Ok, one last AR build with a question?

SIGgalSIGgal Senior MemberPosts: 1,660 Senior Member
Ok, I'm going to build one last AR and am in a toss up between a 300 blackout or 224 Valkyrie. My question is, does the 224 Valkyrie use a standard AR lower? Or would that be an AR10 lower? Is one better than the other? The rifle will be used at the range only, and range only goes out to 300 yards...... thanks :)
"Marriage is a hunting permit that allows you only one dear at a time"

Replies

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,421 Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure it'll work on the 5.56 lower as it's basically a necked down 6.7 SPC.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,022 Senior Member
    It was designed to work with the 15 lower. I vote Valkyrie. I will be getting an upper shortly.

But, since you say the max range will be 300 yrds, the Valkyrie does not make a lot of sense if you already have 5.56 AR's. It is meant for heavy for caliber bullets to reach out there.

This is next on the list....http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-18-rifle-length-224-valkyrie-1-7-stainless-steel-15-lightweight-m-lok-upper-with-bcg-ch-5165447556.html
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,099 Senior Member
    Unless you're shooting 600 plus yards, the Valkyrie is pointless and expensive to shoot. (Assuming buying icky factory ammo)
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,145 Senior Member
    223 Remington or 5.59! 300 or under don’t get fancy:tooth:
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,231 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Unless you're shooting 600 plus yards, the Valkyrie is pointless and expensive to shoot. (Assuming buying icky factory ammo)

And unless you’re going to suppress it I’d say steer clear of the .300BO. To me it’s fun with a can but supersonic ... meh.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,264 Senior Member
    For a range toy out to 300yds I'd go standard .233/5.56. The .224 Valkyrie doesn't start shining over the 5.56 until out past 600, as CPJ said. Additionally the Blackout is kind of a yawn if you don't shoot suppressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • ar15julesar15jules New Member Posts: 17 New Member
    .45-70 Auto by Phoenix Weaponry or bust....
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,648 Senior Member
    ar15jules wrote: »
    .45-70 Auto by Phoenix Weaponry or bust....

:yawn:
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • SIGgalSIGgal Senior Member Posts: 1,660 Senior Member
    For a range toy out to 300yds I'd go standard .233/5.56. The .224 Valkyrie doesn't start shining over the 5.56 until out past 600, as CPJ said. Additionally the Blackout is kind of a yawn if you don't shoot suppressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I already have AR's in .223/5.56, so I am looking for ideas for a new build. So, the .224 isn't worth it for my shooting ability/range size and the .300 isn't worth it without a silencer thing, and cost of ammo. Maybe 6.5 creedmoor? That I know is an AR10 lower.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,648 Senior Member
    If you are not building this rifle with a particular mission in mind other than punching holes in paper at 300 yards......pick one. Ammo availability should figure into your choice unless you reload....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 2,764 Senior Member
    I'm wanting to do a 6.5 Grendel but ammo in stores around here is scarce to none.
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    If you are not building this rifle with a particular mission in mind other than punching holes in paper at 300 yards......pick one. Ammo availability should figure into your choice unless you reload....

I just want something different, that's my mission. Something fun to shoot at our ranges limited range etc. My dad reloads a lot, and ammo price isn't a real big deal since I don't shoot every week.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,264 Senior Member
    SIGgal wrote: »
    I just want something different, that's my mission. Something fun to shoot at our ranges limited range etc. My dad reloads a lot, and ammo price isn't a real big deal since I don't shoot every week.

In that case, .300 BO.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,359 Senior Member
    SIGgal wrote: »

204 Ruger. Its different, extremely accurate, extremely fast, minimal recoil, uses standard bolt face etc, the ammo looks 'cute' cos its so small, whats not to like............?

Edited to add: Your dad can reload for it and will invent new cuss words when trying to load projectiles if he has fat fingers :tooth:
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,643 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    204 Ruger. Its different, extremely accurate, extremely fast, minimal recoil, uses standard bolt face etc, whats not to like............?

That.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member
    7.62x39
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 2,850 Senior Member
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    And unless you’re going to suppress it I’d say steer clear of the .300BO. To me it’s fun with a can but supersonic ... meh.

Exactly. What he and Cpj said. No point in having the valk for range plinking. It was designed to be a “better” 22 cal long range round. And the 300 doesn’t do it for me, except maybe a little thought about subsonic with a can. Just not worth the hassle for a plinker. But, if someone just had the desire for something different and that’s what they want, go for it.
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    7.62x39

Yes, this.
    If you're a communist!
    Zee
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,866 Senior Member
    In that case, .300 BO.

