How do You Brew Your Coffee?

shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior MemberPosts: 5,264 Senior Member
As in what method?

Lately I've taken to using the pour over method. Since I'm down to about 20oz of coffee in the AM it's the perfect quantity and the quality is rather good. Plus, at $4 for a Molita pour-over cone and $4 for 100 filters, cost wise it's hard to beat. Set it up over an over-sized mug and use hot water and you're set.

https://m.bedbathandbeyond.com/m/product/melitta-reg-pour-over-single-cup-brewing-cone/1010182077?skuId=10182077&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_dining_online&product_id=10182077&adtype=pla&product_channel=online&adpos=1o2&creative=223852732203&device=m&matchtype=&network=g&mrkgadid=3140840171&mrkgcl=609&rkg_id=h-ef74f99ce69e73538990c3b7473a5712_t-1518009624&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5KCQwfKT2QIV1LXACh3HGghaEAQYAiABEgJQGvD_BwE

e5472c45525a2928ea4f900d78fc0c58.jpg
- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
"It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

Comments

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,045 Senior Member
    Aeropress for single cups, 25 plus year old Mr Coffee maker for multiple. I'll hunt down parts to the end of the earth to fix it when it breaks. It makes excellent brew.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 17,976 Senior Member
    10 cup Bunn- - - -takes about 3 minutes to brew a 10 cup pot- - -or two, every morning. Do they make an IV drip for coffee?
    :uhm:
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 30,634 Senior Member
    These days I went to Folgers Half Caff. No reason to cut back on caffeine, but I seem to be sleeping a little better.
    I have a Keurig single cup thingy, but don't use those anymore.

I drink coffee all day long summer/winter...don't matter.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,764 Senior Member
    I use cpj's Aeropress to make good quality coffee, when I'm going to be able to relax and enjoy it. I make about 2 big cupfuls at a time and sip it scalding hot out of a Yeti quality insulated cup that will keep it really hot for an hour or two, and drinkable for 4-5 hours. I use two full (Aeropress) scoops of plain old Folgers Classic and put just enough cream in it to knock off any bitter 'edge.' It tastes very much like those $5 cups you can buy around town, marketed as 'gourmet' coffee.

When I'm in a hurry, I use the Keurig, and when I have company, I make a full pot of Folgers in a drip machine.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 30,634 Senior Member
    I have tried and saw GIs back in the 70s take a C-ration packet of instant coffee and put it in their mouths like Snuff.....when no hot water was available or just because. I don't have fond memories of that method.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 13,796 Senior Member
    On the rare occasion that I do drink coffee, I use Keurig K-cups. I almost always drink iced tea though.
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 5,714 Senior Member
    I do not drink coffee. My wife brews hers on a Keurig. For Christmas, I got here some Black Rifle Coffee Company K-Cups. She is now weaned off of Starbucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,764 Senior Member
    I just used my drip coffee maker 'pour-over cone,' very similar to what SS3 shows in his picture, with one full Aeropress scoop to make one large cup of coffee. It's very good, not quite as strong as I make it in the Aeropress, but still very good.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,465 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    10 cup Bunn- - - -takes about 3 minutes to brew a 10 cup pot- - -or two, every morning. Do they make an IV drip for coffee?
    Jerry

Me too.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • SIGgalSIGgal Senior Member Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    I just use a keurig because it's quick and I can't mess it up lol
    "Marriage is a hunting permit that allows you only one dear at a time"
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,160 Senior Member
    I have a Cuisinart 12-cup drip pot (the square one that everyone on TV has; I had it first!) for weekends and company, and a Keurig for the occasional afternoon cup. Tried a French press once and it was a pain in the tush, for not much better brew.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 1,121 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    I have tried and saw GIs back in the 70s take a C-ration packet of instant coffee and put it in their mouths like Snuff.....when no hot water was available or just because. I don't have fond memories of that method.

We would do that on jungle patrols and nightwatches. It was only one step below the Diesel fuel/Motor oil we'd usually brew at a MEF camp.

Today, I just use instant. I used to brew and then I tried the K-cups and I finally said, 'The hell with it.' Place one microwave safe coffee mug filled with water into the microwave and turn on High for 3 1/2 minutes, add a scoop of instant "whatever" and some sweetener and you're done.

It doesn't curl my nose hairs but I don't drink coffee with my pinky finger raised either. :spittingcoffee:
    "Facts are stubborn things and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of the facts and evidence" — John Adams
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,068 Senior Member
    90% of the coffee is drip out of some 'iveneverheardofit' machine that my wife bought because it had great online reviews. It makes a decent cup of coffee, but no timer- and the switch to turn it on is not a constant on switch, so I can't even hook it up to a plug timer.

The rest is either a pour over setup, or french press.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,448 Senior Member
    Have the Keurig that makes single cups or a carafe, if we have company dig out the Mr. Coffee
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,040 Senior Member
    Been using Mr. Coffee for a long, long time. We've probably been through 2 or 3 of them over the past 12-13 years, but they make good coffee and I don't see any reason to pay big buck for a maker that offers options we don't use.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,385 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    I have a Cuisinart 12-cup drip pot (the square one that everyone on TV has; I had it first!) for weekends and company, and a Keurig for the occasional afternoon cup. Tried a French press once and it was a pain in the tush, for not much better brew.
    I had that same Cuisinart for many years and finally gave it away to my daughter IIRC. Nowadays it’s Keurig every day for expediency sake but I have a whole shelf in my kitchen dedicated to coffee brewing apparatus from traditional espresso coffee pots through multiple French presses all the way to a Vietnamese Phin . I love them all for different reasons and can go with whatever toots my horn at the moment. Did I mention I’m a coffee addict?!?!?
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,785 Senior Member
    12 cup Mr Coffee, that I bought the day my youngest granddaughter was born.

