Who shoots a CZ .22 rifle 452 or the 455

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 30,712 Senior Member
Man, all them CZs are the talk of the town in rimfire circles. The 455 replcaed the 452 from what I can tell, but my knowledge is not much on CZ rifles. Street prices seem to run under $400 for the 455 Ultra Lux.

That's a lot of bbl @ at 28.6"

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-455-ultra-lux-22-lr/

https://grabagun.com/cz-455-ultralux-22lr-bl-wd-5rd.html?utm_medium=Email&utm_source=ExactTarget&utm_campaign=Daily%20Email
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member
    They are supposed to be super accurate. I've fondled them at Larry's and if I remember right, whatever model it was didn't have sights, guess they expect you to scope it.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 197 Member
    I have a 455 and its decent enough that I have no desire to replace it. I have not found the ammunition it really likes yet. I will some day replace the scope on it. It currently has a scope that I sent in for repair for a huge issue and was told there was nothing wrong, so my issue may still be the scope.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,077 Senior Member
    My kiddo has the 452 “Scout” that is accurate as heck and just an absolute hoot to shoot.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 30,712 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    They are supposed to be super accurate. I've fondled them at Larry's and if I remember right, whatever model it was didn't have sights, guess they expect you to scope it.

This model has iron sights and grooved fer glass. Plus, I guess you can change calibers/bbls mo easy on them.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    mitdr774 wrote: »
    I have a 455 and its decent enough that I have no desire to replace it. I have not found the ammunition it really likes yet. I will some day replace the scope on it. It currently has a scope that I sent in for repair for a huge issue and was told there was nothing wrong, so my issue may still be the scope.

I was watching a YouTube on it and some folks say that when you change .22 ammo brands you should swab the bbl and it takes 10 or 20 shots after that to foul it. I dunno.
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    My kiddo has the 452 “Scout” that is accurate as heck and just an absolute hoot to shoot.

They all seem to be well made and folks seem really happy with them. This long barrelled one is said to put them in there with a good shooter with good eyes with the iron sights.

I haven't wrung all the accuracy outta my Ruger American yet, but have had some darn good 50 yard groups with it using CCI Std/Mini Mags/ and other ammo...never any really expensive stuff, though.

I was reading that the newer Ruger American hvy bbl target model with the heavy bbl has "Fixed" an issue with the bolt whereas some say they polished their standard models on the bottom of the bolt. Seems some claim it scrapes the next round in the mag slightly I guess when you eject the fired one and maybe that effects the accuracy of the follow on shots by deforming the case or bumping the bullet a little............I dunno... maybe load and eject two or more live rounds (carefully) and compare and see if you see any marks where your bolt may be rubbing?
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 197 Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    I was watching a YouTube on it and some folks say that when you change .22 ammo brands you should swab the bbl and it takes 10 or 20 shots after that to foul it. I dunno.

I have had other .22s that didnt care what you through through them as far as cleaning between ammunition brands. Mind you, one was a 597 that didnt group well with anything (besides CCI stinger when I could get it) but held a consisntly sized crap group no matter what you put through it. The other was a Martin Cadet that was converted to .22 and was my first rifle when I was a kid. The Martini was fairly decent no matter what I fed it.

I suspect my issue is the supposed no problem Burris that couldnt place 2 rounds on a 24x24 piece of paper at 50 yards with my .35 Whelen. Swapped the scope on the .35 with one off my .300 win mag and my issee was resolved. Probably change teh scope on the .22 to see if that changes anything.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,422 Senior Member
    I have a 452 and it’s one of the most accurate .22s I’ve ever owned including my old Asnchutz.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    Here is a link to that Ruger American Target.

https://ruger.com/products/americanRimfireTarget/models.html
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,341 Senior Member
    I had a 452 in 17 HMR, it was stupid accurate. Buffco had a 22 WMR at the same time. I sold mine, as at the time 17 was tough to find and expensive. Plus I wanted another rifle, and I sold it for a profit. I keep my eyes open for another in plain ol 22 RF at the right price
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,231 Senior Member
    I have 2 ... a Varmint and a home built precision trainer. Both outshoot me easy but a still can manage to ring a 4” plate at 200 yards okay when it is not much breeze.

