concoction made of raw, lead ground beef and spices. Apparently, the mix was allowed to "cure" in the spices and then eaten raw. We ate it on crackers.

I remember it was good, but don't recall the name. Maybe some who live in that area know what I'm talking about.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,182 Senior Member
    Love Escargot, growing up in S. Fla. gators, snakes, possum, coons, etc was normal, went to a wild game feast I had "swamp rabbit" it was great, turned out to be muskrat.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,614 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    In my college days, I had a room mate who grew up on a ranch south of San Antonio. He invited me to spend the weekend with him and his dad once, so I did. His dad bought some concoction made of raw, lead ground beef and spices. Apparently, the mix was allowed to "cure" in the spices and then eaten raw. We ate it on crackers.

I remember it was good, but don't recall the name. Maybe some who live in that area know what I'm talking about.

Syrian / Lebanese dish called kibbeh.

Kibbeh-Nayyeh2.jpg

http://www.mamaslebanesekitchen.com/meats/lebanese-raw-kibbe-recipe-kibbeh-nayyeh/#sthash.jXqBmdDy.dpbs

I prefer it cooked.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,154 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »

Slap it between a hamburger bun and call it a cannibal sandwich :tooth:

No thanks to raw meat, nasty things can be in it.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 1,169 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »

I think in London they call that a "Bloody Mess". :jester:
    "Facts are stubborn things and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of the facts and evidence" — John Adams
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,648 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I LOVE snails (escargot) and eat them often! Mountain lion, bear, guinea hens, rabbit and other somewhat exotic game meats but nothing really outrageous there, just unusual. Lots of organ meats like tripe, menudo, liver, heart, tongues, kidneys, brain and others. I used to eat tacos from a place I was told by a friend LEO after it was shut down that they were closed for serving dog. Crickets are very tasty and I’ve had quite a few of them, as well as other bugs like ants, spiders and such. There is a special Margarita salt sold in Mexico called Hoppy which is spiced up ground crickets and it’s delicious! Can’t seem to get it in the USA...

I think two of the strangest things I’ve eaten were a plate of a 3 year old aged mole (dessert) which was AMAZING, and a big bowl of fried Agave worms which were so good I’m setting up some meetings in Mexico City (my new HQs) just so I can go get another bowl at the restaurant in our building :tooth:

You WIN!!
  • RAEIndustriesRAEIndustries Member Posts: 68 Member
    Raccoon in Alabama was surprisingly great. Never bene able to eat possum yet even though they have it alot there too
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,764 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »

There was a similar concoction sold in butcher shops when I was a kid in Kansas....except it had diced onions in it. OK on crackers when it is cold....disgusting as it warms up. Very popular with those of German extraction in the area....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,178 Senior Member
    Braunschweiger maybe?
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,568 Senior Member
    I did have some deep fried turkey testicles at an NWTF fundraiser last summer.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,077 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    I did have some deep fried turkey testicles at an NWTF fundraiser last summer.

I've had those and sheep fries. Both were very good. Never had mountain oysters, though.

Also had chicken fried sweetbreads once. I think that's the thymus gland. It was good.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file