Dau-in-Law was "emergency admitted" the day before with problems, so me and the wife went down to watch their (then) other 2 kids.
    They didn't have a coffee maker in the house, so the next morning, I went to the Local walmart and picked this one up. Brought it home with me and when the coffee maker I was using here at the time died, I started using that one here. I also have a French Press that I use on rare occasion.
    I like the coffee it brews well enough, just doesn't make enough for me, at only 16oz
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,631 Senior Member
    We got rid of our well used Mr. Coffee in favor of a Keurig.....and it made a decent cup of coffee....but after replacing it 3 times in as many years I threw the damned thing in the trash and got....you guessed it...a Mr. Coffee....

It makes my daily 8 O'clock very nicely thank you.....also my occasional Jamaican Blue Mountain as well....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Spk wrote: »
    We would do that on jungle patrols and nightwatches. It was only one step below the Diesel fuel/Motor oil we'd usually brew at a MEF camp.

Today, I just use instant. I used to brew and then I tried the K-cups and I finally said, 'The hell with it.' Place one microwave safe coffee mug filled with water into the microwave and turn on High for 3 1/2 minutes, add a scoop of instant "whatever" and some sweetener and you're done.

It doesn't curl my nose hairs but I don't drink coffee with my pinky finger raised either. :spittingcoffee:
    Instant coffee isn't coffee.
    Zee
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,225 Senior Member
    Okay, don’t rip me to hard but K-cups are toooo expensive for what you get and leave a lot of trash behind. My wife has a special recipe for coffee in an old standard Mr Coffee ... filtered water, unbleached coffee filter, a special blend she picks up from the market & grinds fresh and of all things a pinch of salt. Hers is dang good but honestly the S&D coffee out of the Bunn at work is not that much different ... I ain’t a coffee connoisseur who can tell where it’s from or such just make it hot, on the strong side and not scorched and I’m okay.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,264 Senior Member
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    Okay, don’t rip me to hard but K-cups are toooo expensive for what you get and leave a lot of trash behind.

I agree. Even a very cheap K-Cup is $.50 ea, and I'm pretty sure I'm spending $.05-$.10 ea using pour over. Additionally, it's always bothered me a bit that K-Cups are not recyclable, similar to why I rarely use plastic water bottles.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,160 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I had that same Cuisinart for many years and finally gave it away to my daughter IIRC. Nowadays it’s Keurig every day for expediency sake but I have a whole shelf in my kitchen dedicated to coffee brewing apparatus from traditional espresso coffee pots through multiple French presses all the way to a Vietnamese Phin . I love them all for different reasons and can go with whatever toots my horn at the moment. Did I mention I’m a coffee addict?!?!?

Yep, me too. Oh, and I do have an espresso machine too; just haven’t used it recently.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,344 Senior Member
    We gave up our trusty ol Bunn for a Cuisanart a few years ago. It makes MUCH better coffee, and only takes a couple minutes longer. K cups are too expensive.
    On the weekends, when i have time, I get out my stovetop percolating pot, and make "cowboy coffee" as my wife calls it.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,225 Senior Member
    I agree. Even a very cheap K-Cup is $.50 ea, and I'm pretty sure I'm spending $.05-$.10 ea using pour over. Additionally, it's always bothered me a bit that K-Cups are not recyclable, similar to why I rarely use plastic water bottles.

Yep ... I don’t buy into global warming but I do see pollution and believe in trying to keep stuff as best I can. I don’t do all I can I know but I sure do think though. I ain’t a tree hugger but I sure like having them around for shade.

Now after the coffee is brewed my wife saves those grounds for the plants and in our compost heap.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,385 Senior Member
    There are reusable K-cups out there. I have a few because sometimes I grind one of my special coffees beans and then used the K-cup machine to brew one cup at a time. Cost is negligible and I get a cup of premium coffee, fresh ground for pennies. K-Cup is quickly rinsed and ready to reuse.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    We've got a Kureg at work. Now that I've had the office gal get dark coffee for it, it's pretty tasty. the other selections they got for it suck.
    But, I won't pay the price for the cups. A cup or two a day wouldn't be bad. But since it's EASY, I'd make a bunch more.
    Fixing to make a half pot now, before I head to the cold ass garage.
    Zee
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,281 Senior Member
    We have a Hamilton Beach Flexbrew. I usually just use K-cups in it.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,826 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Jerry

Only for those on life support.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Big Chief wrote: »

Damn Chief, I thought I was the only one dumb enough to try that! Haven't been that hard up in several years, but as I remember it it SUCKED!!!
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    I do not drink coffee. My wife brews hers on a Keurig. For Christmas, I got here some Black Rifle Coffee Company K-Cups. She is now weaned off of Starbucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My Favorite LGS sells that and some others with names I will get banned on here for using so use your imagination. But a hint on one is Caffinated as F...!

What can I say? That's the name on the label.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file