Both mine have Yo Dave spring kits ($15) and a little work on the stocks (pillars and bedding). That helped a lot as well as playing with ammo. On a nice day my kid will pull some 1” 5 shoot groups with the good ammo and doing his best.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,422 Senior Member
    I had a 452 in 17 HMR, it was stupid accurate. Buffco had a 22 WMR at the same time. I sold mine, as at the time 17 was tough to find and expensive. Plus I wanted another rifle, and I sold it for a profit. I keep my eyes open for another in plain ol 22 RF at the right price
    Ufff, good luck brother. Even the used ones I see demand more than I paid for mine new a few years back! But then again if anyone is going to find a deal it’ll be you :cuss:
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,145 Senior Member
    I had one. Only 22 more accurate is my Kimber k22 hunter. Great guns. However my Kimber ruined me on rimfire bolt guns, and my nephew was in “need” of a good bolt 22.....
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,827 Senior Member
    I have a 452 Ultra Lux (Aka BRNO 2500)

It's the first rimfire I ever shot a sub MOA 100 yard group with. And did it with Win XPerts

With that LONG barrel, it's quieter than a Daisey 880 pellet rifle using "full house" subsonic ammo.

Edited to add: It took buying an ANSCHUTZ 64 MSR to find a more accurate 22. The difference being, the 64 was more accurate with lots of ammo it liked, but the CZ shoots whatever I happen to be feeding it accurately

Edited again to add: IIRC JBOhio watched me shoot sub MOA groups with it a few shoots ago.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• sherwoodsherwood Senior Member Posts: 1,213 Senior Member
    I have several. Both 452 and 455. Just bought a 455 Varmint. Haven't gotten to the range yet but it's on the list for soonest. All of them shoot like gangbusters.
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 972 Senior Member
    Man, all them CZs are the talk of the town in rimfire circles. The 455 replcaed the 452 from what I can tell, but my knowledge is not much on CZ rifles. Street prices seem to run under $400 for the 455 Ultra Lux.

That's a lot of bbl @ at 28.6"

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-455-ultra-lux-22-lr/

https://grabagun.com/cz-455-ultralux-22lr-bl-wd-5rd.html?utm_medium=Email&utm_source=ExactTarget&utm_campaign=Daily%20Email

Before I stumbled into a stupid good deal on my T-Bolt, I was going to get a CZ bolt action 22.

From my research, I gleaned that some shooters didn’t like the “new” 455 vs the older 452 design. From what I could tell, they believed the older triggers were better +they thought the ability to swap barrels on the new design reduced accuracy. I suspected they were FOS, but have no personal knowledge.

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-455-american-22-lr-5-rd-mag/
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,617 Senior Member
    Let me put it to you this way Chief: If you've got $2000 plus worth of Anschutz 54 Match rifle, I'll maybe trade you straight across for the CZ-452 Military Trainer I picked up for about $150 20 years ago - after I get a chance to test the Anschutz out.

It's on it's third scope. The Weaver 2.5-7 that I bought when I was just thinking "pest control rifle" allowed me to punch out half-inch 50 yard groups - but with a fair amount of eye-strain to line them up. The Weaver 4-16 needed too-tall-for-comfort rings, wasn't giving the resolution I wanted, and was too large for the rifle anyway. The Leupold EFR 3-9 seems to make it a happy field rifle - that just happens to shoot like a match gun when you feed it the right stuff.

It's almost a shame that it's got such awesome open sights; a Mauser-style tangent with a windage adjustment, with a front blade on a sliding ramp for fine-tuning for the exact distance the tangent is set for. The gun wants optics, and good ones. You might consider one of the sightless models, as you then won't have to worry about clearing the rear sight with the scope bell.

The trigger is about the only thing you might want to change to fully take advantage of what it can do. I put an adjustable sear in it years ago - there's more and probably better options now.