Or a 6x45. That's different and still useful out to 200-300 yards or MORE! The 6mm bucks wind better than 5.56, so you'd have a windy day AR. Hey you did say different.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,827 Senior Member
    I'd go 6.5 Grendel (have 2, 1xAR) or 300BO (gathering parts to build0
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,050 Senior Member
    If all you want to do is make holes in paper for fun, why not put together a bolt action rifle in .223? You already have a few AR's and a bolt gun can make smaller holes.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,688 Senior Member
    And what's the "last" business? We know better, and so do you! :rotflmao:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,643 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    If all you want to do is make holes in paper for fun, why not put together a bolt action rifle in .223? You already have a few AR's and a bolt gun can make smaller holes.

Same size holes, hopefully closer!
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,050 Senior Member
    JKP wrote: »
    Same size holes, hopefully closer!

Oops! Thank you.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,614 Senior Member
    I vote .300 BO, especially for a range toy.

There is also the 6mm 223 or 6x45mm. Larger than a 5.56, up to about 85 gr bullets and fast and accurate. It is essentially a .243 light. Easy to reload from .223 / 5.56 brass.

I am not a fan of anything that requires special parts. Other than a barrel change, the 5.56 NATO, 6x45mm and .300 BO use the same bolt and magazines.

Barrel at Midway.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/644186/ar-stoner-barrel-ar-15-6x45mm-6mm-223-remington-hbar-contour-1-in-8-twist-20-stainless-steel

Ask Zee about his 6x45mm AR . This is his 6x45 build thread. http://forums.gunsandammo.com/showthread.php?19547-My-6x45-AR-build-is-complete!&highlight=6x45

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    BigDanS wrote: »
    I vote .300 BO, especially for a range toy.

There is also the 6mm 223 or 6x45mm. Larger than a 5.56, up to about 85 gr bullets and fast and accurate. It is essentially a .243 light. Easy to reload from .223 / 5.56 brass.

I am not a fan of anything that requires special parts. Other than a barrel change, the 5.56 NATO, 6x45mm and .300 BO use the same bolt and magazines.

Barrel at Midway.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/644186/ar-stoner-barrel-ar-15-6x45mm-6mm-223-remington-hbar-contour-1-in-8-twist-20-stainless-steel

Ask Zee about his 6x45mm AR . This is his 6x45 build thread. http://forums.gunsandammo.com/showthread.php?19547-My-6x45-AR-build-is-complete!&highlight=6x45

D
    That barrel has been discontinued. Which makes the 6x45 and expensive custom barrel project. Which sucks.
    Zee
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,688 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    That barrel has been discontinued. Which makes the 6x45 and expensive custom barrel project. Which sucks.

One word: Gunbroker.

And hope, of course!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,866 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »

And hope, of course!

Well the Grendel then, whatever, they're both about the same. You won't get the benefit of the 6.5s higher BCs in an AR with that case capacity. There's no 140-160 grain bullet going to perform in that case capacity to give you any real gain and you're not shooting long distance either, so I figured the 6mm would be the ticket, if just to be different. Everybody and his dog has a 6.5 Grendel.

Like Zorba says, maybe on Gun Broker or some other online place you could find you a cheap 6mm AR barrel. Zee has had success hunting with the cartridge and Bench Rest shooters use to use it.

Well actually the bench rest crowd used to neck up the .222 Mag. to 6mm and called it the 6x47 (Be careful, there's something newer out there known as the 6x47 nowadays that's not the same thing). But the 6x45 fits an AR, the old 6x47 I'm talking about doesn't, too long. Maybe Shilen or somebody would make you a 6m AR barrel at a reasonable price. They do that kind of thing. Anyway, just a thought.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    And what's the "last" business? We know better, and so do you! :rotflmao:

Lol Zorba..... ok, maybe the last one? I have 4 already. I want to move on to other things like a new hunting rifle maybe or a pistol or two. That and save for a few special days, a fancy white dress and other girl things. I'm sure I will get someone like my dad wanting to build more AR's, but I'm thinking of taking a break after this one. I still want a Tomi gun in my safe with a M1 Garand.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 2,850 Senior Member

And hope, of course!

They aren't there. I was planning a 6x45 build based on the AR Stoner Barrels sold by Midway. So I agree with CPJ that it sucks they discontinued them. I've watched Gunbroker and Ebay for 6x45 barrels. They don't come up. Unless one wants to buy a complete rifle for amounts of money I'm not willing to pay. The only option now for a 6x45 AR is to buy expensive custom barrels.

A quick search on GB right now shows 2 guns in 6x45. A Kimber Varmint for $1100, or a Remington 799 with a buy it now for $750.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file