Being all steel, with a threaded-in barrel (452, not 455 - that, I understand, is a quick change), dual extractors, and nothing stamped sheet metal but the trigger guard, they're trying REALLY hard to be a Winchester 52. They aren't going to quite get there at their price point, but I've got to respect any company that doesn't cheap out "because it's just a .22".
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    If I ever buy another .22 bolt rifle the CZ has the nod from me. Unless some vintage one known fer being a tack driver falls in my lap for a price I can't refuse.

The long bbl on this model doesn't bother me since it will be a range rifle only for my purposes/uses.

Then again, a shorter CZ model with a scope would be OK too.

Of course, there are variations of current models and some newer ones coming out all the time. Man, all that good craftsmanship and accuracy potential fer under $400 bucks is hard to argue with, though.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,614 Senior Member
    I have the 452 in .22 mag and it is a tack driver at 100 yards.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,617 Senior Member
    The long bbl on this model doesn't bother me since it will be a range rifle only for my purposes/uses.

Think of it as extra sight radius and an expansion chamber for silencing subsonic ammo without a silencer.

But if it bugs you, the "Training Rifle" drops down to 24" and replaces the walnut with beech. Otherwise, the same rifle for about $100 less on the MSRP.

The quick change barrel of the 455 offends my Olde Worlde sensibilities somewhat, but no reason to believe it can't shoot as well as the 452's. Many of the classic rimfires we grew up on have either pinned or clamped barrels . . . to say nothing of AR-15's. If those don't group, you never hear the barrel attachment method was the cause.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    I read you gotta use very high mounts on them to clear the ladder rear sight if you mount a scope. But a selling point of the long bbl and sights is just that, use them sans glass. The option is always there to mount a scope.

It would be interesting to see just how a good shooter with good vision can do without a scope. I imagine most mount a scope eventually, I dunno.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,784 Senior Member
    I have a Marlin bolt action with tubular magazine that I like to shoot sub-sonics in, and it is the most accurate of my .22's - roughly 1/2' groups at 50 yards. Imagine my surprise when a young feller with a CZ-452 and iron sights (peep) was shooting similar groups to the ones I was shooting with a Nikon 4x rimfire scope. It is a very sweet rifle and the only CZ .22 that I've seen in action. Very impressive.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,107 Senior Member
    I have one each in .22LR; a 455 Trainer (Or Standard) and a 455 FS, and any of them will see range use weekly.

The 452 is no longer in production. For $ 450 (Actually $ 700 brand new down here) I can't think of a better quality/performance ratio; all steel less the magazine well and the magazine (Steel ones are available), will usually look and perform great out of the box with little if any homemade twerkings needed. Mine was purchased used as my main scoped small game hunting rifle and had a sliding POI after some shots, but a little sanding of the wood stock in the barrel channel solved this; factory trigger was good and only needed a little loosening of the spring nut to fit my needs (Later I replaced the spring with a lighter one for an even better pull).

Average scoped performance is a single ragged 5-shot hole @ 55 yards, prone or seating with front rest and bulk HV ammo. Later "retired" it as plinking and target matches open sights rifle; the Mauser-ish sights style are great to the job if you're used to them

Got the 455FS as replacement in hunting job of the 452. From what you hear around, these seem to have a lower rate (90% maybe?) of performing as expected out-of-the-box compared with the 452s, needing from some light domestic gunsmith work (Usually properly tightening the barrel and stock screws, sanding the barrel channel or so) up to a return to the distributor (Even complete replacement sometimes) for more elaborate repairs. This wasn't my case since this 455 performed exactly as the 452 under the same shooting conditions.

Overall quality hasn't been lowered; bolt lacks the locking lug of the one in the 452 (Is there an actual need for it?) and as in many other rimfire rifles and barrel is now bolted in place instead of screwed (To allow caliber change). Other than that, rifle is almost the same and unless you're too unlucky to get a "lemon" and will perform above your expectations, specially if using high-end ammo and a good scope.
    Guided by my collector spirit, if given the chance, I'd rather get the still-available 452 before stock runs dry and prices start raising, probably being the American model the best choice for a scoped plinker/hunter; otherwise the 455 is a great, great choice anyway.
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,017 Senior Member
    I have several of the 452 and 453.

If you are not aware, the 453 have the single set trigger. They are not made anymore either. I didnt know about them until a friend let me play with his 527 in 223 with the single set trigger. Really sweet so i jumped on them while i could.

The 452s i have shot some but not all of them. I was in a middle of a test shoot, testing various ammo and guns when i stopped.

Here is a target test from a 452 FS (Full Stock). For some reason i really love those full stock guns.

All of the shots were from 50 yards and benched off a sandbag. I forget the optics since i bought several scopes to try too. Since the gun was new, i think i shot some cheap remingon golden bullets to foul the barrel and then shot 5 rounds of each brand/type of ammo i got for my test. For each different ammo, i shot 5 just to dirty the barrel. No cleaning in between either and no cool down. Just keep on firing. For the scope i adjusted off target and then zeroed it for the red 1 inch dot in the center. All of my POA is in the center of the red dot as best i could for whatever scope i was using at the time. I dont remember if it was windy or not but chances are not so much.

here is a target from my 453 American. They do make a 453 Varmit too. But same note as above apply. Also, i didnt screw with the factory trigger settings, its as - is.

If you can find a 452 or better yet a 453, i would go for it. You may think they are too expensive for the money, but the 453s are not going to get any cheaper.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,421 Senior Member
    I've got a .22 LR CZ, don't know for sure but I think it's a 452, the European rifle with the threaded barrel. It will stack them in the target like a dime at 25 yards with the suppressor on, I don't think I've ever shot it for groups without the suppressor. A fine rifle. Very quiet.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 5,725 Senior Member
    I have the 455 in 22LR, and cpj turned me on to the Yodave trigger kit. Wife got me the 22WMR and 17HMR barrel kits, but I have not shot those yet. What's the term...shoots better than I can. I dig it.
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 640 Senior Member
    I have the 452 american in .22 , I've had it for years beaut rifle and flat out accurate with Winchester power points.

At Christmas I was working with a pest control firm in Central Otago [Orchidman will know] it is in the middle of the south island, stupidly hot in summer xtra cold in winter
    However summer is Christmas time here, these guy are shooting the Vineyards where the rows are max about 120m long.
    They are were using 17HMR's and thermal scopes and suppressors [no spotlight, no lights on the truck] but in the CZ 455 models as the barrels are pined and can be replaced
    They replace them every 5k, which believe me isn't long here.They keep their ear to the ground and buy as many barrels as they can when a shipment comes in.

It's a major business and CZ rifles including ,22, 17HMR, 17Hornet and 223 play a big part.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 972 Senior Member
    ojr wrote: »
    I have the 452 american in .22 , I've had it for years beaut rifle and flat out accurate with Winchester power points.

At Christmas I was working with a pest control firm in Central Otago [Orchidman will know] it is in the middle of the south island, stupidly hot in summer xtra cold in winter
    However summer is Christmas time here, these guy are shooting the Vineyards where the rows are max about 120m long.
    They are were using 17HMR's and thermal scopes and suppressors [no spotlight, no lights on the truck] but in the CZ 455 models as the barrels are pined and can be replaced
    They replace them every 5k, which believe me isn't long here.They keep their ear to the ground and buy as many barrels as they can when a shipment comes in.

It's a major business and CZ rifles including ,22, 17HMR, 17Hornet and 223 play a big part.

What kind of pests?
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 640 Senior Member
    Rabbits and possums, but mainly Rabbits, the whole place is over run with them
    They also dog and use ferrets over shotguns.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • sherwoodsherwood Senior Member Posts: 1,213 Senior Member
    I should add that you need a 20cal cleaning rod. Not a 22cal. A 22cal will have problems getting over the ejector.
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file